Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visited the Metropolitan Lounge this morning Oct 4 to catch the 7:35 an Carl Sandburg. The hostess was very friendly and since I was only one there at the time we chatted and visited a good while and I learned some interesting things. Most important is that the Amtrak employees can only serve as host and hostess and receptions functions. Everything beyond the entrance area is under the control of a contracted consultant. That includes the snack bar stocking, the 12:30 light lunch bar each day and maintenance of furniture, TV's etc. Amtrak employees are not allowed even to turn the volume up or down on TV;s. I also learned that they are no longer leading the passengers in kindergarten walk except the Empire Builder if it load off the North Concourse. But the process to departing the lounge and going to the track or gate was simple enough this morning. There were no roped off areas in the concourse are right adjacent to the tracks so if train is ready to board you just pass through that concourse until you get to your track number and head to the train. Usually there will be someone even possibly the conductor meeting you as you enter the track trainside. For the Carl Sandburg the conductor had not shown up when I arrived so they had me and one other sit just insde the gate D area. Other priority boarding people were in room behind our holding area. As soon as they verified the conductor had shown up,they send me and the other passenger straight to the train before the boarding call was made. Tomorrow, I will find out how boarding the Zephyr will be. Hostess asked and encourage me to use the redcap since I plan to have large suitcase for storage rack on lower floor and two small bags for my roomette. Being diabetic I now carry all my medical supplies in a small lunch cooler type bag separate from my other small bag.

In CUS right now waiting for #7. Quite a spread of food rolled out along with wine tasting, about 45 min ago. Nice place! Boarding seems to be those needing redcaps first, then general boarding. So far, so good. Beautiful job and all employees have been very upbeat and kind . Maybe the kinks are worked out!

So it's recaps and then everyone? Do sleeper customers no longer have priority boarding? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding but that sounds like a bit of a downgrade.

I will be arriving atCUS in the next hour and I do not have time to go through this 700+ thread topic. Can someone who is currently online please come to my rescue! My ride cannot come to get me for about three hours. Am I allowed to show my#8 ticket and wait in the Met lounge this afternoon?? Got two different answers at the Facebook Empire builder site Help!

According to Amtrak's own website...

Metropolitan Lounges are available in Chicago - Union Station, Los Angeles - Union Station and Portland, OR - Union Station to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members. Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks and internet access. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information.
Even though CUS is currently going through an extended transition period it seems like it would be hard to argue with that.

Link: https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there last Thursday and also yesterday. On Thursday, I came in on the Pere Marquette and departed on the Cardinal and to avoid the boarding horror stories I've heard on AU about the LD trains, I was brought to the train by a red cap. Yesterday's experience arriving on the LSL and leaving on the PM was very simple throughout. Both experiences were very similar to my first time in the new lounge back in July. The only noticeable difference was that after the wine and cheese tasting they put three separate nut dispensers on the snack table. In my opinion, it seems that the lounge staff are getting a routine in place and from my observation things are getting better wrt the workings of the lounge.

Any word on if it will become Mandatory to board from the Metropolitan Lounge if you are in Bus Class? I got a couple emails today regarding upcoming trips and the new coach boarding procedures...if anyone has any experience starting on 10/15 please post it. I usually just go directly to the gate in the South Boarding area due to when I arrive at CUS. Below is the email I got:

Dear Amtrak Customer,

We see you are scheduled to board the train or make a connection in Chicago. To provide our customers with a more convenient experience, we now have a new boarding process at Chicago Union Station. Coach Class customers (except Hiawatha Service customers) boarding or connecting to reserved trains in Chicago will need a boarding pass.

When you get to the station, check in with a station employee who will verify your ticket and give you a boarding pass. You will then be directed to the appropriate boarding area to wait for your train. The earlier you check in, the earlier you’ll be in the boarding process. If you don't check in, you'll be among the last to board. General boarding for Coach Class customers will take place in the Great Hall. Since Hiawatha Service trains are unreserved, boarding passes are not needed. Hiawatha Service customers can go straight to the North Boarding Lounge to wait for their train.

Coach Class customers who want priority boarding can purchase a $20 pass for the Legacy Club and enjoy free snacks, TV, games plus the benefit of early boarding access. Uniformed military personnel can enjoy the Legacy Club free of charge.

Seniors age 62 and over, customers with disabilities, families with children 12 and under, and active duty military personnel can board from the South Boarding Lounge, ahead of general boarding.

If you are traveling in a Sleeping car, Business Class, or are a Select Plus or a Select Executive Amtrak Guest Rewards member, you will be boarded early from the Metropolitan Lounge. Just make sure to wait in the in the Metropolitan Lounge in order to take advantage of advance boarding.

Passengers should arrive at Chicago Union Station no later than 45 minutes before departure (60 minutes if ticketing, baggage or passenger assistance services are required). Note that the boarding gates will close five minutes before train departure.

We look forward to welcoming you to Chicago Union Station. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service

If you want priority boarding, yes, you should go to the Metro Lounge and they will announce and direct you where to board. If you head to the South Lounge waiting area, you will board with the coach passengers who have priority over the general Great Hall boarding group. If you board from the Metro Lounge they direct you to the actual gate and you only wait in the old priority alphabetic lounges if you train conductor has not shown up as in my situation. In that case they as me and one other business class customer to sit in the gate area lounge and immediately called us to board after the conductor showed up. I'm sure if you are an old hand at it and know what track to go to, you can "game" the system.

