Chicago to Washington D.C. for Columbus Day Weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be departing on 30 this evening. Of course part of the fun of train travel is the little routines that one does before leaving. Mine is tracking the trains on ASM to see how things are going during the week of the trip. This morning's 29 is in its normal place in Indiana running about 1 hour late with 49 on its markers. After I take attendance for first period I flip back over and notice a black square southeast of Indianapolis. I notice this is 50 which is due into NY tomorrow, and the equipment on this train will likely be used for Sunday's run of 51, which I will be boarding in Washington, D.C. 50 is in service disruption and is running 6 hours late. I am anticipating a late departure of 51 on Sunday.

After chewing out a student who has been late to class and school and has not completed assignments, I took another look at ASM. 6 is in service disruption mode and 3 hours late. Now I am wondering if 30 will be held for 6. I told the lagging student that 6's 3 hour delay will give me plenty of time to text his father if he does get at least two assignments done today.

After chewing out a student who has been late to class and school and has not completed assignments, I took another look at ASM. 6 is in service disruption mode and 3 hours late. Now I am wondering if 30 will be held for 6. I told the lagging student that 6's 3 hour delay will give me plenty of time to text his father if he does get at least two assignments done today.

Meany! 😀

It was a whirlwind end to the school day. No major hassles. Out the door as quickly as possible. Stopped at Connie’s Pizza and ate a small pepperoni. Parked near Union Station using the ParkWhiz app. I paid 61 dollars for 3 days. Total.

Into the metropolitan lounge at 5:50. Asked to use a shower. It’s easier there than on a moving train. Returned the shower key at 6:05 and was informed that 30 was boarding. Earliest boarding in a long time.

SCA professional. Got the coke and brownie and I was eating while we still in Union Station. He got the 20.

We are rolling along at 79 mph. A full moon. I’m on the right side. That will give me good views over sand patch.

It was a whirlwind end to the school day. No major hassles. Out the door as quickly as possible. Stopped at Connie’s Pizza and ate a small pepperoni. Parked near Union Station using the ParkWhiz app. I paid 61 dollars for 3 days. Total.

Into the metropolitan lounge at 5:50. Asked to use a shower. It’s easier there than on a moving train. Returned the shower key at 6:05 and was informed that 30 was boarding. Earliest boarding in a long time.

SCA professional. Got the coke and brownie and I was eating while we still in Union Station. He got the 20.

We are rolling along at 79 mph. A full moon. I’m on the right side. That will give me good views over sand patch.
You always provide an informative trip report. Looking forward to this one. Have a fun trip.

Last edited:
Breakfast was not good. The sandwich was not cooked properly. I had two bowls of cere. We will arrive about 20 minutes early. Excellent time keeping. The sca has been very precise in his announcements. Gave updates at each stop on projected early arrival into noon station.

'Cooked properly?' The best breafast sandwich on an east coast train is on the NEC...the new bacon/egg/cheese Bialy is tasty, even when nuked for 2 minutes, and most of the cheese is stuck inside the wrapper. 1 min or 2, there's no such thing as 'cooked properly' on the Amtrak menu. Although the NEC cafe burgers are sort of OK.

My train had two sleeping cars and a diner. Did not count the coaches. There was one engine. I was in 3001 which was the second sleeper behind the engine. I could hear the horn. But I liked it. Once I slept I didn’t hear it. I missed the stops in Toledo, Cleveland and Alliance. I woke up at Pittsburg and cleaned my windows. Then sleep until
7:30.

The Grand Hyatt is a nice property. I got the breakfast included rate and the buffet was ok. But no cooked to order eggs. The bacon was awesome. The service minimalist. 1 cup of coffee and one glass of water with no refills offered resulted in no tip. There was no greeting or any communication except what was required from the server. Not busy enough to warrant this kind of behavior.

