Closure of NYP (1am to 5am)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to a News Story on Google News, effective Monday 5/04( Sunday Night 5/03 ) theNew York Penn Station Concourses for Amtrak and NJT will be Closed between 1am and 5am for "Deep Cleaning".

Only ticketed Passengers will be allowed into the Station after Midnight. All ( Any???) Trains that are still running during this time frame will continue their Schedules into/out of NYP.

That's how they have been doing it in the NYC Port Authority (major bus station in Manhattan, walking distance to Penn Station) way before the virus hit, so maybe they got "inspired" at NYP.

It makes sense, imho. As long as they let ticketed passengers in, it's alright by me.

According to a News Story on Google News, effective Monday 5/04( Sunday Night 5/03 ) theNew York Penn Station Concourses for Amtrak and NJT will be Closed between 1am and 5am for "Deep Cleaning".

Only ticketed Passengers will be allowed into the Station after Midnight. All ( Any???) Trains that are still running during this time frame will continue their Schedules into/out of NYP.
What about the LIRR concourse? they run several trains overnite...

Does 66/67 still operate? They are at 2-3 am!

And what if you connect with one arriving at 2 am and one departing at 6 or 7 am?

66/67/65 haven't run in about a month. There are only 3 trains running between WAS and BOS a day and an additional train in each direction between NYP and BOS.

I believe that PHL has been closed between 1 and 5am for 2 or 3 weeks now, and only the 30th Street Side of the station is open for the public to access the station.

It wasn't mentioned in the story???
I just now read the story...
So, only LIRR’s 34th Street entrance will be open overnight. I see even the subways will be closed 1 -5 AM.
The LIRR will be the only thing running overnight, and they will “cross honor” Metrocards for travel within the city area....interesting...

I was going to say 1966 since I presume they had to do some cleaning after destroying the previous station. 🙃
Dang. Forgot it was destroyed so late in the century. Sorry about that. When I wrote "1934" I was thinking of something on the scale of a WPA project.

1966 it must be. I've certainly never noticed evidence of "deep cleaning" there since I first detrained there in the mid-1970s.

Last edited:
66/67/65 haven't run in about a month. There are only 3 trains running between WAS and BOS a day and an additional train in each direction between NYP and BOS.

I believe that PHL has been closed between 1 and 5am for 2 or 3 weeks now, and only the 30th Street Side of the station is open for the public to access the station.
Where does 66 run to and fro from and does it have another name and why isn't the Southwest Chief westbound numbered 66 as the western part of it "tracks" with Route 66 and goes from Chicago to LA as did Route 66?

Where does 66 run to and fro from and does it have another name and why isn't the Southwest Chief westbound numbered 66 as the western part of it "tracks" with Route 66 and goes from Chicago to LA as did Route 66?
66 is the overnight Northeast Regional from Newport News, VA to Boston. In the past it has had a unique name and sleeping car service, but is now just like a typical Regional except for being slightly shorter and having baggage service.

and why isn't the Southwest Chief westbound numbered 66 as the western part of it "tracks" with Route 66 and goes from Chicago to LA as did Route 66?
Seriously?🤣

Beside's...I believe it is Route 66 that "tracks" the railroad, and not the other way around...by around a half a century....;)

N
Seriously?🤣

Beside's...I believe it is Route 66 that "tracks" the railroad, and not the other way around...by around a half a century....;)
No, not really seriously, but I find it fun to consider. I had not considered which came first being so delighted with myself about punning with the word "tracks".

I believe that there are a few hidden places where you can still see those...or there was when I was there in 2004...

I was going to say 1966 since I presume they had to do some cleaning after destroying the previous station. 🙃
That's true. I started visiting NYP circa 1969-70, and while I don't remember the grandeur of the old Penn Station, I thought that the new Penn Station, at that time, as a pretty slick and futuristic kind of place. It certainly seemed pretty clean to me. But the "new" Penn Station is 54 years old, the original, built in 1910, only lasted 53 years. So I guess it could use some "deep cleaning."

That's true. I started visiting NYP circa 1969-70, and while I don't remember the grandeur of the old Penn Station, I thought that the new Penn Station, at that time, as a pretty slick and futuristic kind of place. It certainly seemed pretty clean to me. But the "new" Penn Station is 54 years old, the original, built in 1910, only lasted 53 years. So I guess it could use some "deep cleaning."
As one who got to see the " Original Penn Station" as well as the "New" one age and become a Dungeon, I much preferred the Old One even if it was tired and worn down by the time the Original was destroyed by the Vegas Mindset Developers and Real Estate Moguls and their Puppet Politicians.
( and remember, they wanted to do the same GCT till Jackie O Chaired the Save Grand Central Campaign)

There was at least one, maybe two rebuilds since the Madison Square Garden era of Penn Station...the first one was I believe in the 80's, when they moved the ticket office from the 'Rotunda', into the area that had been occupied by the retail shops along the Eighth Avenue side...
But urban archeologists can still see several traces of the 1910 station, especially some of the stairways and railings to the platforms...

"Deep Cleaning" means "hustle" the legion of homeless out of the RR and Subway Venues.....(that were occupying card board sleeping beds etc.)
That’s the first thing that came to mind. Push the homeless out.
This “deep clean” should become regular nightly maintenance.

Back