Clinton-Blue line chicago subway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

white rabbitt

Lead Service Attendant
i have a 3 hour layover wednesday from the time

the wolverine gets into union station and the Texas Eagle leaves,

i want to get the subway the clinton blueline to lasalle one stop away

how close is that to union station

Depending on which exit you use:

You can also take Van Buren west (away from the river) toward Clinton and then head south for a block. Clinton is the most direct route, though.

The stairs to the subway are under the overpass. The stairway rails are painted blue so you can see them easily.

Either way, it's about a quarter-mile from the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
I note that the LaSalle station is still within what I would consider walking distance from Union Station -- it's about four blocks east and two blocks south, which is three-quarters of a mile.

Are you actually trying to get to something near the LaSalle station, or are you just planning this so you can take a brief "joyride" on the 'L' system?

If it's the latter, I would highly recommend, instead, walking east from Union Station on Jackson Street to the Quincy elevated station, and taking the Brown or Orange lines around the Loop.

Depending on how much time you want to spend, I would recommend taking the Orange Line all the way to Midway and/or the Blue Line all the way to O'Hare. Either way you will get a good look at the city and be able to experience the Loop as well. Now I do not know if they kick you off the system at ORD or MDW since they are endpoints; so you may need to purchase mutiple rides. Loop to MDW to ORD and back to Loop should be no more than 3 rides at most. A single ride is $2.25 and a Day Pass is $10. Farecard machines are located right before the turnstyles.

i am going to 428 south clark

royal pawnshop (hardcore pawn chicago tru tv)

i wanted to see the store since i watch the show

and someone told me to get the clinton blueline to lasalle

and walk it was less then a 5 minite walk

The Blue Line is probably the most direct, but also probably the least interesting. If you walked across the river & jumped on the Loop at Quincy and took it a stop to La Salle/Van Buren you'd ger to see more of the city. It is a slightly longer walk to the station. Alternatively you could just walk to the Royal Pawnshop, it's well within what I would consider walking distance.

peter

the texas eagle has been leaving on time

so i figured if the wolverine got in ontime

i could drop my luggage at the metro lounge

then go there, do i leave union station by mcdonalds

The Rabbit wants to visit the pawn shop, not take a ride out to the airports or around the loop. It actually might be easier (and maybe quicker) just to walk there.

Rabbit - it's .7 miles from Union Station if you walk the entire way. It should take about 15 minutes.

If you don't want to walk that far, you can take the Clinton Blue Line to the LaSalle stop. It will be the first stop after you board at Clinton. To get to Clinton St, you're going to go out one of the exits in the Great Hall.

When you get off at LaSalle, head east on Congress and turn left onto Clark St. It's only 500 feet from the stop and should just take a couple minutes.

If you want to walk to the pawn shop from Union Station (without using the L), you're going to walk east on Jackson (toward the river) toward Clark St and then turn right on Clark St. You'll cross Van Buren, and then the pawn shop is in the next block.

To get to Jackson St, you're going to exit next to Au Bon Pain (the bakery). The exit by McDonald's is for Adams St. You CAN use that exit; you would just walk down Adams to Clark instead of using Jackson.

Here's a link to Google Maps. This shows you the walking path, and you can see the stops for Clinton and LaSalle as well. (They're the big, blue [M] on the map.)

http://goo.gl/maps/awrIO

Depending on how much time you want to spend, I would recommend taking the Orange Line all the way to Midway and/or the Blue Line all the way to O'Hare. Either way you will get a good look at the city and be able to experience the Loop as well. Now I do not know if they kick you off the system at ORD or MDW since they are endpoints; so you may need to purchase mutiple rides. Loop to MDW to ORD and back to Loop should be no more than 3 rides at most. A single ride is $2.25 and a Day Pass is $10. Farecard machines are located right before the turnstyles.
They tell you to get off the train when it reaches the end of the line, but except for the Yellow Line, you don't have to leave the fare-paid area, just stay on the platform and get on the next departing train.

The Yellow Line is an exception because it lets you off on a platform that is outside the fare paid area (boarding passengers enter from a different platform).

That's just for information for anyone wanting to do a joyride. In this case, the OP has a specific destination in mind, so it's not relevant.

They tell you to get off the train when it reaches the end of the line, but except for the Yellow Line, you don't have to leave the fare-paid area, just stay on the platform and get on the next departing train.

The Yellow Line is an exception because it lets you off on a platform that is outside the fare paid area (boarding passengers enter from a different platform).

That's just for information for anyone wanting to do a joyride. In this case, the OP has a specific destination in mind, so it's not relevant.
Are you saying there are people who like to joyride trains? Just ride for the fun of it without a destination in mind? In other words their departure station is also their destination? That's just plain crazy! Where do I sign up? :giggle:

I actually have a goal to ride every line of the L from end-to-end. I'm about halfway finished.

I count it as any combination of stops and have been keeping track every time I've been to Chicago over the years, but another friend is doing the same thing, and she's only counting it if she starts at one end and stays on until the other end. She lives there, so she has more opportunities to take a day to ride a couple of lines in their entirety. :)

B and I are going to Chicago in late September. He'll be at conferences most of the time, so I'll probably use that opportunity to try to ride as many of the lines from end-to-end as possible and get the actual "completion" taken care of instead of my current "cumulative" method.

Not to rain on anyone's parade - and plans are good to have - but in all my trips through Chicago (and really all but once in DC), I've never been able to enjoy my expected layover time.

Ask JoanieB! :D

That being said, I did take a joyride on the Brown line many many years ago - but I think that was when I drove through town rather than taking the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back