\chicago to halifax& back w/ stops-30 day pass Amt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_barb

Having trouble with stops and winding up in places overnight that we do not want to stay. Leaving next Tuesday.

North American Rail Pass 30 days

Chicago to Canada.

Want to stop in Montreal,Halifax,Quebec.

Understand that we have to stop in Toronto

Would love to go to West coast but might not make it.

Also need inexpensive hotels for short overnight stays.

Does the train pick up in Niagra Falls on the Canadian side? If we get off in Buffalo Depew can we get to Niagra Falls since we have 7+hours in Buffalo of all places and can we see the falls and than depart on Amtrak going North?

Hi:

I would suggest taking a bus from Buffalo to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Both Greyhound and Coach Canada have several buses a day. Takes about 1 hour.

www.greyhound.ca

www.coachcanada.ca

In Niagara Falls Ont., Amtrak’s Maple Leaf becomes a VIA Rail train and continues thru to Toronto leaving Niagara Falls at 5:45pm. It picks up local passengers.

You would then use VIA corridor trains between Toronto and Montreal. If you want to stop in Quebec City, I would suggest doing it on the way to Halifax. You could take a morning corridor train from Montreal to Quebec City. Spend the day there then take VIA’s Shuttle Bus from the downtown Quebec City station over to Charny (12 miles) where the Halifax train departs from. (Shuttle leaves downtown at 9pm) You can also do it coming back from Halifax but the shuttle would have you in downtown Quebec at 5:30am.

VIA’s Halifax Station is in the Westin Hotel and rates there start at $100 + a night. The cheaper Comfort Inns and Holiday Inn Express etc. are all outside the downtown area and would require a taxi ride.

Enjoy your trip!

I know the problem you're facing - connections between Canada and Chicago are pesky - the whole direction ('clockwise' instead of 'anti-clockwise' - see jamesbrownontherails.blogspot.com) of my N. America Rail Pass trip has been influenced by the fact that Amtrak can make a connection Montréal to Chicago, but not Chicago to Montréal... :blink:

So, while the Greyhound might be the most sensible option, here are two possible alternatives... maybe not what you were expecting....!

1) This is the expensive option, unless you can find good last minute deals on rooms. It's good if you 1) really don't like the idea of spending seven hours in Buffalo 2) don't fancy spoiling your rail trip with a leg on Greyhound bus and 3) want to get the most out of your railpass. Travel Chicago - New York (by the 'Cardinal' perhaps to add some variety of scenery?) spend the night there and then take 'The Maple Leaf' to Niagara Falls the next day. Spend the night and the leave on the 0645 (Mon-Fri) / 1410 (Sat-Sun) VIA train to Toronto. Both would allow you to connect to Montréal (arriving in Montréal at 1426 or 2355 respectively). So you have two nights of accomodation to find in New York and Niagara Falls, ON, but not Toronto.

2) .... or go to Niagara Falls on your return instead. Travel via Buffalo to Toronto and take it easy in Buffalo for lunch and maybe visit a gallery (the Albright-Knox Art Gallery is a stunning collection: I could personally pass seven hours quite happily there....). Catch the Maple Leaf through to Toronto, stay overnight, then continue your trip Montréal - Québec - Halifax - Montréal - Toronto. Then take the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls, ON and spend the night there before leaving the next morning. That means hotels needed in Toronto and Niagara Falls.

So, certainly a difficult one re: accomodation. Your solution may well be the best, but I admit it would feel a bit of a let down to have to resort to the 'hound. But, it's not yet high season, and you're booking late, so you might find a good last minute deal. Have you tried priceline.com - start your bidding at 25% - 30% below the lowest rate you can find elsewhere and see what you get. I always find planning Rail Pass trips throws common sense out of the window. It's not usually a matter of 'do I want to go there' but 'ooo.... I can go there... let's do that instead'....

Enjoy the trip.... if you need any inside tips for Montréal, drop me a line. I'm no good on hotels (although we do have a couch) but everything else I should be able to help :blink:

Happy travelling,

*j*

Spend at least a day in Quebec City. The city is very European with narrow cobble-stone streets in the old city. Nice little cafes and bars. If you don’t speak French, no problem. There is always someone in a shop or restaurant who speaks English.

VIA’s station is the “Gare du Palais” and has been beautifully restored. It’s located just outside the gates to the old walled city and fortifications. If you get a chance (an easy walk, but uphill!) Take a guided tour of the famous “Chateau Frontenac Hotel” The former Canadian Pacific Railway Hotel now a Fairmont. A Castle on the hill overlooking the St Lawrence River that you see in all the postcard views of Quebec.

Here's a link to some photos of the station I took last winter.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp...lder_id=1599938

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back