Chicago - St Louis high speed rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not quite, one P42 can pull the Texas Eagle at 100 MPH, because they roll very well, it does not have the signaling needed for speeds 79+ MPH, according to US law
Are you responding to a particular question or comment?

It's been over 6 months since there was a comment in this thread, until yours.
I did not look at dates, I mainly use the app, which does not show info on what topics are "hot"

not quite, one P42 can pull the Texas Eagle at 100 MPH, because they roll very well, it does not have the signaling needed for speeds 79+ MPH, according to US law
Are you responding to a particular question or comment?

It's been over 6 months since there was a comment in this thread, until yours.
I did not look at dates, I mainly use the app, which does not show info on what topics are "hot"
I'm also using the app and the feature I use is the "unread topics" as it keeps everything straight...

An update:

Tons of track work being done between SPI and DWT. We were an hour late on 301 yesterday because of the slowdowns and stops with workers on tracks. Lots of weekend train cancellations to accommodate the work this season.

DWT's new station looks to be almost ready. Tons of parking, brightly lit. Approaches and other roadwork in the area looks to be progressing well.

Work on Lincoln station rehab looks to be in full swing.

Work on BNL's second platform is progressing. Looks like the roof is going up next.

301 doesn't stop in DWT, I'm on 304 in a few days, will see if we stop in old downtown or if they stop at the new station.

Latest word from IDOT is that the Joliet-Alton section will be completed in 2017 which will cut roughly 60 minutes from previous running times for Lincoln Service. Next step would be double-tracking from Joliet-Bloomington and possibly further south which would permit additional frequency and eventual service to Peoria.

Joliet Union Station project is moving ahead with a new platform for METRA/Rock Island in operation east of the crossover. At the same time, a new north/south center platform for AMTRAK and Heritage Corridor is under construction. Pedestrian subways and escalators will connect to the original station building and eliminate foot traffic across a busy BNSF freight line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! BNL and CRV 2nd track platforms are moving right along.

BNL looks have more progress as the cover is also erected and it looked to be electrified.

CRV both platforms are poured and heavy equipment is pushing more dirt next to the parking spots.

Lincoln looks to be a project in work, though much visual progress is hidden.

Does this,mean a reroute for the Texas Eagle Betty???
Jim, I believe the Pantagraph might have made an error in that it says "Trains 321 and 322 will be canceled". It states that "northbound train 22/422 and southbound train 21/421 won't stop between Chicago and St. Louis, Also, "The Texas Eagle may encounter delays of up to 45 minutes traveling on the detour".

There are other inconsistencies in the Pantagraph's article, so I'd advise someone check with Amtrak.

321/322 are the train numbers for chi-stl reservations iirc. 21/22 are running through to Texas. I think this is done to discourage chi-stl bookings in coach on 21/22. I have successfully booked sleepers on 21/22 detours to avoid bus rides.

After riding the TE through the STL - CHI detour (and them still insisting we'd be on time), I'll continue to relish 79 MPH. 54 MPH for nearly 5 straight hours going straight and flat - it's about the most boring ride I've ever been on with Amtrak.

Same scenery as on any Midwest route. Cornfields and small towns. I enjoyed it because my grandfather worked on the C&EI which 21 and 22 run over on the detour. He used to always talk about Woodlawn jct. It was cool to ride over it on Amtrak.

Next step would be double-tracking from Joliet-Bloomington and possibly further south which would permit additional frequency and eventual service to Peoria.
Has there been serious talk about service to Peoria? I haven't really been following progress on the Illinois trains since leaving Chicago.

Same scenery as on any Midwest route. Cornfields and small towns. I enjoyed it because my grandfather worked on the C&EI which 21 and 22 run over on the detour. He used to always talk about Woodlawn jct. It was cool to ride over it on Amtrak.
I don't disagree with that, but a 25 MPH difference in speed makes a LOT of difference, not to mention the typical route between Chicago and St. Louis has 7 stops which breaks up the monotony. I can't think of anywhere else on the Texas Eagle, SWC or the CZ where the train travel more more than a couple hours without stopping, the longest legs being in the middle of the night.

Again, I enjoyed the rare mileage (becoming not so rare mileage over the past decade), but it got REAL boring for me after the first three hours. Now, I will say that when I was there, the refrigeration in the dining car went out and so there was no food service. We all got little snacklets which were nice.

Next step would be double-tracking from Joliet-Bloomington and possibly further south which would permit additional frequency and eventual service to Peoria.
Has there been serious talk about service to Peoria? I haven't really been following progress on the Illinois trains since leaving Chicago.
Not anytime soon with the current Governor and the just say no crowd of zealots in charge in Washington!

There was an Amtrak/IDOT study about 5ish years ago that gave a high level look at a number of route options and, IIRC, ultimately recommended improved/expanded Thruway bus connections between Peoria and Normal.

Anyone have an update on when trains will begin 90mph operation? No media or any real updates for a few months. Not seeing anything in near future schedules on amtrak.com with adjusted arrival or departure times.

Anyone have an update on when trains will begin 90mph operation? No media or any real updates for a few months. Not seeing anything in near future schedules on amtrak.com with adjusted arrival or departure times.
IIRC, Amtrak wasn't going to be allowed higher speeds - though 90 seems less than the peak speed for this segment.

IIRC, Amtrak wasn't going to be allowed higher speeds - though 90 seems less than the peak speed for this segment.
I was under the understanding that the Lincoln Service trains would have higher speeds, but that the Eagle wasn't part of the arrangement.

I was under the understanding that the Lincoln Service trains would have higher speeds, but that the Eagle wasn't part of the arrangement.
True, and its taking forever to get the Tracks in shape for the Higher Speeds with lots of work still to go, especially around Chicago and St.Louis!

All told, to date this "HSR charade" has been an ARRA09 (Stimulus) project to rebuild a line for UP freight operations. All it has meant to passengers is one busteetoot or another or, in the case of the Eagle, for other than railfans, a slow ride through the cornfields.

Why they didn't fund from the get-go to "redouble" track the entire route escapes me. The GM&O only ripped up the second track during '68, so right of way was there to support a double tracked road.

All told, to date this "HSR charade" has been an ARRA09 (Stimulus) project to rebuild a line for UP freight operations. All it has meant to passengers is one busteetoot or another or, in the case of the Eagle, for other than railfans, a slow ride through the cornfields.

Why they didn't fund from the get-go to "redouble" track the entire route escapes me. The GM&O only ripped up the second track during '68, so right of way was there to support a double tracked road.
Because they have bought the CTC snake oil promises peddled by the CTC vendors? [emoji57]

Back