That is not my experience doing this weekly for the past 10 years. I have actually always been priority boarded right at the south gate when I tell them I'm Business class. And I'm not the only one in that waiting area in Business. Business Class has been boarded first from there, then legacy (who has been brought over to that holding pen) and then the Priority General boarding passengers. So I've never needed to go the the ML first. I arrive at the station close to boarding time so no reason to go check into the ML, particularly the old one which always had a line of people trying to get in. By the time I'd get in there they would already be boarding. So I go straight to the South Gate and just tell them I'm BC. My question was only if they were going to MAKE us go to the ML first, and I suppose I'll know next week....or even later today if they're starting this early (they said the 15th). We'll see.

That is not my experience doing this weekly for the past 10 years. I have actually always been priority boarded right at the south gate when I tell them I'm Business class. And I'm not the only one in that waiting area in Business. Business Class has been boarded first from there, then legacy (who has been brought over to that holding pen) and then the Priority General boarding passengers. So I've never needed to go the the ML first. I arrive at the station close to boarding time so no reason to go check into the ML, particularly the old one which always had a line of people trying to get in. By the time I'd get in there they would already be boarding. So I go straight to the South Gate and just tell them I'm BC. My question was only if they were going to MAKE us go to the ML first, and I suppose I'll know next week....or even later today if they're starting this early (they said the 15th). We'll see.
The change mentioned previously and quoted a couple of posts earlier doesn't take effect until 10/15/2016.

My question was only if they were going to MAKE us (Business Class) go to the ML first
Quoting from the recently published boarding rules

If you're traveling in a Sleeping car or Business Class, or are a Select Plus or a Select Executive Amtrak Guest Rewards member, you can wait for your train in the Metropolitan Lounge and will not need a boarding pass. You'll enjoy advance boarding. Just make sure to wait in the Metropolitan Lounge in order to take advantage of early boarding.
So I would say no they won't MAKE you; but don't expect early boarding. If you show up at the old boarding lounge and show your BC ticket they might let you go to the front of the line. But they could just as well yell at you.

I presume you are asking because, as you say, you arrive shortly before departure. If that is the case, I would approach the platform area using the same pathway as those coming from the ML. I think the corridor along side the baggage carrosel merges with the route from the lounge. But I would check it out first. Of course, if you get to the gatekeeper too early, you might be stopped.

I think the corridor along side the baggage carrosel merges with the route from the lounge. But I would check it out first. Of course, if you get to the gatekeeper too early, you might be stopped.
It does.

Since the lounge sends everyone down that corridor to the gatekeeper, who then verifies you're in BC, I'd just head toward the gatekeeper and tell them you're in BC. They don't check to see if you checked into the lounge or not; they just verify you're in BC and eligible for early boarding.

The lounge generally releases everyone about thirty minutes before departure, so you should be good if you tend to show up 15-20 minutes before departure. You might end up in the coach mob, depending on which train you ride, but I doubt you'd be stopped from boarding and sent to the back of the line.

Traveling to New Orleans (Again! Yah!) from Chicago in December.

What can I expect (other than more room and more comfortable seating), especially in terms of the boarding process?

Mrs. George has some mobility issues - will this be an issue?

Traveling to New Orleans (Again! Yah!) from Chicago in December.

What can I expect (other than more room and more comfortable seating), especially in terms of the boarding process?

Mrs. George has some mobility issues - will this be an issue?
Even though you use Sleepers George and get Priority Boarding from the Metro Lounge, I'd still say use a RedCap! EZ PZ!!
Hopefully a Chef will be back on the CONO by then!

The way it worked out last week for me with the Empire builder is this: they called for people needing assistance with redcaps first but almost a minute later asked the people who could walk to go to the correct track. So redcap truly does not get preference because there were several of us lined up and we had to wait for the crews to go out and come back for more pax. It was very organized and we were told to form short lines. Basically boarding is done all at once but people waiting for redcaps end up boarding a little bit later than walkers. It all works out. Have a great trip!

Ok first off. I love the new boarding procedure with coach and the lounges in Chicago (Legacy and Metropolitan).

The only thing I noticed out of the Metropolitan Lounge is the last two times I've used it for boarding, customers have to stick together to find their way. Everyone gets to the end of the double doors to the lounge, and the doors open, then your sights are set on the baggage claim wall and the passengers get the deer in the headlights look. While amusing, you can see the rise in anxiety for those people that they are lost. Last 2 times, I asked them if they are on my train, and if they answer yes, then I tell them to follow me and let's make a right and head toward the south tracks.

In terms of amenities lately, I've seen:

In the afternoon, pre-packaged snacks are available.

At lunch hours, there was fresh vegetables & cheese plates set out.

My father was overall impressed with his first experience in ML.

One of our lunch partners on #5 discussed and was impressed by the showers in ML. Amtrak did provide him with a towel and soap/shampoo as of Oct 2016.

Truth is that the Legacy Lounge was not intended for sleeper passengers, business class, or select plus AGR members. The Legacy Lounge is intended for other coach and regular repeat passengers as there is also an option for a membership for much higher fee instead of the $20 per use fee. Thus, it is a pay for priority option mainly for coach class passengers.

Back