City of New Orleans (train) discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed that #59 out of Chicago has been leaving approximately 1.5 hours earlier than it usually does. Previously, it has left Chicago at 8:05P CST, but now leaves at 6:30P CST.

Just curious, is this a permanent schedule move? I'm assuming this has been done to accommodate more CN traffic on that line. I usually track it on a railcam just outside of Chicago, but realized that it has been passing earlier than expected.

I have noticed that #59 out of Chicago has been leaving approximately 1.5 hours earlier than it usually does. Previously, it has left Chicago at 8:05P CST, but now leaves at 6:30P CST.

Just curious, is this a permanent schedule move? I'm assuming this has been done to accommodate more CN traffic on that line. I usually track it on a railcam just outside of Chicago, but realized that it has been passing earlier than expected.
Track Work by CN from March 7 to April 7th!

I saw via railcam that #59 tonight (6/27/23) had two lounge cars. I know this was probably to help with the length requirement for CN's line, but it was pretty cool to see. A win for the passengers too!

View attachment 33003
The poor Texas Eaglette sure could use one of these!!!

#59 has a double lounge cars again tonight. I'm pretty that trainset has been having these cars since Tuesday's post, but I just haven't had the chance to watch online). So, it looks like this is going to be a norm for a while.
View attachment 33017
Axle Count Car while the Cap and Eaglette go without a SSL!!🤬

I wonder how many loose SSL's there are between axle count cars like this and the ones on the Surfliner. I wonder, if they were all put together, if they could be added to the Eagle or Capitol.

What is the current consist of the CONO? Is there at least a cross country lounge car where sleeper passengers can eat without having to take back to their rooms?

While wondering why the City of New Orleans hasn't shown up on ATCS nor passed the Mount Carmel HS RailStream camera yet tonight (Sunday, December 3rd) , I wondered where it was tonight and I looked up the status of it on the Amtrak website and saw this below.
1701657481554.png
I often see these alerts mentioning a mechanical issue if it is delayed, but this time, it's relating to the crew. I'm hoping that everything is okay.

Just returned from a short-ish trip south from the Midwest to the Big Easy. We left Wed late and got back Tue early from Champaign, IL on the CONO.

The CONO has a well-earned reputation (along with the Eagle & Cardinal) of being among Amtrak's most disrespected trains.

Almost exactly 12 hours later I am sitting in a "First Class" Delta lounge in between legs of a (all middle seat) "Comfort Class" journey from Indy-Tulsa for business. Even with the lounge access and the "Comfort Class" - air travel is just miserable. There's no two ways about it.

Despite the microwave food and the aging equipment - we had a terrific trip to New Orleans (Go Lions!) - and the CONO in no way detracted from that. In fact - in spite of itself it added greatly to the enjoyment of the trip.

Do Amtrak trains like the CONO need to be much, much better? Absolutely.

That being said - even in its current state - I'll take the CONO over typical air travel any day.

Trying to find some info on the CONO "Transition" sleeper... is this something unique to this train? In both directions, or just included in the consist as needed for repositioning?

Trying to find some info on the CONO "Transition" sleeper... is this something unique to this train? In both directions, or just included in the consist as needed for repositioning?
Transition sleepers are cars that have a door on one end that can access the baggage car. And it’s used for the crew but they will sell revenue roomettes if needed. It is not unique to the CONO.

https://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html
IMG_6046.jpeg

Hi there. I am wondering if you can tell me what the consist is on the CONO, and if it is "consistent." For example, are the sleeping cars always in the front or sometimes in the back? Also is there always a sightseer lounge or is it missing sometimes. Thanks!

Hi Manny.. I don't know if it's consistent, I just took a round trip on the CONO and coming back to Chicago, the sleepers were in the back, and I've already forgotten the positioning on the outbound trip. Hope someone can give you a better response and I am terrible with details like specs. Other details I do focus on will be in my upcoming trip report!

I usually online railfan #59 at night from the railcams that it passes, but I saw that tonight (2/29)'s southbound CONO from Chicago was cancelled. I couldn't find an explanation on Amtrak's website for the cancellation (via Train Status) nor on the AmtrakAlerts Twitter page. Does anyone know why it was cancelled?

I did see on the train tracker system for the IC line in that region, CN lined another northbound train in place of the SB CONO, and NB #392 ran at regular schedule.

Back