Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argh! I meessed up, big time! I booked a hotel on Pricelne by naming my own price but I ended up in a really poor location with poor reviews! But I cannot cancel!
What hotel?

I've never had a problem with Priceline, but I'm always careful to select the area where I want the hotel to be, and pick a minimum star level. Then there are websites out there that can help you figure out what hotels you are likely to get based on the star level and location (no guarantees, but they tend to go with the same set of hotels regularly).
Oh, well. I guess it is just my own fault. I chose a three-star minimum for $80, but I still got a poor hotel. I guess the location is not too bad, so that is OK. Just that the hotel is reported to "stink" by reviewers.

I've had great experiences with Priceline and Hotwire for Chicago, including the basic (but perfectly functional) Club Quarters and the storied Palmer House, where we passed by a certain former president as we were entering. No joke. If it's good enough for him I would imagine it's good enough for us. I always go for the Loop area and Magnificent Mile areas and I have never been disappointed thus far.

Argh! I meessed up, big time! I booked a hotel on Pricelne by naming my own price but I ended up in a really poor location with poor reviews! But I cannot cancel!
What hotel? I've never had a problem with Priceline, but I'm always careful to select the area where I want the hotel to be, and pick a minimum star level. Then there are websites out there that can help you figure out what hotels you are likely to get based on the star level and location (no guarantees, but they tend to go with the same set of hotels regularly).
Oh, well. I guess it is just my own fault. I chose a three-star minimum for $80, but I still got a poor hotel. I guess the location is not too bad, so that is OK. Just that the hotel is reported to "stink" by reviewers.
It's difficult to take what you say seriously without knowing which hotel you're actually talking about. This thread is full of bumbling half-attempts to explain what you want or when you plan to be there.

I too am looking for somewhere safe to stay in chicago. I am going to try and catch a Cubs game at Wrigley field whilst I am in town next May. Is there a safe neighborhood between the two or where would you suggest I stay.

I too am looking for somewhere safe to stay in chicago. I am going to try and catch a Cubs game at Wrigley field whilst I am in town next May. Is there a safe neighborhood between the two or where would you suggest I stay.
Wrigley is in a safe area. You could also stay in Lincoln Park, which is just south of Wrigleyville/Lakeview.

What is your price range? When we go to Wrigley, we always stay at the Heart O'Chicago motel, which is in a neighborhood called "Andersonville". It has free parking, free Wi-Fi, and free breakfast, and it's on the Clark #22 bus line, which goes directly to Wrigley Field. The rooms aren't fancy, but they're the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in. It looks like an old motel from the 1950s. They even use a ledger instead of a computer. :)

If you're willing to pay a bit more, I've had excellent luck with Hotwire. We've stayed in a few 4-5 star hotels in the Loop for around $125-175/night. Our most recent stay was at Hotel Sax, which we adored. Normally, it's $360/night, but we got it for $149/night through Hotwire.
happy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! Passing through in three weeks. We did Deep Dish last February on our way through then, and its time to mix things up! Don't have much interest in Chicago Dogs, but Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches are a different story! Where, oh where, is the best shop dishing these bad-boys up at within walking distance of CUS? :)

Hot Italian beef sandwiches? I don't think I ever associated Chicago with that.

I'm actually all about Chicago style Deep Dish, although I've never found anywhere outside of Chicago that can seem to get it right.

And I also like the Chicago style dogs, although I think they could still use some more research in the not too distant future. ;)

Hot Italian beef sandwiches? I don't think I ever associated Chicago with that.
You can blame the Food Network to making my mouth water with regard to Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about them!

And I also like the Chicago style dogs, although I think they could still use some more research in the not too distant future.
I know... Not FROM Chicago, but there is a fancy hot dog place not far from my house that has a pretty darn tasty 'Chicago-style' hot dog. But there really are no places serving Hot Beef Sandwiches close to the ones I'm hankering for. :ph34r:

Also, since we're going round-trip, we'll be traversing Chicago twice in the span of a week. Might have to do Hot Beef one way, and Hot Dog the other? Unless the Deep Dish fever is caught! :help: :giggle:

Alright! Passing through in three weeks. We did Deep Dish last February on our way through then, and its time to mix things up! Don't have much interest in Chicago Dogs, but Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches are a different story! Where, oh where, is the best shop dishing these bad-boys up at within walking distance of CUS? :)
Gold Coast Dogs which is right upstairs from Amtrak in the Union Station Food Court dishes out a pretty decent Italian Beef Sandwich and by the time you toss in a bag of Fries, you're good to go. If I'm connecting there, I often pick one up and bring it into the Metropolitan Lounge - no need to buy a drink :)

I agree with OlympianHiawatha. I lived in and around Chicago for many decades and Gold Coast Dogs is the place to go for hot dogs and Italian beef. It is on par with any of the Chicago neighborhood fast food places that service dogs and beef. Better than Luke's IMHO.

