Chicago-LAX-Seattle, May 9 thru 12.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankster211

Train Attendant
Used the last of my old AGR points back in January to book a roomette for wife and me on the Southwest Chief, transferring to the Coast Starlight.

We flew from Knoxville to Chicago on May 9, along with my sister who booked a roomette and had never ridden a train.

Trip was on time and thankfully free of any irregularities or bad service. My first time on the SWC and the LA to Davis portion of the CS.

I loved the entire trip but I think for me, 3 continuous days and nights is about one day/night too many.

Posting some photos of the CHI-LAX portion. I'll post the second part of the trip later.

EDIT: Adding Photos of Coast Starlight portion. LAX - SEA.......May 11-12, 2016

DSC09651.JPG

DSC09663.JPG

DSC09675.JPG

DSC09714.JPG

DSC09724.JPG

DSC09735.JPG

DSC09760.JPG

DSC09828.JPG

DSC09837.JPG

DSC09860.JPG

DSC09859.JPG

DSC09857.JPG

DSC09869.JPG

DSC09870.JPG

DSC09879.JPG

DSC09881.JPG

DSC09908.JPG

DSC09914.JPG

DSC09919.JPG

DSC09956.JPG

DSC09979.JPG

DSC09995.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

DSC00070.JPG

DSC00094.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00119.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

DSC00181.JPG

DSC00200.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics, thanks for sharing! Most of us agree that breaking up a LD Trip with a stopover or two in interesting places is a good idea!

Everyone's tolerance level is different,IME Age is a big factor in being able to ride for multiple days and nights, especially in Coach!

Very nice--thanks for posting the lovely pictures.

No Flagstaff for greatcats, but I see there's a Princeton. What state is that in? (I looked it up but there are several out west.) I'm sitting about 10 minutes away from Princeton, NJ, right now, and being an east coaster, it is good for me to be reminded that there are other Princetons! :)

Looking forward to the other part of your report. :)

Very nice--thanks for posting the lovely pictures.

No Flagstaff for greatcats, but I see there's a Princeton. What state is that in? (I looked it up but there are several out west.) I'm sitting about 10 minutes away from Princeton, NJ, right now, and being an east coaster, it is good for me to be reminded that there are other Princetons! :)

Looking forward to the other part of your report. :)
Based on the order of the pictures, I'd say it's Princeton, IL

It is La Junta. I don't know where the conductor got on (could be Dodge City), but he was leaving at La Junta.

(I tried to add greatcats quote, by clicking on the "quote" button under his post, but I guess I'm doing something wrong)

I'm not sure it is the same man I have spoken to on previous trips. There is a crew based in La Junta that makes an overnight turn to Dodge City, which works if the trains are close to schedule. The crew is on duty around 7:30 pm in La Junta and arrives Dodge City around midnight and then had a 4+ hour rest period and returns to LAJ about 8:15 am, which is legit, rather like some commuter assignments.

Great photos of your trip. Glad your family had good service, food, etc. Yes, it has come to pass that more than 2 nights on the train is more of a problem as we get older. Its been a while since we have been on the CS. Time to GO WEST AGAIN.. :)

I went back and looked, but no Santa Barbara Station photos.............don't know why, I tried to get every station on the route, if I was awake.

Back