Chicago Union Station - New Boarding Process for Coach Class Customers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
Let the good times (and grumbling) begin...or something like that.

From the Amtrak Website:

Chicago Union Station - New Boarding Process for Coach Class Customers
Effective October 15, 2016

To provide a more convenient experience for our customers, we will begin a new boarding process at Chicago Union Station on October 15, 2016. Coach Class customers (except Hiawatha Service customers) boarding or connecting to reserved trains in Chicago should obtain a boarding pass.
Check In When You Arrive at Chicago Union Station

When you get to the station, check in with a uniformed Amtrak employee who will verify your ticket, and issue you a boarding pass. You will then be directed to the appropriate boarding area to wait for your train. The earlier you check in, the earlier you'll be in the boarding process. If you don't check in, you'll be among the last to board. Since Hiawatha Service trains are unreserved, boarding passes are not needed.
Board with Your Assigned GroupAbout 30 minutes before departure, a boarding call will be announced and you'll board with your assigned group.

General boarding for passengers traveling in Coach Class will take place in the Great Hall. There will be signs to direct you to the location of your assigned group.
Customers who purchased a $20 Priority Boarding Pass for the Legacy Club will be the first Coach Class group to board. Uniformed military personnel can enjoy the Legacy Club free of charge.
Seniors age 62 and over, customers with disabilities, families with children 12 and under, and non-uniformed active duty military personnel can board with assistance from the South Boarding Lounge, ahead of general boarding.
If you're traveling in a Sleeping car or Business Class, or are a Select Plus or a Select Executive Amtrak Guest Rewards member, you can wait for your train in the Metropolitan Lounge and will not need a boarding pass. You'll enjoy advance boarding. Just make sure to wait in the Metropolitan Lounge in order to take advantage of early boarding.What Time Should I Arrive?

Passengers should arrive at Chicago Union Station no later than 45 minutes before departure (60 minutes if assistance is needed with ticketing, baggage, pets, bikes or other services). The boarding gates will close five minutes before train departure.
How Can I Get in the First Boarding Group?To guarantee that you'll be among the first to board your train, Coach Class customers can purchase a $20 Priority Boarding Pass for the Legacy Club. You can also upgrade to Business Class or sleeping accommodations, where available, to enjoy advanced boarding from the Metropolitan Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you to Chicago Union Station. For reservations and information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or speak with station personnel.Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

PSN 1016-01

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me for being stupid, but what is the current way of boarding coach passengers? (Line up waiting for track? Line up at known gate waiting for door to open?) I'm familiar with the process at various NEC stations; the only time I've traveled through Chicago it was a cross platform connection due to delay...

When I was in Chicago which was in June. The method the Capitol Limited used was line up at a sign in the Great Hall then walk in a single file line to the train.

I'm slightly confused -- seems there are three different areas to board from, depending on at least 6 (or more) categories of passengers? Huh?

Last to board "general boarding from Great Hall with priority for Legacy Club which is free for uniformed military"

Second priority is "South Boarding lounge" (where is that?) for "Seniors, disabilities, families with children 12 and under, and non-uniformed active duty military personnel can board with assistance from the South Boarding Lounge, ahead of general boarding"

First boarding is, of course for Metro Lounge customers - sleepers, etc.

Seems complicated, but once passengers get it :) might work OK.

The language seems to say that non-uniformed active duty board before uniformed Legacy club -- OK by me and my kids.

Seems complicated, we'll see how the description follows the facts, eh?

I do think having to be at CUS 45 minutes before departure is excxessive, especially if you're just making a shorter trip.

Millions and millions are beings pent to shave some minutes off the Lincoln Service, and then some guy in an office nullifies the advanatge by telling people to spend that time waiting in CUS.

I do think having to be at CUS 45 minutes before departure is excxessive, especially if you're just making a shorter trip. Millions and millions are beings pent to shave some minutes off the Lincoln Service, and then some guy in an office nullifies the advanatge by telling people to spend that time waiting in CUS.
Good point. It's almost like Amtrak is expecting passengers to be heading through some sort of security screening process on their way to the tracks. Either that or they're surprisingly eager to casually forfeit one of the most obvious and long lived benefits of passenger rail. It would be one thing if this early arrival requirement was tied to an international pre-screened trip such as on the Eurostar, but for purely domestic trips I'm hard pressed to think of another passenger rail network that expects passengers to arrive a minimum of 45 minutes early.

In Chicago you are better off getting there 45 minutes early because of traffic. You can arrive at the last minute. You'll just be in the last group to board. I think they are trying to reduce the practice of people standing in line to board.

It is confusing imho what happens after the first boarding group. How many boarding groups for a sold out cz, cl, or lsl. Will the boarding pass include a seat assignment?

I suspect they might group families and people traveling together in the second boarding group and singles in later groups?

Hmmmm, looks like they are at least trying to improve the boarding process in Chicago over the current Cattle Car/Airport method.

Sounds like they borrowed Southwest Airlines procedures,looking forward to boots on the ground reports from AUers that ride Coach out of Union Station.