Almost 5 years ago when I went to Chicago w/ my older kids, we stayed at the Travelodge near Union Station/Millenium Park. It wasn't too bad--$130 or so a night I think. Low water pressure but other than that I didn't mind it at all. Nice area and could walk to musuems, etc. I looked today and it is sold out for the time I will be there, June 8-11. I see a few hostels that aren't too pricey but wonder about the neighborhoods. Anyone know what the neighborhood is like for the Parthenon Hostel at 310 S Halsed St? It would run less than $100 a night for my son and I if we booked it now. It doesn't have to be much at all for me. Heck, I stay in Motel 6 frequently if the neighborhood isn't too bad. This place is not far from Union Station but it is on the "other" side from the museums, etc we went to last time there. Guess a question is would it be as good of an idea to stay at something near Ohare if I could get it for the same price? It was nice to be able to just walk a short distance to Millenium Park, the museums, Union Station, etc. This hostel is not far from the train station but is not nearly so convenient to the other places we'd like to see. We didn't wander around at night and I wouldn't expect to do so this time so maybe just jump on the L and head north to save a few bucks if it doesn't take too much time.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

If you are interested in a Hostel Check out the Hostel International on Congress (Google is your Frirnd!)! One Block from the Lake,, Michigan Avenue etc. Free Breakfast, Private Rooms if Desired (like $65 a night!) Busses, the El etc. readily Availalble, in fact when the Weather is Nice it's Walkable from Union Station! Lots of us have stayed here, it's one of the Best in the US!! ;)

If you are interested in a Hostel Check out the Hostel International on Congress (Google is your Frirnd!)! One Block from the Lake,, Michigan Avenue etc. Free Breakfast, Private Rooms if Desired (like $65 a night!) Busses, the El etc. readily Availalble, in fact when the Weather is Nice it's Walkable from Union Station! Lots of us have stayed here, it's one of the Best in the US!! ;)
Thanks. I actually did check that out but all of the private rooms are gone for early June. If I was a woman I could stay there in a dorm room.

I checked Priceline and one could bid on rooms that way that weren't too pricey. Problem with that is that the area is large and I am not sure if the downtown/Loop area that I would be bidding on is good if I get something on the far edge. If I get a place on the far edge of that area it might be better to just try the Parthenon which I know isn't all that far from Union Station.

I've certainly read about Hot Doug's and seen them featured on cable TV shows. They're mostly known for their exotic meats, the foie gras topped dog, and their fries cooked in duck fat.

Did you check the Crowne Plaza near there? I seem to remember they had low rates.

If that's too high, then you can't go wrong with this:

Go to either Priceline or Hotwire, in that order. Bid on the MP/Loop area. What you come up will either be walking distance from the station, or an inexpensive cab ride, or you can usually hop CTA.

Almost 5 years ago when I went to Chicago w/ my older kids, we stayed at the Travelodge near Union Station/Millenium Park. It wasn't too bad--$130 or so a night I think. Low water pressure but other than that I didn't mind it at all. Nice area and could walk to musuems, etc. I looked today and it is sold out for the time I will be there, June 8-11. I see a few hostels that aren't too pricey but wonder about the neighborhoods. Anyone know what the neighborhood is like for the Parthenon Hostel at 310 S Halsed St? It would run less than $100 a night for my son and I if we booked it now. It doesn't have to be much at all for me. Heck, I stay in Motel 6 frequently if the neighborhood isn't too bad. This place is not far from Union Station but it is on the "other" side from the museums, etc we went to last time there. Guess a question is would it be as good of an idea to stay at something near Ohare if I could get it for the same price? It was nice to be able to just walk a short distance to Millenium Park, the museums, Union Station, etc. This hostel is not far from the train station but is not nearly so convenient to the other places we'd like to see. We didn't wander around at night and I wouldn't expect to do so this time so maybe just jump on the L and head north to save a few bucks if it doesn't take too much time.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan
The rather run-down Travelodge served me and my grown kids well, cheap , near everything. 7 years ago. Now, can't say. For sure no problems with the place. If it even exists.

Hopefully someone will look at this! In Seattle, we ate at the top of the Space Needle and had a "Seattle" moment. In NY, you eat at an Italian restaurant and the waiter makes Caesar salad at your table and I swoon over filet of sole almondine. Monterey... it's the wharf area where you can watch the otters dine al fresco. We are going to be in Chicago in December and I'm looking for a Chicago dining "moment" . Where do we go? I don't want to blow the budget but really not mind splurging a bit for something special. Yes, we will have Due for pizza and hit Gold Coast for a dog... but want a special dinner.

There are a million good joints in Chicago to eat in but a old favorite of the elite such as presidents, royality,show biz types etc is The Palmer House Hotel!

I normally avoid Hotel Cafes like the plague but the food and service were first rate!

If you like Steak Joints Mortons started in Chicago and Mike Jordans Steakhouse is First Rate!( Both Pricey but Worth it!)

Another good source are AUers Sarah and the Galloping Gourmets, (the 2 Joes,) you might PM them, the Colonel (Grounded Flyboy) really knows where to go in Chicago!!

OMG! Lawry's looks really good. The Palmer House looked special. Morton's menu was also amazing! I also found the 2Joes dining experience at Gino and Georgetti's Steakhouse. It's going to be a toss up! Best way is to print the menus and let Mr take his pick! Thanks for pointers!

I'm guilty of spreading sun dried tomato hummus on my bun and topping the dog with banana peppers, chives, and basil pesto.

Back