Choice Hotels Discontinuing AGR Points Earnings on Stays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
From Flyertalk:
We recently made a Choice Privileges® program update that impacts your current earning preference. Starting 4/6/21, the option to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards® points on qualifying stays will no longer be available. You will be able to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards® points for checkouts until 4/6/21, but you will need to change your earning preference after that date.

No confirmation on whether it'll affect transfers to/from AGR, but it might. If you're wanting to transfer between AGR and Choice Hotels, I'd do so before 4/6/21 just in case they discontinue the option entirely like what happened with Wyndham Hotels.

Although I’m a Choice Hotels loyalist, this does not effect me. I don’t transfer my Choice Points out to any program. I strictly earn Choice Points for hotel stays.

I’m not surprised that hotel brands that offer budget properties are scaling back the transferring out of their points to other programs.

I'm using AGR points for my trip from Oregon to Yuma next month. I am going to be using 24K Choice Points for 3 nights stay at the Quality Inn & Suites.
I am more concerned about Ace Hardware and Walmart dropping out of the AGR points lineup.
It looks like Several of the car rental companies have dropped out also. It is cheaper for me to use Lyft to get to Los Algodones than to rent a car.
Transfers of points to/from different programs are usually a bad deal IMO.

It's amazing how Amtrak continues to try and starve itself of revenue from the AGR program. First killing Chase UR transfers, then killing Starwood/Marriott Bonvoy transfers and now killing Choice Hotels, it's almost like they have no realization of how much money the AGR program can bring in.

Back