Christmas Tree in Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak is not a setup or marketed as a holiday train. Why would a socially aware adult just assume everyone else in the car wants to hear them singing? Chances are most folks have no training and their singing is terrible. Even if they're amazingly gifted they're going to be singing the same generic department store jingles that have been associated with Christmas for as long as anyone can remember. If you want to put a tasteful (non-flashing) display in your window then knock yourself out. Anyone who doesn't like it can simply look away, but please don't flood the car with sounds that cannot be reasonably avoided.

I agree with Devil's Advocate and SarahZ.
I watch Dickens' "Christmas Carol" backwards so it has a happy ending. But you guys are really Humbug! :giggle:

I *love* Christmas.

I do not love people singing and/or playing music loud enough for me to hear it.

That does not make me Scrooge. :)

Amtrak is not a setup or marketed as a holiday train. Why would a socially aware adult just assume everyone else in the car wants to hear them singing? Chances are most folks have no training and their singing is terrible. Even if they're amazingly gifted they're going to be singing the same generic department store jingles that have been associated with Christmas for as long as anyone can remember. If you want to put a tasteful (non-flashing) display in your window then knock yourself out. Anyone who doesn't like it can simply look away, but please don't flood the car with sounds that cannot be reasonably avoided.

I agree with Devil's Advocate and SarahZ.
I watch Dickens' "Christmas Carol" backwards so it has a happy ending. But you guys are really Humbug! :giggle:
In my case you might be right. :ph34r:

At work we have a large Christmas tree on every floor that each look like they came from some outlandish Lady Gaga stage set. They're genuinely hideous and I find myself subconsciously shaking my head whenever I pass one of them. We were recently informed that we were each allowed to bring one of our cherished stuffed animals to put under one of the trees and give it a special holiday name for others to ooh and ahh at.

Apparently this is what the two old ladies who handle our holiday stuff thought would get us excited about Christmas. Maybe I'm just a grinchy scrooge type person but that honestly sounded like one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. There are no children or stuffed animals at my job. We're all a bunch of cranky adults doing cranky adult work.

If you want to get us into the Christmas spirit open up a holiday cocktail bar or send us home early. You'd be amazed and how much you can impress and motivate your employees when you stop with the supply side logic and simply ask us what we really want. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I *love* Christmas.

I do not love people singing and/or playing music loud enough for me to hear it.

That does not make me Scrooge. :)
buddy the elf says, " the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loudly for all to hear"

We have an artificial tree indoors (to ease my allergies) and leave off the branches on the wall side so that the tree doesn't extend so far into living space. Like a sconce. Tree could be placed on the step of a Superliner roomette with the "flat" side against the glass looking into the hallway.

Caroling in the sleepers and coaches would annoy me. It's akin to playing music without headphones.

Singing in the lounge annoys me too (for the same reason), but at least I can go back to my seat/room to avoid it.
When I read about the caroling yesterday, I figured I'd better leave my feelings unsaid. But since I'm not alone I'd also be happy to avoid the festivities.But hey, I do want to wish all of you happy holidays.

For me, it depends on who is singing the carols. If it's one of those groups that looks like they came out of a Dickens novel - capes, bonnets, silk hats, plastered on fake smiles - I want to yell "Get away from me, at least a furlong. And don't look at me"! But if it's a group of cute little kids singing off key, but doing their best, I turn into a puddle of weepiness. I'm a sucker for little kids.

Anyway, I think the tree in your room looks great. I love Christmas. (Except for the Dickensonian Carolers).

If it's one of those groups that looks like they came out of a Dickens novel - capes, bonnets, silk hats, plastered on fake smiles - I want to yell "Get away from me, at least a furlong. And don't look at me"! But if it's a group of cute little kids singing off key, but doing their best, I turn into a puddle of weepiness.
Are you talking about little kids singing carols in school or church or something? Other than that I'm not aware of child carolers being an actual thing. Kind of spooky to think of a group of little kids randomly showing up on your doorstep singing sloppy Christmas carols. At least it would give me a reason to don a Dickensian ensemble and run them off the lawn with a cane.

bloodening.jpg

For me, it depends on who is singing the carols. If it's one of those groups that looks like they came out of a Dickens novel - capes, bonnets, silk hats, plastered on fake smiles - I want to yell "Get away from me, at least a furlong. And don't look at me"! But if it's a group of cute little kids singing off key, but doing their best, I turn into a puddle of weepiness. I'm a sucker for little kids.

Anyway, I think the tree in your room looks great. I love Christmas. (Except for the Dickensonian Carolers).
There's that word again. :ph34r: Twice in one (or two ) day(s). :p

Has anyone displayed a Menorah in a roomette?
I still think these things are better displayed so they are visible from the OUTside. The inside of a sleeper is usually only visible to relatively few people. while something visible on the outside could be seen by many more people at grade-crossings, stations, and elsewhere along the route.

Why is leaving the lounge and going back to my roomette a solution to the hypothetical problem of people singing in the lounge? I think my ticket entitles me to access to the SSL for normal usage by me without substantial disruption from merrymakers of any sort, seasonal or otherwise.

Its only an option if people were singing to go to ones room. And what do you guys do when the National Park Service gives their talks? Everybody dislike that also?

Sometimes you just gotta fight fire with fire and bring on the Krampus Carolers. I doubt the audible dueling lasts long before the conductor bans any more caroling for the rest of his shift. ^_^

The voices in my head tell me I do a passable impression of Elvis Presley.

Maybe the next time I "go Amtrak", I'll walk up and down the aisles of the train belting out "You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog",

you know,

just to entertain my fellow passengers.

elvis_caricature_clipart_1.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta fight fire with fire and bring on the Krampus Carolers. I doubt the audible dueling lasts long before the conductor bans any more caroling for the rest of his shift. ^_^
I imagine those carols would be written by bands like Ministry, KMFDM, and The Cure. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back