Circling the west, May-June 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I recently took a 2-week trip from Oakland to Portland OR to Madison WI to Denver and home again, all by train.

It was the longest train trip we've done yet -- all previous trips have essentially just been a single round trip. It was a great time, and given the route we were extraordinarily fortunate in our timing not to have faced any cancellations on either the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr. We did have some delays, and we did discover that 48 straight hours on the train is pushing the limits of our active 3-year-old's capabilities, but if that's the worst we faced, then I count us as fortunate.

I'll post more detailed reports of each of the four segments over the next week or so -- I wanted to get this topic started now to make sure I actually finish writing things up!

Glad to hear you had a nice trip! That's seems not to be the "Norm" these days!! I've done a few x-country trips & find OKJ to be one of my favorite stops. ( or should I say "The Last Chance Saloon" :giggle: )

Have Fun

My family and I recently took a 2-week trip from Oakland to Portland OR to Madison WI to Denver and home again, all by train.

It was the longest train trip we've done yet -- all previous trips have essentially just been a single round trip. It was a great time, and given the route we were extraordinarily fortunate in our timing not to have faced any cancellations on either the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr. We did have some delays, and we did discover that 48 straight hours on the train is pushing the limits of our active 3-year-old's capabilities, but if that's the worst we faced, then I count us as fortunate.

I'll post more detailed reports of each of the four segments over the next week or so -- I wanted to get this topic started now to make sure I actually finish writing things up!
Look forward to your Trip report, glad you had no Cancellations or Delays, it's really tough right now on the Western Trains! And is Amtrak rerouting the Empire Builder through Madison now??? :eek: Guess the new Anti-Rail Governor and his Tea Party Comrades will want to put a Stop to that Nonsense, the People might get the Idea that Passenger Rail is OK afterall? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you had such an enjoyable journey ... can't wait to read your review!

Sometimes even adults have a hard time with 48 hours of just sitting on the train ... so you all did well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back