Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold Coast Dogs was there in late October of 2019, as I had one of their dogs for lunch while I was waiting for the Texas Eagle to take me to the Gathering. I suspect they were a casualty of the reduced foot traffic through the station due to Covid.

Same, I was there in November 2019 and their hot dogs were as good as ever. That's a bummer, but it sounds like they have other locations throughout the Chicagoland area.

Ive enjoyed many Gold Coast Dogs over the years at the station. On my layovers in summer before heading out and catching a train east I treat myself to a stay at hotel off Michigan Ave. I stay a couple days as its close to a couple favorite eating places. I enjoy a Pizanos thin crust pizza one night and a good hot dog/fries for lunch next day from an old place called Mister J's. Both places have good food.

At this point the best Chicago Dawgs can probably gotten at Shake Shack.. a NY based chain.. or maybe that's the safest choice for visitors, might take more investigation for local options.

At this point the best Chicago Dawgs can probably gotten at Shake Shack.. a NY based chain.. or maybe that's the safest choice for visitors, might take more investigation for local options.
The Shake Shacks around here have all been Closed, but I've never had their Dogs, I did enjoy their Burgers and Shakes.

Chicago is Full of Dog Stands. ( of course Locals know the Locations and have their favorites)

I haven't been in Chicago since 2019 due to the Pandemic but plan to return this year if conditions continue to improve.

Hopefully some Windy City Members will post some good joints for we visitors that like Chicago Style Dogs.

The Shake Shacks around here have all been Closed, but I've never had their Dogs, I did enjoy their Burgers and Shakes.

Chicago is Full of Dog Stands. ( of course Locals know the Locations and have their favorites)

I haven't been in Chicago since 2019 due to the Pandemic but plan to return this year if conditions continue to improve.

Hopefully some Windy City Members will post some good joints for we visitors that like Chicago Style Dogs.
We have a Portillo's in Normal for all the homesick USI students from Chicago. Not sure if anyone outside of the Chicago area knows that Portillo's is known for the best Chicago style hot dogs.
Edit: Whoops! Wrong university. That should have been ISU (Illinois State University, previously known as Normal Teachers College).

Last edited:
Is this now the oldest active thread?? :D I posted this question 11 years ago. lol.

I must say that since 2011, Sonic had - then removed - excellent Chicago style hot dogs. They were very good. Institutionalized? Sure. Purist? Nah. But they did a good job. I think on that trip, I wound up at Portillo's (not based on recollection, but what's where I probably walked to that is on google maps today). It was wonderful.

IIRC, an equally good choice was actually available in-station. EDIT: Oh - that was Gold Coast Dogs. RIP

I enjoy a Pizanos thin crust pizza one night and a good hot dog/fries for lunch next day from an old place called Mister J's. Both places have good food.

J Dawg on State? My old high school hang. "Gimme a numb bear 1!" I love that place. Their current prices, no so much. But it'll always cost 2.80 for a cheeseburger, fries, and thick chocolate shake there, in my memory.

I’ve been trying to figure out for a few days now, where is that? The building (background, not hot dog stand) gives me a Gold Coast/Old Town sort of vibe, but for the life of me I cant place where that is.
Took me a while too, but it's Ohio just west of Fairbanks. That hot dog stand has been gone for years.

Took me a while too, but it's Ohio just west of Fairbanks. That hot dog stand has been gone for years.

Reminds me of the place that used to be near/west of Union Station before the area got more hip and well developed.

Jimmy's on Adams (open late), Luke's on Jackson, solid options for Chicago food fare.

Dawali Jerusalem Kitchen and Aroma Desi Grill are near the train station, for more ethnic bites.

Sadly, Bombagino's J&C, where you could get a solid lunchtime sandwich close to Union Station, has closed.

A little further walk and Mr. Greek Gyros is still open 24/7 on Halsted.

Paris Baguette, on Jackson, looks intetesting for sweets.

Boni Vino on Jackson....old school Chicago Italian joint....good for layover lunch fare.

Looks like there's a new contemporary Italian place across the street in the 320 So. Canal Building, called Canal Street Market and Eatery. Very good reviews so far on Yelp & Google. I might like to try their Bolognese on a lunchtime layover in March.

Anybody been there yet? I'm wondering whether there's a passageway from the station, or will I have to go outside in the weather?

Last edited:
Looks like there's a new contemporary Italian place across the street in the 320 So. Canal Building, called Canal Street Market and Eatery. Very good reviews so far on Yelp & Google. I might like to try their Bolognese on a lunchtime layover in March.

Anybody been there yet? I'm wondering whether there's a passageway from the station, or will I have to go outside in the weather?
Nope, haven't been there. Probably very busy at lunch (although not like it would have been in the before times). It's been a very mild winter here - it's already 50 at 8 am.

Is that restaurant in or annexed to the new BMO building? If so, I've been by there (but on a Sunday when it was closed), though haven't stopped in. Looked quite nice.

Back