Circle trip started

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetharion

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
First leg completed, Dallas to Chicago. My first trip on Amtrak.

Started off properly by departure being delayed from 340 to 505. Entirely expected lol. Dallas Eddie Bernice Johnson Union Station is nothing to write home about. Too many shady characters to attempt pics or vids Though security did do a good job of keeping people from hanging out in their usual hangouts. It tries to be historic and grand looking but just doesn't quite do either one very well. At least they put the benches back inside it. The Amtrak employee at the counter was very friendly and easy going. He even helped some passengers get their bags checked 15 minutes before departure assuring them the bags would be safe and be at their destination when they arrive. Our attendant was Denise and she did a fantastic job.

Stopped for freight an hour into the trip and apparently delayed a bit overnight from a broken down freight train as well. The second day delayed twice by freight and once by another Amtrak Midwest train.

I now know the corridors and stairwells are exactly one 6 foot 2 330 lb. human male wide. The room was rather hot and made getting to sleep a bit difficult. The rocking and jostling of the train actually helped me get to sleep. Using the bathroom was not an issue for me and I didn’t bother taking a shower so can’t talk to that experience. Seats are more than wide enough and comfortable enough. The sheets are almost non existent though they are so thin lol. For what they are the flex meals are actually really good. Had the salmon for dinner and was really good even though the rice was a bit mushy which for convention cooked was expected. For breakfast had the three cheese omelet and some pancakes and sausage. Omelet was shockingly good and the potatoes that came with it were a bit dry but really flavorful though. Lunch was the cheeseburger that was a bit overheated so the cheese disappeared but the patty is a good thickness and seasoned well. Brownie was so good as well, not too dense, not too cake like either. Overall id give the flex meals I got a 7 or 8/10.

Arrived in Chicago at around 3:45 or so I think. As is well know Chicago Union Station is every bit as majestic as I was hoping it would be. It is a bit confusing to navigate for those who are there for the first time. Stayed overnight and while going to Target to get a fan for the next leg of the circle trip on the Zephyr, State Street was completely shut down for some kind of parade. So I just watched it for a couple of hours. Art in the Dark I think? Haven’t looked it up to verify it. Chicago is definitely on my list of cities to check out in the future.

Just started the second leg of my trip, the Zephyr to Emeryville. Excited for the true long distance experience. And of course 15 minutes in delayed by the Southwest Chief arriving on time apparently. Also passed a stopped BNSF freight train that I am assuming yielded to Amtrak so anything is possible I suppose.

Oh and for those using a CPAP be aware that the train may lose power upon entering a station. It happened to us almost every time we entered one and the power outlet and air would shut off then come back on a moment later. My CPAP will auto start when it detects breathing so not a big issue for me but I don’t know if all machines have that feature.

To be edited upon arrival in Emeryville: EDITED 11/1/2022
Arrived about 30 minutes EARLY if you can believe that. Time from freight stoppages was made up apparently. I had a south side roomette, room 5 on car 531 even though the lit up car sign number shows 631 lol. On the Eagle I had a Superliner 1 sleeping car. On this consist we had a Superliner 2 sleeping car and the one I was in was a Superliner 1 refurbished/rehabbed. Our car had the wood paneling, a floor to ceiling closet and the controls in the room were touch controls. Other people I was seated with at dinner mentioned they had no closet in the other car and only had the hook. I took the opportunity to check out the trucks to verify they had a Superliner 2. At one stretch one of the bedrooms was actually empty so I took the opportunity to size up the shower in it. I’m 6’2” 330lbs. I would be able to get the job done, maybe 6 inches or so on each side, but it wouldnt be ideal for those wondering.

The first part was as expected, lots and lots and lots and lots of farmland. The scenery after Denver was phenomenal and I couldn’t pick which side I was more interested in. I did make sure I was on the right hand side (North side) as we passed Donner Lake and my God is that area beautiful. The problem with the South side is that the sky was clear for the first two and a half days. It rained shortly after we passed Donner Lake. The sun absolutely BAKED our side of the car. Thank God I picked up that little fan in Chicago. It doesn’t blow a whole lot but at least move air over some parts of me. And the sun beaming down on the windows highlighted just how dusty and filthy they were. It was almost impossible to get good pictures or videos out of them and anytime we tried to look up we were met with the sun staring back at us. Despite the challenges the scenery I could enjoy was worth it. May have video of a small fox running up a hill and got a quick video of what I think was a pack of wild horses. And in Ruby Canyon we did receive the proper Zephyr salute.

The French Toast was a bit of a let down for me. The crust area was tough to cut through like it may have been cooked a hair too long or something. We got what I think is the revamped menu because the tamale was no longer an appetizer option. Had the choice of coconut shrimp I think, and kind of Mexican Soufflé with street corn or a Raspberry Brie Empanada. The first two are nogos for me due to ingredients I don’t like. The Empanada isn‘t bad per se, it is something that I don’t like or hate but can eat if presented. They did run out of the Mexican Soufflé on day three. The steak was good but not as flavorful as I may have expected but cooked perfectly and was still delicious. Tried the Panko Chicken Breast and its good. Comes with Lemon Risotto which I had never tried before and turns out I actually like. I was also disappointed to find out that the carrot cake is gone and replaced with lemon cake. The lemon cake is super good but damnit I wanted some carrot cake!! Did the burger (really good) and Monte Christo for the lunches. The Monte Christo should really be named Grilled Ham, Turkey and Cheese sandwich. It’s absolutely great as that but it isn’t really a true Monte Christo.

