Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
Disappointed to find out that Chicago's CTA (subways and elevated's) do not take you to Unon Station. Closest you can get it two blocks away. I am flying into Chicago with over a weeks worth of luggage for 4 people. Not looking forward to the walk.

Anyway, been scouring the net to find a floor plan of the station. I have only found one little one and it is not very detailed. Anyone have a location to find this? I am suprised that the station does not have it's own website (at least that I could find).

The walk from the Blue Line to the station isn't too bad, the hardest part is getting up the stairs, but there might be an elevator I don't remember. When walking up from the Blue Line you'll come up to the station, enter at the Southwest Corner into the main waiting room, and then there will be signs to take you to the Amtrak counters. Sometimes there will be Redcaps outside willing to take your bags into the counter to be checked (dont forget to tip them B) ).

The only CUS website is this one and it is for events that can be held in the grand hall. Not much help for your request. Wish there was more. Perhaps someone else has an idea.

Aloha

Here is a picture of the lounge

35845291-L.jpg

And the great hall
10225151-S.jpg
I have some others if interested.

Maps of Union Station can be found here, care of City Search.

The Clinton station on the Blue line does not have elevators, however there are escalators at the east end of the station, which is where you want to exit for the shortest walk to Union Station.

AlanB said:
The Clinton station on the Blue line does not have elevators, however there are escalators at the east end of the station, which is where you want to exit for the shortest walk to Union Station.
I had found that one. Where is the Amtrak first class lounge on that diagram? Also, does the capitol limited leave from the north or south concourse?

printman2000 said:
I had found that one. Where is the Amtrak first class lounge on that diagram? Also, does the capitol limited leave from the north or south concourse?
With the exception of the Empire Builder and the Hiawatha Service on the North side, all other Amtrak trains leave from the South side.

The first class lounge is unmarked on that diagram, but it's the large orange colored area in between the north waiting room and the south waiting room.

By the way the north waiting room is marked as a play area, baby room. The south waiting room oddly enough is marked as a baggage/locker area. It's not. That is the south waiting room. Don't know why they are mislabled on this diagram.

It is however the only one that I've ever found for CUS.

AlanB said:
if I come in to Midway, I will be on the Orange line. Anything I should know? The closest stop looks to be Quincy, but it is 3 blocks away.

Ps. Here's the verbal description that I give to people trying to find the lounge in CUS.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign. Enter through that door and show your tickets to the attendant at the desk.

printman2000 said:
Disappointed to find out that Chicago's CTA (subways and elevated's) do not take you to Unon Station. Closest you can get it two blocks away. I am flying into Chicago with over a weeks worth of luggage for 4 people. Not looking forward to the walk.
Anyway, been scouring the net to find a floor plan of the station. I have only found one little one and it is not very detailed. Anyone have a location to find this? I am suprised that the station does not have it's own website (at least that I could find).
With four travelling together, a cab from the airport to Union Station is not an unreasonable option. This is particularly true if you are flying into Midway.

From Midway you could expect to pay about $35 (including tip) for a cab to Union Station. That is just under $9 each, compared to $2 by CTA. From O'Hare, the cab would be more like $50. That would be $12.50 each. The advantages are door-to-door service and much easier luggage handling. CTA is certainly not luggage-friendly. The disadvantages are cost and being subject to the traffic.

printman2000 said:
if I come in to Midway, I will be on the Orange line. Anything I should know? The closest stop looks to be Quincy, but it is 3 blocks away.
Quincy is indeed the closest Orange line stop to CUS. There are no escalators there that I recall and no elevator. It is as you've noted a three block walk, right past the Sears Tower and over the bridge. CUS is right along side the river. You can walk down either Adams or Jackson, it doesn't matter which one. CUS has entrances on both streets, once you cross the bridge.

Alternatively, you could ride the Orange line to Clark/Lake, there is an elevator there, which you can use to transfer to the Blue line. That however would add at least 15 to 20 minutes to your overall travel time. Additionally, it will only save you walking one block. But it does save you having to carry suitcase down the stairs at Quincy.

Best advice I can give you regarding CUS is that it is very easy to navigate. When you enter from the street, you will pass through the Great Hall, which reallyl doesn't do anything anymore. All of Amtrak and Metra's gates are past this area. Just follow the signs (everything is well marked). When you get to the Amtrak portion of the station, there is a very helpful information desk, as well as numerous counter personnel who are more than able and willing to point you in the direction of the Metro Lounge. Also, when time comes to board your train, you will be led to the proper platform...you won't have to find it yourself. Also, access to the north and south gates are through separate doors in the Lounge. You won't have a problem finding the right spot.

Guest said:
Also, access to the north and south gates are through separate doors in the Lounge. You won't have a problem finding the right spot.
There are no doors from the lounge that lead directly to the gates. There are only two choices. Back out the main door, where one first entered the lounge, from there you can turn left or right to the south or north waiting rooms respectively. From those waiting rooms, one can then access the gates.

However 90% of the time for the long distance trains, they will take you out the back door of the lounge. That door leads directly to what I believe is track #32, one of two tracks that run through the station north to south.

From there one can either walk north alongside that track or south alongside it. This bypasses the gate areas entirely, meaning that you don't have to walk through the crowds of coach passengers waiting to board the train.

Something just dawned on me as I have been reading these responses. Probably 40-45 years ago I think there was a way to catch the Subway at CUS. I would take the train from Denver to Chicago on the UP and transfer to the PRR to go to Louisville. When I had a long layover I would take the CTA subway out to Wilson Ave near where my grandmother then lived. It seemed, if I remember correctly, there was some type of walkway in a tunnel that took you to the subway. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that? Maybe I'm just getting old.

MrFSS said:
Something just dawned on me as I have been reading these responses. Probably 40-45 years ago I think there was a way to catch the Subway at CUS. I would take the train from Denver to Chicago on the UP and transfer to the PRR to go to Louisville. When I had a long layover I would take the CTA subway out to Wilson Ave near where my grandmother then lived. It seemed, if I remember correctly, there was some type of walkway in a tunnel that took you to the subway. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that? Maybe I'm just getting old.
Well, I obviously wouldn't *remember* anything like that, but according to this 1957 map, there used to be a branch off of the Loop that headed west, with a stop at Jackson & Canal, before heading west to Forest Park.

That, however, was replaced with the subway extension on what is now the blue line.

Thanks, Robert. That makes sense. I remember walking to either the subway or the El, so that must have been it. Too bad there isn't a CTA connection at CUS, now.

The North Central Stop I believe is at the end of the Remote Parking Lot F. There is a shuttle bus from their to the terminal. The schedule for the expanded frequencies starting this month is located here.

For more information also read here.

Only drawback is North Central Service is only on weekdays.

The North Central Stop I believe is at the end of the Remote Parking Lot F. There is a shuttle bus from their to the terminal. The schedule for the expanded frequencies starting this month is located here.
For more information also read here.

Only drawback is North Central Service is only on weekdays.
WOW - thanks - I didn't know about that. I had always taken the El and hoofed it over to CUS.

If the Metra schedule works for you, then it's a better choice. Otherwise, you're back at the blue line for O'hare.

Midway, Midway, Midway. Going through O'Hare is about as enjoyable as Root Canal. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back