Chicago Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish".
Of course you did, since you’re in Michigan and all. If your from a place, you don’t refer to it as $PLACE_NAME food!

People in Italy don’t call it “Italian food”, it’s just “food”. We don’t call burgers and dogs “American food”, it’s just “food” (unless you’re trying to be super pretentious).

:D

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish". The crispy cheese on the toasted, buttery edges is THE reason to get it.

Detroit, IMHO, is better known for coneys. :)
That's what I grew up calling it too, I only heard of the phrase Detroit style sometime in the last decade. Although it is a deep dish, it doesn't feel as heavy in the stomach as a typical Chicago deep dish does. And yes, the crispy cheese buttery edges are what define it (at least in my mind).

Now I want a couple of coneys Lafayette coneys... Although I would settle for a couple from National as well.

If only I could find them or the pizza I grew up with somewhere here on the Delmarva peninsula.
I think it's because our deep dish is mostly bread, with the toppings and sauce and cheese of a normal pizza. It's glorified breadsticks. :p

Chicago-style has a pie-style crust, so you get just a normal amount of crust and then eighty pounds of delicious, gooey cheese stuffed with meat and veggies and whatever. Then there's the thin layer of sauce on top. It's like eating a casserole, but with tons of cheese.

Also, I've been craving a Lafayette coney for weeks now, so thanks for that. ;)

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish".
Of course you did, since you’re in Michigan and all. If your from a place, you don’t refer to it as $PLACE_NAME food!

People in Italy don’t call it “Italian food”, it’s just “food”. We don’t call burgers and dogs “American food”, it’s just “food” (unless you’re trying to be super pretentious).

:D
Fair point.

I've never had "pizza" from St Louis. Now my curiosity is aroused.

That said, I could go for some Detroit style pizza.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza
St. Louis-style pizza is a distinct type of pizza popular in the Midwestern American city of St. Louis, Missouri[1] and surrounding areas. The definitive characteristics of St. Louis-style pizza are a very thin cracker like crust made without yeast, the common (but not universal) use of Provel processed cheese, and pizzas cut into squares or rectangles instead of wedges.
Other than the Provel (which is probably the most distinctive St Louis addition) this sounds like just about every pizza served up by most Chicago pizza joints, too, which is the sort of staple that Chicagoans really eat.
Triangles confuse us.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked for Papa John's many years ago, we cut our thin crust pizzas into squares instead of triangles. It was called a "Chicago cut" (or "party cut", since the customers had no idea what that meant, but those of us actually cutting the pies called it a "Chicago cut").

When I worked for Papa John's many years ago, we cut our thin crust pizzas into squares instead of triangles. It was called a "Chicago cut" (or "party cut", since the customers had no idea what that meant, but those of us actually cutting the pies called it a "Chicago cut").
The only problem with your recollection is that Papa John's doesn't actually make pizza. They make something, but it ain't pizza, that's for sure. :giggle:

Thanks for the update, I didn't realize that all of the places in Willis Tower had closed. It's been a couple of years since I was on a layover in Chicago!

SAD!
Double-checking, it appears Market Creations on the second floor is still open. But as the OP is connecting on Saturday, of no help as it was always a weekday only place.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mariano's grocery in Greektown, where one can certainly find lots of good, fresh food (including cooked meats, prepared salads, and such) to take and eat.

At Block 37, on Dearborn, is Latinicity with numerous eatery selections. Or, a little further across the river is the Italian equivalent, Eataly.

I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to recommend the Randolph Street restaurant district on this forum, considering how it is one of the most notable food hot spots in the city (and, really, just slightly further than Greektown.)

If one cares to journey a little further, you could easily get to Taylor Street, with all of its selections. (Have some Italian Ice, for goodness sake. It's the best!)

Or hop on the Blue Line to Wicker Park, with its restaurants.

Take the Red Line north and explore interesting eateries around Boystown. Ride south, instead, and you're quickly in Chinatown. Further north, at Argyle, will lead you to even more Asian restaurants in another noted district. And Andersonville has some interesting bread and circuses, also.

Of course, if you want a true Chicago place, with an eclectic variety of locals, head to Bari for an Italian Sub.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mariano's grocery in Greektown, where one can certainly find lots of good, fresh food (including cooked meats, prepared salads, and such) to take and eat.

At Block 37, on Dearborn, is Latinicity with numerous eatery selections. Or, a little further across the river is the Italian equivalent, Eataly.

I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to recommend the Randolph Street restaurant district on this forum, considering how it is one of the most notable food hot spots in the city (and, really, just slightly further than Greektown.)

