Cincinnati Union Terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
Here is a panaramic picture in today's paper. The camera angle is from the rear toward the entrance. Notice the mosaic murals, marble floors, and art deco design.

I don't know why it won't take, maybe Alan can help. Meanwhile try (enquirer.com/editions/2003/03/03/0303ohiounionterminal.jpg)

spot1181 said:
I don't know why it won't take, maybe Alan can help. Meanwhile try (enquirer.com/editions/2003/03/03/0303ohiounionterminal.jpg)
The link is fixed, you had an extra / after the 0303. It should have read /2003/03/03/0303ohio, whereas you had /2003/03/03/0303/ohio in your original post.

So I removed it for you.

Bill Haithcoat said:
The Cincinnati terminal was one of the most beautiful we ever had in the States. Wish I had ridden into and out of it more often.
"Was"?? Does the Cardinal not utilize this station? Wow, that's really too bad if it doesn't. This place is fantastic!

seajay

Whoops---didn't mean to spread false rumours----just meant that I had not seen it in years, and only used it once or twice when it did have a lot of trains. Whether the Cardinal currently uses it I am not sure-----did not mean to reflect on that one way or the other.My point is just that it was( or is) an exceptionally lovely station, a little newer than most U.S. stations.

I've set it as my background.

Is there a "Famous Rail Terminals" screensaver out there anyplace that anyone is aware of?

seajay

The Cardinal does use the U.T., but stops underneath. Depending on how much time on the layover it would be worth the short walk upstairs to check it out. While we waited for the Cardinal walked around the empty terminal videoing. Kind of unreal with the rotunda being so quiet. During the day it is the home of the Museum Of Natural History and the Cincinnati Historical Society plus an Imax Theater. So it will be around for awhile.

Thanks for the update, Spot1181. Maybe I will get to Cincinnati one of these days on the Cardinal.

I like your numbers, 11 and 81 by the way, They are the southbound numbers of my two favorite trains from childhood(a million years ago). 11 was the number of the s.b. Dixie Flagler and 81 was the number of the s.b. Georgian. I use that combination in my office telephone password access, things like that.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I use that combination in my  office telephone password access, things like that.
Hey, Bill, where do you bank? What credit cards do you have?

:lol:

While I would love to see stations like Cincinnati's bustling with railroad traffic, I think it's great that they and others are utilizing the wonderful structures for good purposes. I wish more non-utilized or under-utilized stations could do this, not only to provide amenities for the public but to keep the passenger rail legacy alive. Even small towns could take better advantage of this.

seajay

Seajay, agreed....it is terrific when a station has been restored or maintained. My home town, Chattanooga, has such a facility, now a hotel and restaurant complex.

Now about that bank account........Funny thing, I can't quite remember where I bank.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back