Cincinnati Terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
Can anyone tell me just where you board in Cincinnati ? Is it in or near the terminal itself ? A friend of mine took a tour of Tower A. He was told the last pax train left on 28 OCT. 1972. In the hand out given visitors it states that Amtrak resmued service 29 JULY 1991. My friend stands by the statement that pax trains do not stop at the terminal, but board somewhere else. Help me settle this.

Yes, Amtrak stops at the Terminal. When you enter the main hall, just walk straight back (there is signage), and you'll find the Amtrak waiting room/ticket office in the former "Gentlemen's Lounge".

The waiting area is really quite nice. I boarded the eastbound train a year ago. There is a ramp and an elevator down to the single platform. Too bad there is such minimal train service at horrible hours in such a grand place.

Amtrak moved to an out of the way Amshack in the early 1970s. For a while, Amtrak had 4 daily trains serving the Amshack. The Cardinal from Washington - Charleston -Cincinnati-Chicago and THE Shenandoan from Washington - Cumberland - Cincinnati. The good news is The City of Cincinnati talked Amtrak into moving back to the Terminal. The bad news is that there is only a tri weekly train at odd hours in either direction.

Amtrak moved to an out of the way Amshack in the early 1970s. For a while, Amtrak had 4 daily trains serving the Amshack. The Cardinal from Washington - Charleston -Cincinnati-Chicago and THE Shenandoan from Washington - Cumberland - Cincinnati. The good news is The City of Cincinnati talked Amtrak into moving back to the Terminal. The bad news is that there is only a tri weekly train at odd hours in either direction.

Thanks for the history info. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back