Chicago Union Station discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question - is it possible to stay on the trains levels rather than going up to the lounge? And is there any seating there?

We'd be coming in on the Texas Eagle, catching the Blue Water. It's only about 3 hours, and both myself & my daughter are train enthusiasts who kind of just want to hang out & watch all the train traffic after maybe a quick run to the sleeper lounge for snacks & bathrooms if needed. Is there a good, mobility friendly place to do that?

My answer would be a qualified yes. Though commuter waiting seating is limited in both north and south concourse atriums, there is some. I'd say a bit more on the north side. You can see some of the benches in one of my photos. Whether you'd want to remain there for an extended period of time with luggage is another matter. So, definitely drop it off first in the sleeper lounge.

As others have noted, what you'll see is occasional trains come and go, along with their passengers. You might also have to hear the sometimes oddly incessant automated voice track announcers.

There may be better places to railfan, of course, including north of Ogilvie near Canal & Fulton (a GREAT place where the trains north out of Union Station are at street level and Metra trains from Ogilvie at a viaduct overpass); the Halsted Ave bridge a couple blocks south of the Grand Blue Line station (where westbound trains on tracks run under and north/northwest trains from Ogilvie pass on a nearby viaduct), or at street level in the Fulton Market district, anywhere in the blocks just west of Halsted (where it's essentially the same train traffic.). Really, all three of these spots you'll see the same trains, just from different perspectives. You could easily grab lunch somewhere in the latter area. As one can at historic Manny's Deli (or Maxwell Street hot hog/Polish sausage stands) if one opts for the aforementioned (by others) Roosevelt Rd. bridge.

However, unfortunately, none of this is extremely well suited with mobility issues. So, assuming you don't have luggage to drag along, and with due consideration of how limited your walking may be, I might make this suggestion (or, at least, it's a thought.) Take a bus or Uber/cab/whatever you prefer to Millennium Park, a few blocks away. Specifically, have a little stroll through the Lurie Garden (across the street from the Monroe entrance to the Art Institute), if you're up for it. It isn't huge, and much can actually be experienced just by walking in and being present. There are some benches (and planter ledges) where you can sit. Immediately across the street (next to the museum) on Monroe, you'll see (and hear) over the bridge into the path where Metra Electric and South Shore trains pass. (A favorite place of mine, with sights and sounds I consider refreshing and peaceful.) You might even grab lunch at the park cafe or a sandwich place across Michigan Ave on your way back to Union Station, if you wish. A pleasant way to enjoy and take in the "city in a garden" with sights and sounds of trains, nearby, on a nice little layover.

Immediately across the street (next to the museum) on Monroe, you'll see (and hear) over the bridge into the path where Metra Electric and South Shore trains pass. (A favorite place of mine, with sights and sounds I consider refreshing and peaceful.)
A view something like this:20210915_102320.jpg

Do you mean Canal St? I'm not familiar with any exit directly from the lounge (even emergency only) to Jackson.
A picture diagram photo image explains it better -

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.878778,-87.6404608,281m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

CUS is in the center of the image - note that CUS is actually 2 blocks - the west block is the Great Hall Metropolitan Lounge and the east block with trains underground (building) food court concessions between that level and the street access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.878...9oezOH-hbNTfbILg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

NOTE the stairs - no ramps or other assist entering the building at this point !

This image view looking north from Jackson St to the street level entrance to the Great Hall
The windows with the flower pots in the window sill is the location of the 2nd level of the
Metropolitan Lounge (NO ACCESS) --- behind this view is the Union Station Bus Transit Center

Zooom the Google map image IN & Out for more or less detail - - - Click in the middle of any street - small window opens with street view - click on that to see that view - pan around for views from that point - - - PLAY around with Google imaging to see what you can do !

Last edited:

CUS is in the center of the image - note that CUS is actually 2 blocks - the west block is the Great Hall
Metropolitan Lounge and the east block with trains underground (building) food court concessions
between that level and the street access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.878...9oezOH-hbNTfbILg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

NOTE the stairs - no ramps or other assist entering the building at this point !

This image view looking north from Jackson St to the street level entrance to the Great Hall
The windows with the flower pots in the window sill is the location of the 2nd level of the
Metropolitan Lounge (NO ACCESS) --- behind this view is the Union Station Bus Transit Center

Zooom the Google map image IN & Out for more or less detail - - -
Click in the middle of any street - small window opens with street view - click on that to see
that view - pan around for views from that point - - -
PLAY around with Google imaging to see what you can do !

The entrance/exit on Jackson for the Great Hall to which you've pointed is open and available. I, along with others, used it just last week. However, to my knowledge, it does not directly connect to the Metropolitan Lounge.

The entrance/exit on Jackson for the Great Hall to which you've pointed is open and available. I, along with others, used it just last week. However, to my knowledge, it does not directly connect to the Metropolitan Lounge.

CUS is in the center of the image - note that CUS is actually 2 blocks - the west block is the Great Hall Metropolitan Lounge and the east block with trains underground (building) food court concessions between that level and the street access.

Zooom the Google map image IN & Out for more or less detail - - - Click in the middle of any street - small window opens with street view - click on that to see that view - pan around for views from that point - - - PLAY around with Google imaging to see what you can do !