Room was still freakin hot like on the Eagle but not as bad since I had that little fan to help. I use a CPAP machine and decided to bring replacement air filters just in case and man am I ever glad I did. The first filter was nearly solid black after two days. A little scary to breathe during the day knowing it isn’t filtered like when I sleep lol. The pillows are too soft for my liking and I understand why some people bring their own. And the sheets are so thin they are nearly translucent but get the job done.

Overall I’d give it an 8/10. With this being their most popular scenic train I would think that at the very least they would have some kind of automated auto wash tunnel for the trains to go through on its way out. If they ever put AC on these trains and run them through a washer every so often I would give it more.

Next leg is the Coast Starlight on Wednesday 11/2/2022:

Last edited:
It helps to leave your door Open and just pull the curtain when it's too Hot in a Roomette( which seems to be more or less all of them as the Superliners slowly fall apart from age, overuse and Poor or No Maintainence!)

Going to find outbtoday how long it takes to get from San Antonio to Dallas at 10mph the entire way. They claim freight traffic but I think they are lying and are waiting on storms to blow over. Running 3 hours late.

EDIT:Storm system must be moving north preventing the train from going faster than walking speed. This is bs.

Going to find outbtoday how long it takes to get from San Antonio to Dallas at 10mph the entire way. They claim freight traffic but I think they are lying and are waiting on storms to blow over. Running 3 hours late.

EDIT:Storm system must be moving north preventing the train from going faster than walking speed. This is bs.
This is no BS, the Storms are intense, including Tornadoes! Hopefully they'll blow through by the time you reach the Metro Plex!

Well with the Coast Starlight completed, I got to ride in three versions of a Superliner 1. The Eagle, The Zephyr, and the Coast Starlight all had different panels next to the seats. When we hit the Santa Clara station we waited for 30 minutes or so just outside of it before actually getting to it. Once there we were told that the Capital Corridot ahead of us had a "trespasser strike" and we didnt know how long the delay would be. 15 minutes later they informed us that it was non fatal but that the engine took some damage so they would have to sort that out so the delay could be substantial. I could hear other passengers in a small panic making alternate arrangements to get to Santa Barbara, but about 30 minutes later everything had been cleared and taken care of so we were underway. I did get video of the aftermath as we passed and then found out that "trespasser strike" means they hit someone or a car. In this case it was a car at a crossing because someone thought they could beat the train. First area that we hit that made me pay attention was the San Luis Obispo area. Its a really beautiful area and was kind neat how the train almost does a u-turn. Sat in my room enjoying the occasional non city view until dinner. Had dinner with ocean views out of the window as the attendant sat everyone on the ocean side of the car. Daylight faded quick at the end of dinner so LA was dark when we got in just a touch late which was shocking given how late we were running because of the accident. I was making a connection to the Texas Eagle, as well as a lot of others, and we were worried about delays along the line but they managed to make up for them and we pulled into the station right next to The Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited just as it was taking people aboard. Even had about 30 minutes before it actually departed to stretch the legs and such. I didn't bother venturing into the station as I didn't want to chance missing the train lol.

The last leg of the trip was The Eagle from LA back to Dallas. Arizona was surprisingly scenic and Tucson has a really nice little downtown area that I walked around a bit looking for an ATM to get some cash for tips. Also got a few extra bucks to get some burritos from Juanita the burrito lady in El Paso. She had beef and potato cooked with jalapenos and bean and cheese as the two options for $3 per burrito and they are delicious. This stretch was the only time the temperature in my roomette was comfortable as this may be the only time the attendant actually lowered the car temp for us. Others were glad I said something because they were apparently willing to not say anything and swelter. I sweltered on the other trains despite asking for a lower temp and it was SO nice to not do it on this stretch. We departed and almost immediately stopped. Then stopped again a short time later. At this point I was thinking I can see why the Eagle is almost always late into San Antonio. Thankfully though they made up time and we were only like 20 or 30 minutes late into San Antonio arriving at like 5:20 or 5:30 or somewhere around there. They did the shuffling of cars and this time the sleeper was behind the engine unlike my departing trip a week ago when we were on the end.

San Antonio to Dallas. It takes 11 hours and thirty minutes for the train to make trip when its going an average of about 20 mph. This was the worst part of the entire experience as very little to no communication was given as to what the hell was going on. Turns out it was a combination of freight congestion and them staying behind storm systems and letting them pass North before proceeding. I didn't bother to get video or pictures of this route as its non scenic and not really worth the effort. Got into Dallas 3 hours and 45 minutes late at 7:05pm.

Overall the experience of this trip was fantastic other than the very last part. If I ever do something like this again I would give myself a few more days in between the train rides to explore the layover cities and am looking forward to my next trip to DC next April.

Back