Hmmmm, looks like they are at least trying to improve the boarding process in Chicago over the current Cattle Car/Airport method.

Sounds like they borrowed Southwest Airlines procedures,looking forward to boots on the ground reports from AUers that ride Coach out of Union Station.
I was going to say the same thing and I see this working out quite well. And like a couple previous posters said, spending extra time at CUS is much more enjoyable than doing so at the airport. For one thing you are clear to come and go at your leisure once you have your BP. And you are not held hostage to confiscatory concession prices.

It doesn't say you have to check in and get a boarding pass, it just says if you show up without one you will be among the last to board. Last minute arrivals are still accommodated.

I do think having to be at CUS 45 minutes before departure is excxessive, especially if you're just making a shorter trip.

Millions and millions are beings pent to shave some minutes off the Lincoln Service, and then some guy in an office nullifies the advanatge by telling people to spend that time waiting in CUS.
Don't they already advise you to arrive early in general? I remember seeing on my e-tickets "we advise you to arrive at the station 30 minutes before departure, more if you have baggage" or somesuch.

You can arrive at the last minute. You'll just be in the last group to board.
&
Last minute arrivals are still accommodated.
Technically if you arrive at the actual last minute Amtrak CUS staff will hold you back as you watch your train leave the station. If you arrive at the sixth to the last minute you might be allowed to board but I wouldn't count on it. In the case of CUS it's probably best to be at the platform ten to fifteen minutes early to allow for rogue gate dragons with questionable timekeeping methods. To my knowledge this enforced no-boarding window remains unique to Amtrak. Or at least I've never seen it implemented elsewhere. These days if I were traveling out of CUS I'd probably arrive an hour early or more just to allow time to inquire and adjust to whatever boarding method happens to be deployed/modified/reverted/ignored on that particular day.

Early arrivals, boarding passes, extended waiting, and granular boarding priority. Looks to me that the new process has much more in common with airport boarding procedures than the previous version. Not saying that's a bad thing per se, just that it seems to be moving closer to the airport experience rather than away from it.

I was going to say the same thing and I see this working out quite well. And like a couple previous posters said, spending extra time at CUS is much more enjoyable than doing so at the airport. For one thing you are clear to come and go at your leisure once you have your BP. And you are not held hostage to confiscatory concession prices.
There is little doubt in my mind that the TSA (or an equally invasive surrogate) will eventually make its way to CUS. The only question is when it will happen and what Amtrak riders will be willing to do about it.

Haven't been to the airport recently eh? Boarding, at least on United, has been way less confusing than anything that Amtrak has done for more than a year now ... Five separate marked lines and your line number/group printed in big font on your boarding pass. Clear announcements for pre boarding Global, active military duty, handicapped and families with children two and under.

Not at the Too Small Austin Airport jis, it's a zoo! (.week between ACL Music and Formula One Grand Prix)

I was there just this morning with a friend catching a flight to EWR, and the line for Security was out the door and on the sidewalk. Took my friend an hour to get through the Blue Shirt Blockade! YMMV

If they just let you select a seat when you make a reservation they could just board by that. If you arrive less than 5 min before you are out of luck but otherwise with a reserved SEAT you are free to arrive as you like. If they are afraid of too many last minute people make it 10 min. If you are priority your ticket will say so.

Not at the Austin airport his, it's a zoo! I was there just this morning with a friend catching a flight to EWR, and the line for Security was out the door and on the sidewalk. Took my friend an hour to get through the Blue Shirt Blockade! YMMV
In my limited experience Austin's airport has left me with the impression that it's actually one of the quickest and easiest to use in the country. Not saying it's the best airport in the world, just that it's been easier and simpler for me than many other airports in US cities. The main problem, at least as I see it, is that the cost and duration to travel there is rather excessive. Leaving your car there is also surprisingly expensive considering it's located in such a remote and largely undeveloped area. Other than that it has much better food options than other small airports and even hosts a bit of quirky Austin culture now and again. Maybe I'm just blind to its faults due to lack of familiarity, but I actually like Austin's airport.

Not at the Austin airport his, it's a zoo! I was there just this morning with a friend catching a flight to EWR, and the line for Security was out the door and on the sidewalk. Took my friend an hour to get through the Blue Shirt Blockade! YMMV
In my limited experience Austin's airport has left me with the impression that it's actually one of the quickest and easiest to use in the country. Not saying it's the best airport in the world, just that it's been easier and simpler for me than many other airports in US cities. The main problem, at least as I see it, is that the cost and duration to travel there is rather excessive. Leaving your car there is also surprisingly expensive considering it's located in such a remote and largely undeveloped area. Other than that it has much better food options than other small airports and even hosts a bit of quirky Austin culture now and again. Maybe I'm just blind to its faults due to lack of familiarity, but I actually like Austin's airport.
I just flew out of Austin last week and thought it was one of the best airports in the country. Super quick security, professional TSA crew, good food options (but of course pricey) and southwest crew was good as well. That's my experience at least.

