Cincinnati waiting room closed on Mondays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchesofun

Train Attendant
Hi, we are booked in October from Cincinnati to TX via Chicago. We leave on a Monday, but Amtrak shows that the waiting room is closed on Mondays. How does that work for checking in? Heck, how do you wait, do you have to stand?

No trains on Mondays?
Trains on Mondays, waiting room closed. Amtrak said unmanned station. Follow the signs to the platform (signs inside? If there's no one there, would it be unlocked? Is there a way to get to the platform without going inside?

Trains on Mondays, waiting room closed. Amtrak said unmanned station. Follow the signs to the platform (signs inside? If there's no one there, would it be unlocked? Is there a way to get to the platform without going inside?

It's been awhile since I have used the Cincinnati station, but, I thought it was manned again. I remember boarding and leaving the Cardinal and the only way to do so--that I could see--was from the interior of the station. Hopefully, there will be others with more recent information that mine.

The train gets there after Midnight, so the station is closed Monday night because of no train on Tuesday morning.

The train gets there after Midnight, so the station is closed Monday night because of no train on Tuesday morning.
The train departs at 1:41am Monday morning. But the listed hours are 12am to 4am Tues-Sun. Unless Amtrak considers 12am - 4am Monday to be Sunday night, which is crazy IMO.

Once again, it would be nice if we could actually phone the station and talk to someone who works there, like in the good old days.

This is a carry over from when the station opened at 11 pm. The hours were updated to open at midnight when it was destaffed and no one at Amtrak realized that would change what “Closed Monday Night” meant.

This is a carry over from when the station opened at 11 pm. The hours were updated to open at midnight when it was destaffed and no one at Amtrak realized that would change what “Closed Monday Night” meant.
So it sounds like A) No trains Tues and B) That they actually mean Closed Tues am, not Mon am? Am I on the right "track" lol

My advice would be to ask "outside of Amtrak".
Write to the letters page of the local newspaper, explaining the silly situation, or contact a local Cincinnati radio station. Someone local may have precise information, or it may shame Amtrak into putting out correct passenger boarding information?

I have to say that the inability to contact a human being at whatever facility one is needing is the bane of modern life ! :mad:

My advice would be to ask "outside of Amtrak".
Write to the letters page of the local newspaper, explaining the silly situation, or contact a local Cincinnati radio station. Someone local may have precise information, or it may shame Amtrak into putting out correct passenger boarding information?

I have to say that the inability to contact a human being at whatever facility one is needing is the bane of modern life ! :mad:
In that vein, Cincinnati Union Terminal is primarily a museum, and Amtrak is an occupant. Perhaps someone at the museum will know (although obviously they're not around at 1am), or has the phone number to call Amtrak at the station after midnight.

Here is the contact info on About Union Terminal - Cincinnati Museum Center:

HAVE A QUESTION?
PHONE: (513) 287-7000
TOLL FREE: (800) 733-2077
TTY: (800) 750-0750
[email protected]

And I will add that when we departed from Cincinnatti in either 2018 or 2019, the door to the big building that holds the museum and Amtrak was open (unlocked) when we got there in the evening after the museum had closed and before the doors opened to the Amtrak station, so we didn't have to wait outside for Amtrak to open.

And I will add that when we departed from Cincinnatti in either 2018 or 2019, the door to the big building that holds the museum and Amtrak was open (unlocked) when we got there in the evening after the museum had closed and before the doors opened to the Amtrak station, so we didn't have to wait outside for Amtrak to open.
I remember that, as my parents rode Amtrak from California to Cincinnati and back, and we came into the station to wait for the train. to arrive.

In that vein, Cincinnati Union Terminal is primarily a museum, and Amtrak is an occupant. Perhaps someone at the museum will know (although obviously they're not around at 1am), or has the phone number to call Amtrak at the station after midnight.

Here is the contact info on About Union Terminal - Cincinnati Museum Center:

HAVE A QUESTION?
PHONE: (513) 287-7000
TOLL FREE: (800) 733-2077
TTY: (800) 750-0750
[email protected]
I called the museum number above and they gave me two numbers, one of which was the USA-RAIL number. I will try calling tonight around midnight and see if I can get someone and will report back here.

I called that number, and it never dialed, just dead air. I'll call the museum again and verify the number when they open.

I verified the number with the Museum and the number was correct. I explained the situation and she transferred me to the safety department who are there 24/7. He confirmed that they are there Sun night/Monday morning for the Monday trains. I am now going to try and figure out who at Amtrak to report that to.

I verified the number with the Museum and the number was correct. I explained the situation and she transferred me to the safety department who are there 24/7. He confirmed that they are there Sun night/Monday morning for the Monday trains. I am now going to try and figure out who at Amtrak to report that to.
Great job tracking that down! 🌟🌟🌟

Back