Chicago Luggage Storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth

Service Attendant
I have about 8 hours between my trains at Chicago. Arriving on local train. Leaving on the City Of New Orleans ( in a sleeper car, first time ). Does anyone know if they have a place to leave a couple small bags so I can leave the Station and go looking around town, while waiting on the train to leave. I am not using checked baggage, Getting off at McComb, MS.

Thanks

If you are ticketed for a sleeper, you have access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago Union Station. They have an area there that you can leave your bags while you are out and about. Just ask at the desk when you check in. Have a good trip.

dang jb64 beat me too it :p

If you're in a sleeper you have access to the Metropolitan Lounge, which if I recall correctly has free baggage storage (I'm not entirely sure about this, I've only traveled coach so I don't really know).

Otherwise there are lockers located near the regular coach gates and in baggage claim for $3 and $4 an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great trip Since you are leaving on a sleeper car you get access to the Metropolitan Lounge. They allow you to check bags there for free,but feel free to tip the attendant.

The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago will have free snacks, coffee, soft drinks, ice, water, wi-fi, comfortable chairs/tables, flat-screen tv's, newspapers, early boarding ahead of the crowd, red cap service, and super nice restrooms. Be sure to check it out. They will give you a pass to check in/out whenever you want.

We used the Met lounge in Chicago twice recently and found that it was comfortable etc as already reported. There is a free luggage store. We found that there were no snacks there only plenty of drinks, my guess is that all the snacks had been 'hoovered up' by the early arrivals.

Used the CHI METRO lounge, twice, in the past month----both times left my luggage and my backpack (with laptop) with the RED CAP inside the lounge.....no problems at all...perfectly secure....just tipped a dollar a bag.

John

Actually you are NOT supposed to give them your laptop; it's against the rules. And if something happens to it, Amtrak will not be responsible for it.

Yeah, you're not supposed to hand over luggage containing a laptop or any other electronics. It's expressly forbidden on all trains and in all stations. You're supposed to carry that stuff with you at all times. In a giant shell. Like a hermit crab. Over time you'll discover that visiting Chicago with a giant heavy shell on your back gives you a whole new perspective.

Yeah, you're not supposed to hand over luggage containing a laptop or any other electronics. It's expressly forbidden on all trains and in all stations. You're supposed to carry that stuff with you at all times. In a giant shell. Like a hermit crab. Over time you'll discover that visiting Chicago with a giant heavy shell on your back gives you a whole new perspective.
Someone should open up a place near Union Station that only charges say $1 or $2 an hour, or maybe even a flat all day rate. They could easily make a little bit of money, since I'd rather go there then pay the $3-4/hr at the lockers inside the station

Well.....I did. If it was against AMTRAK policy, then, I was unaware (and nothing was posted in/around the luggage check area).

So, there was me----and three others-----that lived life on the edge that day, and left all of our luggage with the Red Cap......and everything worked out fine. None of us wanted to lug anything around CHI with us.

John

Someone should open up a place near Union Station that only charges say $1 or $2 an hour, or maybe even a flat all day rate. They could easily make a little bit of money, since I'd rather go there then pay the $3-4/hr at the lockers inside the station
Not to mention, the credit card machine for the lockers doesn't work approximately 85% of the time. :( I've taken lots of trips in/out of Chicago, and I've only been able to store my items a couple of times. Another time, I was able to store them, but then the machine was busted and I couldn't retrieve them. I managed to flag down a service guy, and he was able to override the lock and get my stuff out just before my train departed. Ugh.

Well.....I did. If it was against AMTRAK policy, then, I was unaware (and nothing was posted in/around the luggage check area). So, there was me----and three others-----that lived life on the edge that day, and left all of our luggage with the Red Cap......and everything worked out fine. None of us wanted to lug anything around CHI with us.
Maybe it wasn't obvious but I'm actually in agreement with you. Amtrak is way behind the times with their zero tolerance for handling electronics in 2011. Some of us have far too many electronic tools and toys to carry every single electronic device on our person at all times. Amtrak must realize this, but apparently they can't trust their own employees not to break or steal our stuff.

The credit card machine for the lockers doesn't work approximately 85% of the time. :( I've taken lots of trips in/out of Chicago, and I've only been able to store my items a couple of times. Another time, I was able to store them, but then the machine was busted and I couldn't retrieve them. I managed to flag down a service guy, and he was able to override the lock and get my stuff out just before my train departed. Ugh.
I'm glad you got your stuff back but thanks for the warning. All of which leaves me wondering where, exactly, does Amtrak expect us to store our electronics containing luggage at a major hub like Chicago?

Not to mention, the credit card machine for the lockers doesn't work approximately 85% of the time. :( I've taken lots of trips in/out of Chicago, and I've only been able to store my items a couple of times. Another time, I was able to store them, but then the machine was busted and I couldn't retrieve them. I managed to flag down a service guy, and he was able to override the lock and get my stuff out just before my train departed. Ugh.
Or the change machine is broken. On my way down through CUS to FLG, I had to buy something to get change because I couldn't find the service guy. On the way back, I had no change and so he override the system and "bought" my locker for me, then when I returned, he had to override the system again because the system wouldn't accept my code to unlock the locker.

I'm glad you got your stuff back but thanks for the warning. All of which leaves me wondering where, exactly, does Amtrak expect us to store our electronics containing luggage at a major hub like Chicago?
FWIW, I store my luggage, pillow, and blanket in the lockers and carry my laptop bag and iPod with me when I go to the food court to hang out. (I can't stand sitting in the cramped waiting area, especially since it's so hard to regulate the temperature in there.)

The lockers are HUGE. You can fit a person in there. :)

Or the change machine is broken. On my way down through CUS to FLG, I had to buy something to get change because I couldn't find the service guy. On the way back, I had no change and so he override the system and "bought" my locker for me, then when I returned, he had to override the system again because the system wouldn't accept my code to unlock the locker.
Haha. That totally happened to me once. The credit card thingie wasn't working, so I lugged everything upstairs to the ATM, withdrew cash, got change, and then lugged everything back downstairs.

When I got back, the cash thingie was broken, and it was accepting credit cards. Ok, whatever.

Then, after I "bought" the locker, it froze on me and acted like I'd opened and shut it. So I had to use my fingerprint to "retrieve" my items and then buy the locker again.

Next time, I'll just spray them with holy water and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back