If one cares to journey a little further, you could easily get to Taylor Street, with all of its selections. (Have some Italian Ice, for goodness sake. It's the best!)

Or hop on the Blue Line to Wicker Park, with its restaurants.

Take the Red Line north and explore interesting eateries around Boystown. Ride south, instead, and you're quickly in Chinatown. Further north, at Argyle, will lead you to even more Asian restaurants in another noted district. And Andersonville has some interesting bread and circuses, also.

Of course, if you want a true Chicago place, with an eclectic variety of locals, head to Bari for an Italian Sub.
Honestly, Latinicity(stupid auto correct on phone for initially not spelling it right) is kinda more like Foodlife in Water Tower Place mall, than it is Eataly. Which is a cafeteria where you're given a card to spend on whatever food items you want to get, each food station scans your card and adds those food items to your bill, then you pay for it. Eataly does NOT have any kind of card system or cafeteria setup like that, and it has both regular stands on the first floor, and a few full service restaurants(besides a few extra stands) on the 2nd floor.
I haven't gone to Latinicity yet, but sadly the online reviews on a few sites scare me from wanting to give them a try. Dunno why. And darnit, now I want to go back to Eataly again thanks to your post! :) Been a darned long time since my last visit, sigh.

And finally I'll add if you go to Chinatown, don't be afraid to also visit Bridgeport. It has a bunch of restaurants that till recently(thanks Diners Drive-In's and Dives!), sometimes fell under the radar (till tht episode, Nana). And Chinese restaurants and shops sometimes opening there instead in recent years, also adding to the flavor of that area. Oh yeah if anyone's into microbrewed/craft beer here(why do I suspect many aren't into that here? maybe I'll be proven wrong), Maria's is a great beer bar.

Speaking of Bridgeport, Pancho Pistola's (on 31st) has good Mexican food and friendly service.

They might be a bit too far south for the average tourist's comfort level, but I always enjoyed eating there when visiting friends on the south side.

Speaking of Bridgeport, Pancho Pistola's (on 31st) has good Mexican food and friendly service.

They might be a bit too far south for the average tourist's comfort level, but I always enjoyed eating there when visiting friends on the south side.
Then I guess I should also add a plug for Pleasant House Pub, which is run by a friend from college and her husband. They serve British pub food, most notably meat pies, which are delicious.

It's in the Pilsen neighborhood on Halsted, a block north of Cermak. It would actually be fairly quick and easy to get there via public transportation (or Uber/Lyft) from Union Station, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for people who are on an Amtrak layover and otherwise unfamiliar with Chicago.

It would actually be fairly quick and easy to get there via public transportation (or Uber/Lyft) from Union Station, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for people who are on an Amtrak layover and otherwise unfamiliar with Chicago.
That's my issue every time one of these threads comes up. I can think of tons of wonderful restaurants in all sorts of interesting neighborhoods, but I know people who've never been to Chicago might be hesitant about wandering more than a few blocks from Union Station. :mellow:

I have a simple solution, just get to Chicago the same days I do...It will be a) raining b) snowing or c) so cold and windy you don't want to go out. I'll be going through again the first week in November, hoping for better luck this time, so much great stuff there to see and do as well as the food scene.....

Now that you have all picked the perfect pizza, it's time for breakfast. (For me, it's always time for breakfast! :) )

Any suggestions for good breakfast places on the other side of the river (North Loop, surrounding area) from Lou Mitchells that are similar--good breakfast, decent prices, and not trendy but not a hole in the wall, either? Or will I be crossing the river to Lou Mitchells every day for my poached eggs and hash browns? :p

Now that you have all picked the perfect pizza, it's time for breakfast. (For me, it's always time for breakfast! :) )

Any suggestions for good breakfast places on the other side of the river (North Loop, surrounding area) from Lou Mitchells that are similar--good breakfast, decent prices, and not trendy but not a hole in the wall, either? Or will I be crossing the river to Lou Mitchells every day for my poached eggs and hash browns? :p
Not too far out of your way - Wildberry Cafe, at the Prudential Building.

Yolk! The servings are huge. They have a few locations in the Loop.

Eggy's is good too. They're near Randolph & Columbus (just east of Michigan).

If you want a delicious cinnamon roll that's as big as your head, go to Ann Sather.

The Belmont location is the closest one to you. It's about half a block east of the Red/Brown/Purple Line stop at Belmont.

Thank you, MisterUpTempo and SarahZ,

I looked up Wildberry, Yolk, and Eggys, and they all look good (and easily walkable from where I'll be staying). If I am lucky, I'll be able to fit in all three, plus maybe Lou Mitchells for lunch instead of breakfast (before the EB west, perhaps, or the Card. coming back east).

