Chicago Long-term parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
So I'm gonna take a holiday trip to Washington DC. Amtrak OMA-CHI costs an arm and a leg, so I'm driving to CHI. Is there any good place to park long-term (read cheap)? I can park at the airports and take transit to Union Station and back, if thats the best option. I'll be gone for 8 days, Ideally, I'd like to keep parking costs under 70$ for that time.

My first thought was if OMA-CHI is an arm an a leg, then CHI-WAS will cost a shoulder and a thigh as well, but I suppose it is the price bucket that day for the Zephyr.

Maybe consider another Amtrak station on the way like Galesburg, with multiple trains and maybe one in a lower bucket the day of travel?

My first thought was if OMA-CHI is an arm an a leg, then CHI-WAS will cost a shoulder and a thigh as well, but I suppose it is the price bucket that day for the Zephyr.

Maybe consider another Amtrak station on the way like Galesburg, with multiple trains and maybe one in a lower bucket the day of travel?
Yeah, its ironic that its cheaper to travel to Washington and back. Its just the popularity of the route and the bucket system. I also get more flexibility leaving from Chicago. On that note though, Is there free parking in Galesburg, its cheap to take a train from Galesburg and connect in Chicago.

I was going to suggest a Metra station in a west suburb (somewhere along the BNSF or UP-W lines perhaps), but somewhere like Galesburg is a great suggestion as well, assuming the schedules of the Carl Sandburg or Illinois Zephyr meet your needs. As far as the Metra thought goes, I'm not sure which suburbs permit long-term parking, but Naperville or La Grange might be possibilities since stations there are served by Amtrak and Metra.

Yeah, its ironic that its cheaper to travel to Washington and back. Its just the popularity of the route and the bucket system. I also get more flexibility leaving from Chicago. On that note though, Is there free parking in Galesburg, its cheap to take a train from Galesburg and connect in Chicago.
The 2008 edition of the Amtrak timetable says free daily and overnight parking at GBB, not sure about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back