Chicago to Minneapolis Saint Paul - Amtrak Bus question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Guessing that with the reduced Amtrak train schedules buses are used more often as a stop-gap. Checking the CHI ~> MSP route and see the 8307 Connecting Bus is the sole transport on certain dates.

Any information as to whether this is seats on a commercial bus service (Greyhound etc) or if the bus is contracted solely for Amtrak purposes?

Thanks

Guessing that with the reduced Amtrak train schedules buses are used more often as a stop-gap. Checking the CHI ~> MSP route and see the 8307 Connecting Bus is the sole transport on certain dates.

Any information as to whether this is seats on a commercial bus service (Greyhound etc) or if the bus is contracted solely for Amtrak purposes?

Thanks
It seems to be Greyhound Lines trip #4932. It starts at Chicago Union Station, before departing the Greyhound Terminal...

Thank you sir, that would make sense.

If we visit the US this year we would not be riding regular scheduled buses (although do during most visits), but have so far found Amtrak contracted buses were rarely more the 25% full which in the current situation is a big advantage. We would be prepared to look at Amtrak buses in lieu of a train or with a more convenient arrival time.

How are you finding your new? home, wasn't it NYC before?

Thanks again, I should have looked up the Greyhound schedule myself but heading buzzing with bureaucracy every day at the moment.

It seems to be Greyhound Lines trip #4932. It starts at Chicago Union Station, before departing the Greyhound Terminal...

I can confirm this - I've looked at it in the past and it's just the Greyhound run (typically at a higher price.)

If we visit the US this year we would not be riding regular scheduled buses (although do during most visits), but have so far found Amtrak contracted buses were rarely more the 25% full which in the current situation is a big advantage. We would be prepared to look at Amtrak buses in lieu of a train or with a more convenient arrival time.

At least for the moment, Megabus is only selling up to 50% capacity. I'm not sure how long that will last - and once they remove that cap, I've been on trips where it's basically 100% full pre-COVID. That said, you can buy two seats for one person (or four seats for two people) and expect that to allow you to have two seats per person. If doing this, I'd recommend paying the extra buck per seat for assigned seating - that way you don't get stuck with no seat pairs open when you board or people trying to sit next to you. I've done this before and it's worked out well.

Just FYI: they're not currently offering assigned seating because of the 50% capacity restriction, though it sounds like once they go up to 100% capacity again they'll offer some seat reservations. I'd expect them to restore it at some point, as it's basically free money for them.

I can confirm this - I've looked at it in the past and it's just the Greyhound run (typically at a higher price.)

At least for the moment, Megabus is only selling up to 50% capacity. I'm not sure how long that will last - and once they remove that cap, I've been on trips where it's basically 100% full pre-COVID. That said, you can buy two seats for one person (or four seats for two people) and expect that to allow you to have two seats per person. If doing this, I'd recommend paying the extra buck per seat for assigned seating - that way you don't get stuck with no seat pairs open when you board or people trying to sit next to you. I've done this before and it's worked out well.

Just FYI: they're not currently offering assigned seating because of the 50% capacity restriction, though it sounds like once they go up to 100% capacity again they'll offer some seat reservations. I'd expect them to restore it at some point, as it's basically free money for them.

Thanks Jeb, that's all helpful

I agree with Jeb, Jaime.

I know yall like buses, and Mega Bus is a really good deal if they have routes where you want to go, and you dont mind getting off @ definitely not Regular Bus Stations.( lots are just Roadside Loading,Drop off)

Anybody know if Megabus is comfortable for tall people? I'd hate to get stuck on a long trip with crushed knees.

Leg room is okay but not great. I'd compare it to coach on a legacy airline. That said, as someone who's just over 6', I'm fine if I buy the neighboring seat so I can have two seats to myself, even on an overnight trip. The sleep isn't great, but it's good enough for me to still be able to do "day trips" to Chicago from MSP while taking the bus overnight both ways (though by the time I get back home I'm still wanting to take a nap.) I did do a trip during the day where the bus was 100% full and I only had one seat, and it wasn't terribly pleasant (though my girth was just as much of an issue for that as my height.) That said, they're cheap enough that even doing two seats is cheaper than either flying or taking Amtrak, at least pre-COVID (current pricing on the MSP - CHI route seems much higher than normal currently.)

I've ridden Megabus with my service dog from Chicago to St. Paul. It's OK, but I'm only 5-6 so can't speak to height. Plenty of knee room. I did buy a seat for my dog.

If you're comparing buses, I find Greyhound's Prevost's much more comfortable than Megabuses Van Hool double decker's...especially if taller than its 5'9" ceilings....

If you're comparing buses, I find Greyhound's Prevost's much more comfortable than Megabuses Van Hool double decker's...especially if taller than its 5'9" ceilings....

Megabus has actually shifted to single-decker buses on the MSP - Chicago route. They're the same buses that seem to be used by Coach USA and Wisconsin Coach Lines out of Janesville, WI. They closed their Chicago base in 2016, and I don't think that'll come back unless demand increases well beyond where it was in the late-2010s. I remember seeing that the Chicago - Atlanta route was based out of Atlanta, and the Omaha route was reinstated through a contractor for a couple years but is also now indefinitely suspended. Right now the only Megabus route that goes to Chicago is the MSP route (with stops in Milwaukee and Madison) that runs once a day - a far cry from the days where you could go pretty much any direction from Chicago multiple times a day, and with connections make your way all the way to the East Coast, the Southeast, or Texas.

EDIT TO ADD: Greyhound's buses may be comfortable if they were actually maintained properly. The last couple trips I've tried them, the seats have had broken recline, broken footrests, torn seats, etc. - clearly been neglected since the last refresh (and this was pre-COVID.) Since then I'll pay more for basically anyone else, simply because I don't want to pay for a service that terrible.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on the bus... when it comes to overall comfort it's a totally different experience than the train. No getting up to stretch or move around... and if you get a neighbor... 'anything goes.'

Another issue is the use of the WC which for some of us old timers with plumbing issues is certainly a consideration. Sometimes the onboard WC is out... sometimes the driver locks the WC door so he doesn't have to be hassled.

On a more positive note... the scenery in Wisconsin is beautiful by bus or by train.

Finally, don't forget to use Google as a search tool... providing one with all the options!;)

1611856108796.png

Some thoughts on the bus... when it comes to overall comfort it's a totally different experience than the train. No getting up to stretch or move around... and if you get a neighbor... 'anything goes.'

Another issue is the use of the WC which for some of us old timers with plumbing issues is certainly a consideration. Sometimes the onboard WC is out... sometimes the driver locks the WC door so he doesn't have to be hassled.

On a more positive note... the scenery in Wisconsin is beautiful by bus or by train.

Finally, don't forget to use Google as a search tool... providing one with all the options!;)

View attachment 20480
Forgot to mention the 'fingers in your face' thing that happens more frequently now than ever before. The passenger in front of you leans the seat all the way back, then drapes those big hands back on the seat back literally inches from your face. the same stuff that goes on in the air with tight plane seating.

I had a guy who insisted on leaning back, then draping his hands so close to my face that I could smell them. To make matters even worse his hands were dirty and smelly! There are also irritations from behind you... like feet propped up upon your seat back.

Guess what! This won't happen on Amtrak because most car attendants are vigil and won't allow it!

Ugh!

feet-on-a-plane- they do it on the bus too!.png

1611857004319.png

Attachments

• feet-on-a-plane- they do it on the bus too!.png
    feet-on-a-plane- they do it on the bus too!.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 0
Back