Chicago Union Station Metropolitan Lounge Outside Food Policy Change (Feb 2019)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim49424

Engineer
Outside food and drink are now allowed. I’m not sure when this went into effect but I noticed several people eating McDonalds, so when I went to get my lunch, upon re-entry I asked the attendant and verified the changes.

The old Chicago lounge never had an issue with outside as I've hauled Gold Coast and Giordano's in there with no problems.
And now you can do it in the new lounge. I think they loosened the policy once the Legacy Club closed. Just speculation but the timing of the change makes sense.

Last time I was there, I had to sneak some of my Champlain Chocolates out of my bag to eat them. Nice to know I can eat them openly next time I return from Vermont!
I am impressed with your discipline :) . With me, they would barely get out of New England before I had dug into them! :giggle:

Since the new lounge opened they have always let passengers eat at those tables just inside the entrance by the desk where you check in.   I've eaten many of brats there as well as pretzel bits.  My understanding has always been that you cannot take food into the area beyond the desk.  My most recent experience was last weekend on Sunday.  I did not venture into the other area because after I ate my Brats it was about 10 minutes until boarding and I just sat and vegetated.  

The  employees at the desk discourage people from sitting at those tables in the front area if they are not eating outside food.  

Steve4031 said:
 Since the new lounge opened they have always let passengers eat at those tables just inside the entrance by the desk where you check in.   I've eaten many of brats there as well as pretzel bits.  My understanding has always been that you cannot take food into the area beyond the desk.  My most recent experience was last weekend on Sunday.  I did not venture into the other area because after I ate my Brats it was about 10 minutes until boarding and I just sat and vegetated.  

The  employees at the desk discourage people from sitting at those tables in the front area if they are not eating outside food.  
Trust me, it’s all changed. I’m not even sure why they still have those tables in the lobby anymore. I guess anyone can sit there now. You could’ve eaten your brats in the lounge, pretzel bits, and anything else you would like to divulge. It’s all allowed.

Last October, they were pretty vocal (over the PA) regarding no outside food in the lounge. Looking forward to seeing how it is when I pass through there again this fall.

I just might bring in my Gold Coast Dog!

Last edited by a moderator:
FrensicPic said:
Last October, they were pretty vocal (over the PA) regarding no outside food in the lounge. Looking forward to seeing how it is when I pass through there again this fall.I just might bring in my Gold Coast Dog!
They won’t be vocal at all. I was thinking they were lax when I was there Monday around lunch time, I saw a bunch of people eating McDonalds and drinking soft drinks from there at one table. At another, I saw this couple drinking Mountain Dew and eating cookies. So when I went to get my lunch, I stopped at the front desk and asked if the policy had changed and was told it did and outside food and drink is allowed now. That’s when I created this thread.

Trust me, it’s all changed. I’m not even sure why they still have those tables in the lobby anymore. I guess anyone can sit there now.
They're useful

-- if you're waiting in line to check in but you have infirm members of your party who need to sit

-- if you're prepping to leave the lounge and collecting your luggage, putting your coats on, etc., and you have infirm members of your party who need to sit

They're useful

-- if you're waiting in line to check in but you have infirm members of your party who need to sit

-- if you're prepping to leave the lounge and collecting your luggage, putting your coats on, etc., and you have infirm members of your party who need to sit
Sounds logical.  I know sometimes I've needed to catch my breath after walking in from an incoming train and wasn't allowed to sit there.  The attendant actually reprimanded me for doing so.  I jumped to conclusions by making it sound like those tables and seats were useless now that food is allowed in the main lounge.  How quickly I forgot about my own experience.

Great news! Taking my partners disabled father to California by train next month, going to have the Chicago layover. This means we can get him comfortably settled in the lounge and bring him a proper lunch from the outside world.

I’ll be headed to California too next month on the 13th. I’m not sure what my lunch will be like....if the weather is good, I might head out and pick up something to go from one of the nearby eateries and bring it back....if not, I’ll head up to the food court and bring back lunch from there.

I really enjoyed the Lounge today. What I don't get is that Amtrak is not promoting it more. The guy at the front desk was just rejecting coach class travellers without even mentioning the possibility to buy a day pass. I had to actively mention that I want to buy one the Lounge wasn't crowded do Amtrak could make more money. Even for a traveller on a budget, the fee is a good deal. 

Due to a several hours delayed CONO I just had two hours left for Giordano's and a shower, so the option to bring outside food was great because I could just do a pick-up order there. 

What I don't get is that Amtrak is not promoting it more. The guy at the front desk was just rejecting coach class travellers without even mentioning the possibility to buy a day pass. I had to actively mention that I want to buy one the Lounge wasn't crowded do Amtrak could make more money. Even for a traveller on a budget, the fee is a good deal. 
I wonder if the guy who was at the front desk was new and/or in training.  There were two guys at the desk when I was there a week ago.  One was standing next to the desk, the other was sitting behind the desk.  I did hear promotional announcements from in the lounge all day long, but have no clue as to what was being announced station wide.

Back