Not at the Austin airport his, it's a zoo!

I was there just this morning with a friend catching a flight to EWR, and the line for Security was out the door and on the sidewalk. Took my friend an hour to get through the Blue Shirt Blockade! YMMV
Are you confusing the TSA with the boarding process? Boarding happens at the boarding gate. TSA is a different matter. It varies a lot from airport to airport and individual airlines have very little control over it. I thought we were talking about the boarding process since Southwests boarding process was also mentioned. That has nothing to do with the TSA.

Apologies to all, as usual you are correct jis, I was talking about the Security Lines and the insane traffic/parking mess, not the boarding gates which I haven't used since last fall!

In my experience if Austin's Airport is considered good compared to other US ones I'm glad I'm no longer a Road Warrior like back in the day!

I do think having to be at CUS 45 minutes before departure is excxessive, especially if you're just making a shorter trip. Millions and millions are beings pent to shave some minutes off the Lincoln Service, and then some guy in an office nullifies the advanatge by telling people to spend that time waiting in CUS.
Good point. It's almost like Amtrak is expecting passengers to be heading through some sort of security screening process on their way to the tracks. Either that or they're surprisingly eager to casually forfeit one of the most obvious and long lived benefits of passenger rail. It would be one thing if this early arrival requirement was tied to an international pre-screened trip such as on the Eurostar, but for purely domestic trips I'm hard pressed to think of another passenger rail network that expects passengers to arrive a minimum of 45 minutes early.
Even Eurostar is 30 minute check in currently. Shortly after the Paris terrorist attacks this did get lengthened to 45-60 minutes IIRC due to additional security checks however that was short lived. For Business Premier (Aka 1st class) the check in time is 10 minutes. Gare du Nord is the busiest station in Europe with 700,000 passengers going thru it per day. How many passengers does Chicago get?

In Chicago you are better off getting there 45 minutes early because of traffic. You can arrive at the last minute. You'll just be in the last group to board. I think they are trying to reduce the practice of people standing in line to board.

It is confusing imho what happens after the first boarding group. How many boarding groups for a sold out cz, cl, or lsl. Will the boarding pass include a seat assignment?

I suspect they might group families and people traveling together in the second boarding group and singles in later groups?
If they follow a similar pattern to what I have seen at Portland or Seattle...

1. If train is full (or will be at a later station) both seat and car will be assigned, the "boarding pass" will be the seat check.

2. If "less" than full the car only will be assigned (pick your seat). They do try to avoid double spotting, and to have to open only one coach for just a few pax in the wee hours.

Just posted this below in the Chicago Met Lounge topic too but in case anyone here has any info after 10/15 please post! Thanks.

Any word on if it will become Mandatory to board from the Metropolitan Lounge if you are in Bus Class? I got a couple emails today regarding upcoming trips and the new coach boarding procedures...if anyone has any experience starting on 10/15 please post it. I usually just go directly to the gate in the South Boarding area due to when I arrive at CUS. Below is the email I got:

Dear Amtrak Customer,

We see you are scheduled to board the train or make a connection in Chicago. To provide our customers with a more convenient experience, we now have a new boarding process at Chicago Union Station. Coach Class customers (except Hiawatha Service customers) boarding or connecting to reserved trains in Chicago will need a boarding pass.

When you get to the station, check in with a station employee who will verify your ticket and give you a boarding pass. You will then be directed to the appropriate boarding area to wait for your train. The earlier you check in, the earlier you’ll be in the boarding process. If you don't check in, you'll be among the last to board. General boarding for Coach Class customers will take place in the Great Hall. Since Hiawatha Service trains are unreserved, boarding passes are not needed. Hiawatha Service customers can go straight to the North Boarding Lounge to wait for their train.

Coach Class customers who want priority boarding can purchase a $20 pass for the Legacy Club and enjoy free snacks, TV, games plus the benefit of early boarding access. Uniformed military personnel can enjoy the Legacy Club free of charge.

Seniors age 62 and over, customers with disabilities, families with children 12 and under, and active duty military personnel can board from the South Boarding Lounge, ahead of general boarding.

If you are traveling in a Sleeping car, Business Class, or are a Select Plus or a Select Executive Amtrak Guest Rewards member, you will be boarded early from the Metropolitan Lounge. Just make sure to wait in the in the Metropolitan Lounge in order to take advantage of advance boarding.

Passengers should arrive at Chicago Union Station no later than 45 minutes before departure (60 minutes if ticketing, baggage or passenger assistance services are required). Note that the boarding gates will close five minutes before train departure.

We look forward to welcoming you to Chicago Union Station. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service

Gare du Nord is the busiest station in Europe with 700,000 passengers going thru it per day. How many passengers does Chicago get?
Somehow, just about all 700,000 of them manage to get to the right platform and onto the train without check-in, boarding passes, seat checks, priority boarding groups, gate deadlines, and other artificial bureaucracy (except Eurostar, due primarily to Schengen border control).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back