Cleveland, OH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
I (early 20s) may be taking a trip to CLE on the LSL to visit family depending on how COVID cases go over the next little while. They live in Twinsburg, a suburb about 30-45 minutes southeast of Cleveland. My sister (mid-30s) mentioned she wanted to ride on a train together, but I think the only option is the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, which I've heard is quite good. I'd also like to check out the RTA (yes I know, not the best system in the world), but what else should I look for in the Greater Cleveland area, both general and train/transit-wise? I'd spend at least 3 days there. She has a 3yr old, so some activities being family/kid-friendly would be nice. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Not so much for the 3 year-old, but the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame is there. We normally go during baseball season when our Jays play there, so that eats up a fair bit of time. It's a fairly easy town to navigate, with a circular highway system. Train station is right on the lake and there's not much to walk to nearby - especially given the arrival hour. We have taken their light rail system from both the airport and the east end (Beechwood/Mayfield area) to the ballpark downtown to avoid driving into the city. It's fine.

childrens museum is near downtown; an assortment of world class museums, case western-reserve university and little italy all in the "university circle" area accessible by rta rapid to the university circle stop or mayfield-120th stop. the later will drop you right at the eastern edge of the university circle area and the museums all within walking distance from there (put the child in a stroller- i speak from experience!) lots to do and see in this area

Our little town of Berea is a railfan "hot spot", seeing well over 100 CSX and Norfolk Southern freight trains a day. The beautiful and historic Berea Union Depot hasn't had any passenger service in over half a century, but is in great condition and houses a pretty good restaurant by the same name. Weather permitting, you can dine outdoors and see the trains during your meal. If you don't eat there, they still allow railfans to use their parking lot to set up chairs and watch the trains, just park at the end that's far from the restaurant. The Metroparks' nearby Rocky River Reservation is gorgeous and has a paved hiking trail that is flat enough to push a stroller. There is a nice playground a mile or so away at Coe Lake Park in downtown Berea.

Unfortunately I can't recommend riding RTA's Red Line during the pandemic. The City, County, and RTA itself all have mask mandates, but none of the three entities do anything to enforce them on the Red Line. The Blue and Green lines have better mask compliance and should have plenty of space apart from the AM and PM rush hours.

If you have someone willing to pick you up at Lakefront Station in the middle of the night, thank them profusely! If not, I recommend being one of the first passengers off the train so you can claim one of the two or three taxis that wait outside at train times. Lyft and Uber drivers are few and far between at those times, and can't always find the station even with GPS.

Last edited:
Our little town of Berea is a railfan "hot spot", seeing well over 100 CSX and Norfolk Southern freight trains a day. The beautiful and historic Berea Union Depot hasn't had any passenger service in over half a century, but is in great condition and houses a pretty good restaurant by the same name. Weather permitting, you can dine outdoors and see the trains during your meal. If you don't eat there, they still allow railfans to use their parking lot to set up chairs and watch the trains, just park at the end that's far from the restaurant. The Metroparks' nearby Rocky River Reservation is gorgeous and has a paved hiking trail that is flat enough to push a stroller. There is a nice playground a mile or so away at Coe Lake Park in downtown Berea.

Unfortunately I can't recommend riding RTA's Red Line during the pandemic. The City, County, and RTA itself all have mask mandates, but none of the three entities do anything to enforce them on the Red Line. The Blue and Green lines have better mask compliance and should have plenty of space apart from the AM and PM rush hours.

If you have someone willing to pick you up at Lakefront Station in the middle of the night, thank them profusely! If not, I recommend being one of the first passengers off the train so you can claim one of the two or three taxis that wait outside at train times. Lyft and Uber drivers are few and far between at those times, and can't always find the station even with GPS.
totally agree, although i have seen folks walk up and over to public square from amtrak (as a woman i would not do it at night, but have done it during the day); have been to berea to "railfan" and take pics, but have some folks there who do not understand "diversity"; will not stop me, though!!!!

Coming back to this thread as I'll finally be traveling next week! A ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, the children's museum, Berea Union Depot Restaurant, and the playground at Coe Lake Park are all planned. Thanks very much to everyone for their suggestions!

Coming back to this thread as I'll finally be traveling next week! A ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, the children's museum, Berea Union Depot Restaurant, and the playground at Coe Lake Park are all planned. Thanks very much to everyone for their suggestions!
Look forward to your Trip Report! Have fun!

Back