Circus Train on the NEC today! (4/2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
Heads up! I just saw what appears to be one section (too small to be the whole thing) of the Ringling Brothers Circus Train. Currently stopped between Newark International and Elizabeth.

Had NS diesels on one end, 2 Amtrak electrics on the other. Pretty cool site on the NEC!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heads up! I just saw what appears to be one section (too small to be the whole thing) of the Ringling Brothers Circus Train. Currently stopped between Newark International and Elizabeth.
Had NS diesels on one end, 2 Amtrak electrics on the other. Pretty cool site on the NEC!
Heading north or south?

I would be guessing south. According to their route the red unit is traveling between Brooklyn and Youngestown Ohio.

I wasn't sure since it was stopped with locos on both ends but the Amtrak units were on the south end, so I'm pretty certain South. (Benjibear confirmed this)

Unless something has changed in the past couple years, RBBB travels 2 simultaneous shows or units, the Red and the Blue. Each train is one section but carries 55-56 cars. This makes even the Auto Train look paltry. In the halcyon days of the circus when RBBB and other shows played under canvas, the RBBB train would be broken into as many as 4 sections as canvas, poles, seats, generators, ancillary wagons and everything else needed to create an entire self sufficient village had to be carried. On this line, be sure to watch the classic movie The Greatest Show on Earth.

Unless something has changed in the past couple years, RBBB travels 2 simultaneous shows or units, the Red and the Blue. Each train is one section but carries 55-56 cars. This makes even the Auto Train look paltry. In the halcyon days of the circus when RBBB and other shows played under canvas, the RBBB train would be broken into as many as 4 sections as canvas, poles, seats, generators, ancillary wagons and everything else needed to create an entire self sufficient village had to be carried. On this line, be sure to watch the classic movie The Greatest Show on Earth.
Good movie which shows the circus in one of the last years under the big top. It wasn't long after the movie that Ringling started play only arenas.

There is also a Gold unit which is a truck show that plays smaller venues. I beleive it is a one ring show.

I would be guessing south. According to their route the red unit is traveling between Brooklyn and Youngestown Ohio.
Sounds like it had just come through Penn Station using the Amtrak electrics, and the NS units have hooked onto the other end to pull it east through Lane and then eventually to go out on the NS line through Raritan and out through Philipsburg through harrisburg and on through Pittsburgh to Youngstown OH.

Of course there are other routings possible, but I seem tor ecall that I have heard at the Railroad Shop in Piscataway/New Market that it was going to go by there sometime this week. Hence my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once happened across the RBBB circus train on the move outside Brunswick, TN. Caught me absolutely by surprise as I wasn't even aware that the circus had been in Memphis and was on the way to Nashville that day.

Remarkable sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back