I believe this is what you're thinking of, on Canal:

IMG20240417170830.jpg

IMG20240417170802.jpg

This way to Jackson
IMG20240417170819.jpg

The entrance/exit to the Great Hall via the Grand staircase is also open.
IMG20240417170939.jpg

The second level of the Metropolitan Lounge from the Grand staircase
IMG20240417170919.jpg

IMG20240417170922.jpg

The Jackson facing entrance/exit as seen from the Great Hall

IMG20240417171026.jpg

I am not familiar with that Canal (Concourse) entrance which appears to be in an interior corridor.
The one I was referencing has windows to Jackson St and the entrance from same is signed closed
to be use only as an emergency exit. The Lounge room on the 2nd floor has huge Pennsy railroad
pictures - a closed concession counter - restroom - and a lower mezzanine lounge area.
Time being available check out all the neat nooks and crannies of this lounge - it is not as spartan
as it appears.

The CUS Metropolitan Lounge is much larger than it appears to be - minor drawback the 5-10 minute
walk to the trains - better than the closer to trains former location which was a dingy bedeviled dive.

I am not familiar with that Canal (Concourse) entrance which appears to be in an interior corridor.
The one I was referencing has windows to Jackson St and the entrance from same is signed closed
to be use only as an emergency exit. The Lounge room on the 2nd floor has huge Pennsy railroad
pictures - a closed concession counter - restroom - and a lower mezzanine lounge area.
Time being available check out all the neat nooks and crannies of this lounge - it is not as spartan
as it appears.

The CUS Metropolitan Lounge is much larger than it appears to be - minor drawback the 5-10 minute
walk to the trains - better than the closer to trains former location which was a dingy bedeviled dive.

The "interior corridor" you reference is, actually, the outdoor walkway on Canal alongside the Great Hall. (Though there is also a door from the lounge pictured inside the Great Hall by the Grand Staircase in another photo.)

I don't believe that the lounge has any picture windows facing Jackson, especially on the second floor. Those big picture windows are the ones seen here (in the first two photos) looking to Canal St.

That said, there are indeed many nooks in the lounge, including some which peer out with windows to some unexpected places in the Great Hall. I can't say with certainty that some emergency door does not open into an inside hallway or staircase off the Jackson side, therefore. But such would probably be little known and overlooked by travelers, anyway.

The "interior corridor" you reference is, actually, the outdoor walkway on Canal alongside the Great Hall. (Though there is also a door from the lounge pictured inside the Great Hall by the Grand Staircase in another photo.)

I don't believe that the lounge has any picture windows facing Jackson, especially on the second floor. Those big picture windows are the ones seen here (in the first two photos) looking to Canal St.

That said, there are indeed many nooks in the lounge, including some which peer out with windows to some unexpected places in the Great Hall. I can't say with certainty that some emergency door does not open into an inside hallway or staircase off the Jackson side, therefore. But such would probably be little known and overlooked by travelers, anyway.
OK FOLKS I BLEW IT - APOLOGY - - - - -

That last 90 degree turn on the Grand Staircase was my disorientated error !

Jackson Street does NOT have access to the Metropolitan Lounge !

It is the Canal Street side that has the closed enter/exit.
Reference this photo/image by Scott Lovenberg of the Pennsylvania Room on
the 2nd (street) level floor of the Lounge.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...10e5!14m1!1BCgIgAQ!16s/g/11c206c790?entry=ttu

Results in this fish eye photo of the closed -
Canal Street entrance to the Lounge on the upper (2nd?) floor.
Mezzanine seating distant right side of image.
The Grand Staircase is shown right leading to the main floor and
the "only" Lounge entrance between the Great Hall and concourses to trains.
Under the Grand Stairs is an improv cash bar for alcohol drinks.
Distant center the closed 2nd floor concession counter.
Left side black window frame work is the closed concierge desk and closed
enter/exit to Canal St column visible extreme left through window.
An interior concourse entrance is to the extreme right of the image.
It is not used.

After viewing the photo/image use the little arrows at the center bottom
of the screen to view even more views of the Lounge (some 200 of them).

For those who have been and used the Lounge this will define and answer
a ton of questions.

Once again SORRY for the misinformation - best that I clean this up !

In that case, I might make a slightly different suggestion. Amtrak has an assisted boarding waiting area. Now, if you're in sleeper, I might still stick with the directions I gave to the Great Hall and Met Lounge. (There's even a ramp which will allow you to avoid stairs, though you've obviously had to use a few for your commuter train.) You can get a redcap from there to take you train side once your boarding is called.

But, it would be about the same distance to the assisted boarding area. So...instead of turning left in the south concourse atrium towards the Great Hall when getting off the Metra train, turn right or walk straight ahead (depending how close to center your train arrival track is) and walk down the hall towards the center concourse. Once you're there, just to the right is the Amtrak boarding area doors. (Pictured in a previous post along with the area, generally.) Through those doors and to the left is the assisted boarding waiting area. This would save you extra steps from the Great Hall when your boarding is called.

Thanks again for your help. i am so looking forward to our trip and the info should definitely help.

Back