City of New Orleans and Hiawatha Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpamtfan

OBS Chief
Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy but I finally have time to write these!

My trip on Amtrak 58 on May 6th never happened. CN didn't give Amtrak a thumbs up to run until the morning we were due out, so we needed a way to get too Memphis! We looked at Greyhound, but we settled on a rental car. This probably worked out better since we could drop the rental off and pick my mom up at the airport. I really wanted to ride the full CONO route, but I didn't complain since I'm also a soda collector :) !

After a good weekend in Memphis and Clarksdale (Crossroad of the blues :cool: ), it was time for a ride on the CONO.

Then there was finding the station entrance :rolleyes: ! Luckily some walkers helped us find it.

58 arrived around five minutes late with the following consist:

P42DC 6

SL2 Transition Dormitory Sleeper39027

SL2 Sleeper 32077(My car)

SL1 Diner Lounge (AKA Cross Country Cafe) DINING CAR ONLY 37012

SL1 Lounge Car 33016 (First ARRA Refurbishment, very nice car) CAFE OPENED

SL1 Coach Baggage 31016 (Refurbished)

SL1 Coach 34042 (Refurbished)

Unidentified coach; I actually thought 34042 was the last car, but we were on straight track. I could see all the way through the next car thinking 34042!

Bording was a mess. The new conductor told everyone to line up (Including sleeper passengers) in a line towards the coaches even though the attendant was right at the door of the sleeper. Instead, the conductor made all sleeper pax to walk to the coaches, only to be told to walk back. This never happened in past experiences.

Anyway we had two attendants working our car, with one of them being a first tripper. Both attendants were very nice and helpful.

A little bit outside Memphis I walked to the lounge. It was my first time in a Sightseers Lounge, and although it was only a short experience, it was fun. I got a great Amdog which I took with me to my roomette. At about midnight I walked the train (I should have taken pics in the morning as to not disturb anyone), then took pictures of the lounge. FINALLY I called it a night, but I was awakebefore the sun to see an awesome sunrise across the open plains of Indiana! One of the prettiest things I had ever seen!

We were some of the first too breakfast. We both had the French Toast (Best on the trip)and bacon. Then, I guess of exastion, I stayed in my room the rest of the trip into Chicago! I regret not walking the train again or even just enjoying the Lounge!

We backed down the St. Charles Air Line, then roared into Union Station quite early. After dropping our bags in the Metropolitan Lounge baggage room, we walked to the Amtrak yards, then to a Target to look for jeans (I ended up wearing shorts in 40 degree weather :eek: :lol: ), and onto Giordanos (Found it!) for a delectible lunch. We walked back to Union Station, picked up our bags, and soon thereafter boarded Hiawatha service (Forgot which train #). I ended up sleeping pretty much the whole way to Milwaukee, arriving very late (don't know how that happened). Our cousins picked us up and took us straight to the Milwaukee Brewers vs. Atlanta Braves game. Brewers were aniolated even without alot of big names in the lineup.

Part three will come soon!

I didn't complain since I'm also a soda collector!
As in you collect soda bottles?

Bording was a mess. The new conductor told everyone to line up (Including sleeper passengers) in a line towards the coaches even though the attendant was right at the door of the sleeper. Instead, the conductor made all sleeper pax to walk to the coaches, only to be told to walk back. This never happened in past experiences.
Yeah, I noticed things were pretty slow when boarding in Austin. Normally it's not a huge deal I suppose, but the train was already pretty late and their inefficient boarding process only ensured it would be even later. Why can't the rest of the attendants check your ticket? Is it so complicated only the conductor can do it?

It was my first time in a Sightseers Lounge, and although it was only a short experience, it was fun. I got a great Amdog which I took with me to my roomette.
I couldn't help but grin at reading that. :)

After dropping our bags in the Metropolitan Lounge baggage room, we walked to the Amtrak yards...
Is this something you can see and photograph without trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a good view of the Amtrak yards from Roosevelt Road, which is about a mile south of the station. Shouldn't experience any trouble, but no one can guarantee that you won't.

FINALLY I called it a night, but I was awakebefore the sun to see an awesome sunrise across the open plains of Indiana! One of the prettiest things I had ever seen!
Pretty sure the City of New Orleans does not get close enough to Indiana for it to be seen from the train.

FINALLY I called it a night, but I was awakebefore the sun to see an awesome sunrise across the open plains of Indiana! One of the prettiest things I had ever seen!
Pretty sure the City of New Orleans does not get close enough to Indiana for it to be seen from the train.
Right, those were the beautiful plains of Illinois that you saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back