Chicago Twin Cities second daily service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Just-Thinking-51

Very bored and cranky pundit
AU Supporting Member
I know the Illini/Saluki trains use Superliners but I'm not aware of any other corridor trains out of Chicago that use them regularly.

There seem to be more than one set of Superliners in use out of Chicago for regional traffic. However I am not based there so can’t be sure. I am also sure they float around on assignment.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Funding is now in place for starting the second frequency between Chicago and the Twin Cities.

No real RR Job
AU Supporting Member
So many variables here - - -
Just a few - - -
If these second trains operate in the daytime - no bilevel sleepers diners coach and lounge cars needed - a single level consist Hiawatha would work.
A baggage car in the mix adding a cafe car would replace a diner.
A consist of locomotive baggage and 5 more cars should work well
A Push-Pull configuration not required as both end points have a WYE
Duplication of service to some small cities Portage Columbus Tomah could be flagged or eliminated
Future expansion origin/termination at Duluth this consist would work well
Think of this second train more as a business/commuter express rather than a tourist excursion
CP Rail would no doubt like a shorter faster train set to run the tracks around their freights and
BNSF expansion included (Duluth ! St. Cloud ? Willmar ?)

Now if this hope dream doesn't get derailed - with the price of fuel - alternate transportation modes are going to be one solution !

The tracks are there - upgrade the slow deficient spots - lets getter done !

west point

Engineer
Unlikely but CPRR could allow quick start as long as improvements made later? Schedules would need to be longer at first but once improvements completed??? Wouldn't that upset the other class 1s?

SwedeC

Train Attendant
Was there any mention of using UP (Ex-C&NW) trackage north of Milwaukee to give service to other cities? Sorry I'm behind the curve on this one.

WICT106

OBS Chief
Was there any mention of using UP (Ex-C&NW) trackage north of Milwaukee to give service to other cities? Sorry I'm behind the curve on this one.
No. There is an effort afoot to add future service along the "400" route, diverting at Camp Douglas, and operating via Eau Claire, but following the existing route Camp Douglas - MKE.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
Unlikely but CPRR could allow quick start as long as improvements made later? Schedules would need to be longer at first but once improvements completed??? Wouldn't that upset the other class 1s?

I vaguely remember hearing a quick start being mentioned in one of the articles when the full funding was approved. Not sure about the details of that or if it's realistic, though, but the way I remember it mentioned made it sound like CP was okay with it. It certainly doesn't hurt that CP is trying to get approval for a big merger, so they're likely being a bit more flexible and friendly to Amtrak than normal - although I will note that they currently have the top grade from Amtrak, and in my experience they generally do a good job handling the Builder "on-schedule" even when BNSF has one of its frequent bad days and the train's delayed 2, 4, or 12 hours.

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant
From trains.com-

The final design phase of the project to add a second Amtrak passenger train between Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul has begun, with public comments now being accepted and public meetings to show plans for the service expected to be held this fall.

------------------SNIP-------------------

Final design is expected to be complete in summer 2023, with construction beginning late that year and concluding in 2025. The second train is expected to begin operating in 2024 or earlier.

WisDOT's TCMC page
MnDOT's TCMC page
Anyone wishing to comment on TCMC can do so here

TRN_TCMC_map.jpg