I love cinnamon rolls, too, but not sure I'll fit them in--that's also a Philly specialty, so I have that temptation very close to home! :p

What makes the most sense to us is to walk over going West 3 blocks from CUS on Jackson to So. Halstead street in the area called Greektown. Make a right on So Halstead and walk north. Some very good restaurants there and a supermarket with a food court called Mariano's. If that doesn't do it for you a few blocks No on Halstead to S Clinton is where the French Market is. Its about an 8 block walk one way from CUS to the French Market but you can always take a short cab ride back. Lots of great food choices in CHI even for the most discriminating Connoisseur.

As a Chicago native, I'm happy to report Bon Appetit named Chicago "Restaurant City of the Year" for 2017. The subtitle of their article is, "If you're coming to Chicago for deep dish, well, you have to try harder."

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/chicago-restaurant-city-of-the-year-2017

So yes I find it amusing that people will get off a LD train, where they've been treated to Amtrak cuisine for days, and not do their research and find someplace decent to eat -- if they have the time and inclination. That's why I think threads like this are great, and hope people will make good recommendations.

I agree with Manny T, and I have another category for you--I got the Chicago tourist magazine, and it has an article on open-air rooftop restaurants, but just lists a few, and they all look expensive! (Most are on top of hotels.) Anyone have any favorite rooftop restaurants, or (even better) rooftop places for just coffee and pastries, they would like to share? :)

I agree with Manny T, and I have another category for you--I got the Chicago tourist magazine, and it has an article on open-air rooftop restaurants, but just lists a few, and they all look expensive! (Most are on top of hotels.) Anyone have any favorite rooftop restaurants, or (even better) rooftop places for just coffee and pastries, they would like to share? :)
I've only been on three rooftop establishments downtown - bars that serve food.

1) Rooftop at the London House Hotel. Located at Michigan and Wacker Drive. The views are the best. You can see all along the river canyon as well as Michigan Avenue. Also check out the rest of the hotel while you are there. Used as an office building nearly its entire existence. Became a hotel only last year, I believe.

It kills me that while the hotel was named after the London House, a dinner club/jazz club that occupied the first floor for years, and was home to many classic jazz recordings of the 50s and 60s, they didn't actually open a jazz club anywhere on the property. Lost opportunity.

Ha9L9xp.jpg

TbVbB05.jpg

2) The top of the Chicago Athletic Association hotel. Another new hotel conversion project. The whole place is gorgeous. Located on Michigan Ave., between Madison and Monroe. Overlooks Millennium Park and the lake, another priceless view.

3) The top of the Wit Hotel at State and Lake. Very nice bar as well. Hotel is fine, nothing special. View is nice, but somewhat limited.

All three places have the following in common-

1) They are all fairly expensive.

2) When I went to these places (each time on a different Saturday night), I had to wait to get in. That might not be the case if you went on a weeknight or earlier in the day. I'm not sure.

3)Let me preface my next point by saying that it could be me as much as anything...but...all three places had a sort of...hmmmm...trust fund kiddie, Big Ten fratbro vibe to them. Could be the time I went. Again, it could be me. Just putting that out there.

Of the three, London House had the best view. The Athletic Assn. was the nicest place, the Wit was fine, but nothing to get too excited about.

3) Let me preface my next point by saying that it could be me as much as anything...but...all three places had a sort of...hmmmm...trust fund kiddie, Big Ten fratbro vibe to them. Could be the time I went. Again, it could be me. Just putting that out there.
It's not just you. Perhaps it's better on weeknights during autumn. *fingers crossed*

I agree that the London House has the best view, but man... the Chicago Athletic Association is just GORGEOUS.

Still, if I'm going to plunk down money for a rooftop dinner, the London House is well worth it.

Speaking of autumn, Mystic, I'd definitely wear something warm if you're going to dine at one of those places. They're all close to the lake, and it can get pretty windy and cold at night when you're up that high.

These sound like lovely views, and I will definitely go to the Chicago Athletic Association just to see the building (London House was in the article, and the rooftop picture was what started me thinking about it), but way out of my price range, to say nothing of definitely not my crowd. Plus I do not want to get blown into the Lake and miss the Gathering! Now what would be really ideal is a great breakfast place on a rooftop....oh well, can't have everything! :p

Perhaps I can act like I'm lost and wander out on the rooftop to see the view before they catch me at it...."Oh, I'm so sorry--I didn't realize this was a restaurant--I thought I was on the top of the Willis Tower....but what a lovely view you have here!" :p

Back