The hotel was located perfectly for a visit to the Apple Store. The charger that I had bought on Amazon 6 months ago stopped working. I had the cube and usb-c cord to charge my phone. But no usb-c for my watch. While at the Apple Store I upgraded to the series 8 watch with the larger screen. I like it. Traded in the old one and received 155 dollar credit to use towards the new watch. Apple is pretty efficient at getting things done and thus making more sales. The store was in the ornate Carnegie library. An interesting setting for an Apple Store.

I ate at Joe’s Crab Shack for dinner last night. A server no if 5 claws would cost 99 dollars. I opted for fried chicken at 24 dollars. The French fries were a la carte but delicious as well as the chicken. I ate a gold brick sundae for dessert. Then Ubered back to the hotel.

I’m now at Union Station waiting for 51 which left Baltimore on time.

I am now onboard 51 in car 5109. It is the last car on the train. The windows on every car are filthy. But I can still see out.

The SCA, named Melanie is pleasant. She explained the features of the car. Asked that I placed tissue in the toilet before using it. Explained that this helps the vacuum system work better. This was okay imho.

She was ready to take my lunch order. I told her I was planning on purchasing a cheeseburger. She told me she would ask the attendant if he would comp it. I thanked her and told her if he said no I would be ok with that. Should be a good trip.

There are two bathrooms. One has a crew only sign in it. The bathroom I used looked like a superliner bathroom. The shower was a new design. There are bed sheets over the window to the baggage area on the passenger side of the door. Of course I peaked. Sheets cover on the other side too. They don’t want you looking in there. Period. So no railfan view what so ever. I’m not upset. Just reporting.

My train had two sleeping cars and a diner. Did not count the coaches. There was one engine. I was in 3001 which was the second sleeper behind the engine. I could hear the horn. But I liked it. Once I slept I didn’t hear it. I missed the stops in Toledo, Cleveland and Alliance. I woke up at Pittsburg and cleaned my windows. Then sleep until
7:30.
Oh no! Pittsburgh lost its 'h' again! For a humorous explanation of why Pittsburgh has an 'h' (except for a brief period in the early 20th century...which happens to coincide with construction of Daniel Burnham's magnificent station) and most burgs don't, see this post.

I too enjoy your posts Steve!

I’m wondering Steve if Connie’s Pizza is far from Chi Union Station?. In the early 60s my sister in law’s bro was offered a two thousand dollar stake in the Dog House - it was on a sidewalk at first - (now on Fullerton). He couldn’t come up with the scratch. I liked the Fullerton Dog House very much - wooow MALTEDs!

I wanted the Cardinal but my schedule forced me to on the Capitol to DC. With an 11 hour DC layover before I catch the night train to Boston I plan to visit the national zoo and have a very long dinner at the Irish pub fairly close to the Capitol Union Station called THE DUBLINER - for Saturday nite then onto DC’s Union Station.

Hopefully I arrive on time to BOS (about 200 hour loop - IN COACH) then onto the DOWNEASTER out of BON to Wells which offers great l parking for LD trips. Then I’ll arrive on time to my grand niece’s fourth bday. I bought her some swag of SHOEBERT the seal that received Boston’s attention last week. Her grandfather and I happened to see Shoebert on his swim from Block Island RI. The siting was confirmed by the Mystic Aquarium featured here::.

Connie’s pizza is about a 10 minute Uber ride from Union Station. There is also aBeggars pizza at the intersection of Jackson and Clinton. The best option for pizza 🍕 f you take an Uber would be Pizzeria Uno. Check the options out on yelp for photos of the pizza.

Connie’s is on OpenTable if you want reservations. Pizzeria Uno can have a wait. So don’t do that one if you are in a hurry.

We say for an extra hour in Indianapolis and left an hour late. I don’t know why and didn’t ask. The sca brought breakfast. This time the sandwich was better. They were out of fruit loops. Rice Crispies filled in.

The track in Indiana has been improved. Welded rails and a smooth ride.

Back