City of New Orleans vs fuel truck in Mississippi

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From WMC-TV, Channel 5 in Memphis, TN, 4/23/07:

An Amtrak training traveling to New Orleans collided Monday morning in Mississippi.
Officials say the train, which originated in Chicago, struck a diesel truck in Sledge, Mississippi, about an hour south of Memphis.
Usually when we use the word collided, we say in the same sentence what the subject collided with. This could have been as serious as Bourbonnais, but thankfully there were no reported injuries nor a fire on the train, despite explosion of the truck's tank. Story is here.

The pickup truck/trailer which was straddling the tracks was reportedly carrying a "fuel bladder." There were melted window seals on two of the Superliner cars, so clearly it could have been a Bourbonnais type incident. Fortunately it wasn't.

But this got me to wondering, is it legal to run around with a "full fuel bladder" in your truck or trailer? I've never heard of these being used except by the military, never by civilians. And if it is illegal to put gas in unapproved containers at service stations, as every pump I have ever gotten gas out of in my life clearly states, is somebody negligent for allowing some bozo to fill his bladder at the local 7-11?

The pickup truck/trailer which was straddling the tracks was reportedly carrying a "fuel bladder." There were melted window seals on two of the Superliner cars, so clearly it could have been a Bourbonnais type incident. Fortunately it wasn't.
But this got me to wondering, is it legal to run around with a "full fuel bladder" in your truck or trailer? I've never heard of these being used except by the military, never by civilians. And if it is illegal to put gas in unapproved containers at service stations, as every pump I have ever gotten gas out of in my life clearly states, is somebody negligent for allowing some bozo to fill his bladder at the local 7-11?
This was probably a farmer. If so they do not buy fuel at the local 7-11. A bulk dealer generally delivers fuel to a large tank on the farm. What the farmer pumps it into from that tank is beyond the dealers control. In this case the fuel was supposedly diesel not gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back