City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WiCruiseDreamer

Hi all ...

This October, my father and I are looking to take the train from Milwaukee to New Orleans and back. We have just about decided on getting a roomette (?) for both ends of the trip, but have questions.

1) How do we reserve a particular roomette?

2) Is one roomette better then another?

3) What are the amenities for having a roomette?

4) Are our meals served in our roomette?

5) Where i sour luggage stored?

As for the stations themselves, what is Milwaukee, Chicago and New Orleans like? Are there any special amenities for being in a roomette?

Thank you for all of your assistants in answering my questions.

Candy

You can call Amtrak and reserve a specific roomette, if available. Roomettes are generally the same, except some are on the upper level and some are on the lower level. Each have their advantages and disadvantages as detailed in other threads on this forum. When you have a roomette, it includes all your meals in the dining car, excluding alcoholic beverages or anything you may want from the cafe car. It also gives you access to restrooms in your sleeper car as well as a shower. Your car will have water, juice, and coffee available for you, as well. You may eat your meals in your roomette or the diner. Most prefer to eat in the diner and enjoy the communal seating and the opportunity to chat with other passengers. As to your luggage, you can keep one or two small bags in your roomette, but larger bags you can store in the luggage rack on the lower level, or you can check luggage. The advantage to storing your luggage on the lower level of your car is that you still have access to it whereas if you check your luggage, you have to access to it until you claim it at the end of your journey. As a sleeper-car passenger, you will have access to special lounges in Chicago and New Orleans. The Metropolitan lounge in Chicago is very nice and generally has beverages and snacks for you free of charge as you wait. You will also board your train from there ahead of the coach passengers. I understand the lounge in New Orleans is not quite as nice, but I have never been there. I am not sure if Milwaukee has a lounge or not. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi Candy,

I'll just add that personally when I rode the City a couple of months ago, I was in roomette 3 on the second level going down, and roomette 13 on the lower level coming back. Both were fine. Differences: Upstairs you are close to the ice, juice, and coffee. However, upstairs there is only the one bathroom with sink and toilet for the roomettes to share. I used the ones downstairs even when I was staying upstairs, because there are three down there. There is also a shower downstairs for the roomette passengers to use (showering at 79 MPH is a don't miss experience! :giggle: ) So, if you want to be closer to more bathrooms and the shower, also the luggage rack for bags you don't check, you might want to stay downstairs. About luggage: the roomettes don't have a lot of luggage space at all, just room for maybe a duffle and a small carry-on. (And I left my carry-on downstairs at that because I didn't want to lug it upstairs.) However, drawbacks to downstairs would be being close to the Family Room if you happened to land a noisy bunch of kids (I was lucky, right next to it but one person had it all to himself) and it is a bit bumpier downstairs, and you're closer to the ground so you may find the view is better upstairs. You have to call to request a specific roomette, when you book online the system gives you the next available.

Edit: Have to add an endorsement for eating in the dining car. The food is good, and while you can as noted have your meals brought to your room, I didn't. I was traveling alone, but being seated with others and hearing their stories was one of the highlights of the whole trip. On the way out of Chicago I was seated at dinner with a 91 year old gentleman who was a WWII vet...fascinating conversation!

Last edited by a moderator:
By October, the Magnolia Room should definitely have emerged from its remodel in the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal. Last month, I was told it would be a few months until completion. It should provide you and your father with a nice place to relax until your train departs. The conductor will come in and get you when it's time to go.

But keep in mind, if you can afford it,that a bedroom is much better for two people.

Let me ask a personal question which you do not have to answer, but that is, are you both thin people? If not you should consider a bedroom.

The waiting room for sleeping passengers in New Orleans is okay. Nothing fancy but okay.

But keep in mind, if you can afford it,that a bedroom is much better for two people.

Let me ask a personal question which you do not have to answer, but that is, are you both thin people? If not you should consider a bedroom.
Agree that a bedroom is more comfortable for two, but...I'm a 275 pounder, and I've never felt uncomfortable in a roomette, even sharing it with a nephew or niece.

I agree, though, that if I were sharing with another plus-size adult, then..."Houston, we have a problem!"

You can also inquire about upgrading once you board...if there's availability, they will sell the room at the lowest price...I actually saw a situation once where someone upgraded from roomette to bedroom for FREE. The "D" fare for the bedroom was less than the "Y" fare they'd paid for the roomette.

Go with the upper rooms. Better view. You are on the same floor as the dining and lounge cars. There are more rooms there so you are less likely to be forgotten by the SCA and easier to have conversations with others in your car.

The fun of the trip is the opportunity to meet people and talk. Don't miss it. Talk to those you meet in the lounge and diner. Talk to your SCA and ask what life is like and where they work out of, and what their schedule is like. Talk to the conductor if you can. Some are really nice and will spend time if and when they can.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the views. Remember dessert is included with dinner.

