Classic railroad glassware, vintage or otherwise

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have enjoyed two railroad-themed cocktails, the 20th Century and the Silver Meteor. I make the 20th Century at home quite a bit, but I've only enjoyed the Silver Meteor at the Columbia Restaurant in Tampa. It has occurred to me that I could enjoy it more if I had the appropriate glassware from the Railroads involved (New York Central for the 20th Century, Seaboard Air Line, Seaboard Coast Line or even Amtrak for the Silver Meteor.) I did a quick web search to see what was available and didn't find anything (though there was a nice-looking set of PRR old-fashioned glasses, $35 for for a set of 4 on e-bay). Are there dealers in such memorabilia that might have this sort of thing available? I serve my 20th Century in a martini glass, but I think that the "proper" glass is more of a coupe-style. The silver Meteor was served in a champagne flure, which makes sense, because its basically a glass of Spanish cava mixed with a couple of liqueurs.

eBay is the right place. You have to be patient. Set up some searches that you run regularly. As you see what comes up, you'll see possible additions to your searches. eBay allows old-fashioned searches with the minus sign for words to exclude. I found these just now which presumably weren't there when you looked:
flute glasses
And this
Or this

The other place to look is museums that feature the trains in question.

One final possibility, get the glassware you want and take it to a shop that does custom etching. Or find some decals (model train shop) and use them for a lower budget option.z

There may be some other rail-oriented glassware that you would find appropriate. There are several steam engines that are actually decanters or bottles, and also several which are a caddy that holds a decanter or shot glasses. At least one is also a music box.

I still have my "Little Mainliner" souvenir glass from the Illinois Central. They were sold by the IC, along with some other souvenir's like a chromed spike, and a Panama Limited tie bar in their diner's...they are listed on the menu's...

I Googled "railroad memorabilia dealers" and came up with a company called Railroad Memories. There were some other listings as well. I did not explore any of these sites, so I don't know if they might have what you are seeking or not MARC Rider.

I had a sturdy glass mug from Amtrak's Capitol Limited that was part of a travel kit which was used for all types of beverages. It was paired with a similar, custom-etched glass mug I got for being a member of the Liberty House (employees') President's Club. The travel kit (which was originally equipped with fragile, stemmed glasses that soon broke) had room for the two mugs and an insulated compartment for a bottle of my choosing.

I see on eBay a set of four of these for $34.99, or one in the original box for $15.

Back