Oh, and while most bathrooms are downstairs, they are meant for all the car's occupants and you don't have to use just the one upstairs.

And indeed, taking a shower at 79mph is an experience not to be missed once but taking the shower while stopped is a lot easier.

There are numerous stops where it is not just load-and-go and they will sometimes be called smoke stops. Don't believe it. Even if you don't smoke, take the opportunity to step off the train, see what is happening, and breathe the fresh air (if upwind from the smokers).

Be nice; smile; enjoy; tip the SCA and dining attendants even though your meal is included in the price. Be generous at the first meal because you will see them later. Tell the crew you appreciate the job they are doing (unless of course their work is substandard).

And if you get the opportunity to ride in the cab with the engineer on the train, keep on the track (Just kidding. They don't let you do that. in the U.S.)

Hi all ...

This October, my father and I are looking to take the train from Milwaukee to New Orleans and back. We have just about decided on getting a roomette (?) for both ends of the trip, but have questions.

1) How do we reserve a particular roomette?

2) Is one roomette better then another?

3) What are the amenities for having a roomette?

4) Are our meals served in our roomette?

5) Where i sour luggage stored?

As for the stations themselves, what is Milwaukee, Chicago and New Orleans like? Are there any special amenities for being in a roomette?

Thank you for all of your assistants in answering my questions.

Candy
Candy,

Here are my answers to your quesions.

1) Call Amtrak. Cannot be done on internet.

2) I ususally prefer upper level roomettes, but that is just my opinion, as it has a better view. Roomettes around the stairs and passegeway doors are usually more noisy. However, the farther from the ends of the car you are, the better the ride quality, but it is not a large difference.

3)According to Amteak's website:

Meals included <LI>Picture window <LI>Two reclining seats which convert to a bed; upper berth which folds down from wall <LI>Available on both upper and lower levels of the Superliner <LI>No in-cabin toilet or shower; restrooms, showers nearby in same train car <LI>Electrical outlets <LI>Climate control <LI>Individual reading lights <LI>Garment rack <LI>Fold-down table <LI>Fresh towels and bed linens <LI>Soap and shower amenities <LI>Personal service (turn-down, coffee, paper, make-up bed) <LI>Bottled water <LI>Daily newspaper

4) They are usually served in the dining car. The CONO features a Cross Country Cafe, which used to be a diner combined with lounge, but is no just a diner with different seating.

5) You can check three pieces of baggage for FREE or store in your roomette. All trains along your routing have checked baggage. I would recommend this option.

Don't forget to tip the Sleeper Attendant, Diner Attendant, and Redcap (if you use checked baggage).

Have a nice trip,

Swadian

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the info and suggestions. I have made our reservations and am seeing we have roomette 2 going down and 5 coming back.

I'd suggest taking a small duffle bag or backpack with everything you'll need on the train. Then pack everything else in suitcases and check it all the way from MKE to NOL. Saves the hassle of messing with luggage in Chicago Union Station. My wife and I have done similar going from LVW to MKE and back a couple of times.

Since we will be embarking on a cruise the day after we arrive in New Orleans, we will check everything but an overnight back for use both on the train as well as the night at a hotel in New Orleans.

We realize that the roomette may be a bit tight as my father and I are both adults with one of us on the plus size, however we think it will work just fine, as not all of our time will be in the roomette.

Thank you all for the great information that you have given me so far, am sure I will be back for more.

Roomette 2 is at the center of the car, directly across from the attendant's room and roomette 5 is just down the hall, and still good. HERE is a diagram of the car's layout. (Look under the Superliner layout.)

Wait a minute! I thought those diagrams had some errors, like with the Viewliner bedrooms. How can I access the diagrams PerRock made? Those were awesome!

Roomette 2 is at the center of the car, directly across from the attendant's room and roomette 5 is just down the hall, and still good. HERE is a diagram of the car's layout. (Look under the Superliner layout.)

Wait a minute! I thought those diagrams had some errors, like with the Viewliner bedrooms. How can I access the diagrams PerRock made? Those were awesome!
AFAIK, those diagrams don't have any errors, but either way, here are the diagrams you're looking for:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/45998-new-car-floor-plans/page__fromsearch__1

AFAIK, those diagrams don't have any errors, but either way, here are the diagrams you're looking for:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/45998-new-car-floor-plans/page__fromsearch__1
On the Viewliner drawing at Friends of Amtrak page, the A & B Bedroom's are backwards. A is next to the H room and B is next to the Roomettes in the actual cars. The diagram has them reversed.

On the Viewliner drawing at Friends of Amtrak page, the A & B Bedroom's are backwards. A is next to the H room and B is next to the Roomettes in the actual cars. The diagram has them reversed.
I learn something new every day on this forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back