'CN'......is 60 Years Old!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
'CN'.....that iconic logo.....the Noodle is 60 years old and IMHO just as fresh and modern today as it was when introduced in January 1961. And with it was a total revamp of CN's image.

72-05Scan10002.JPG75-09Scan10095.JPG75-07Scan10046.JPG

Until the Spring/Summer 1960 Timetable......the old green Maple Leaf image was prevalent. Then the Fall/Winter issue in October 1960 you could see something was happening but CN just wasn't quite ready to reveal it yet.

2020-02-27_102559.jpg2020-02-27_101416.jpg

The Spring Summer issue of April 1961 reveals the new image and going forwards and almost right up until VIA......just about every timetable followed this format with a blue background for Spring/Summer issues and red for the Fall/Winter issues.

2020-02-26_130341.jpg2021-01-21_123037.jpg2021-01-22_073056.jpg

On a trip west on the Canadian a couple of years ago and up in the Dome as we met a freight someone remarked "look, a CNN train!"

I don't think so! The logos might be similar but CN has CNN beat by 20 years!

https://www.logodesignlove.com/cn-logo-evolution
https://www.logodesignlove.com/cnn-logo
"The (CNN) logo was not without its critics. Canadian National Railways believed it closely resembled its logo and raised some concern about the matter. “I didn’t know anything about railroads or the Canadian National Railroad,” Dwyer said. “When I looked at the logos, it wasn’t even close.”

'CN'.....that iconic logo.....the Noodle is 60 years old and IMHO just as fresh and modern today as it was when introduced in January 1961. And with it was a total revamp of CN's image.

View attachment 20372View attachment 20373View attachment 20374

Until the Spring/Summer 1960 Timetable......the old green Maple Leaf image was prevalent. Then the Fall/Winter issue in October 1960 you could see something was happening but CN just wasn't quite ready to reveal it yet.

View attachment 20375View attachment 20376

The Spring Summer issue of April 1961 reveals the new image and going forwards and almost right up until VIA......just about every timetable followed this format with a blue background for Spring/Summer issues and red for the Fall/Winter issues.

View attachment 20377View attachment 20378View attachment 20379

On a trip west on the Canadian a couple of years ago and up in the Dome as we met a freight someone remarked "look, a CNN train!"

I don't think so! The logos might be similar but CN has CNN beat by 20 years!

https://www.logodesignlove.com/cn-logo-evolution
https://www.logodesignlove.com/cnn-logo
"The (CNN) logo was not without its critics. Canadian National Railways believed it closely resembled its logo and raised some concern about the matter. “I didn’t know anything about railroads or the Canadian National Railroad,” Dwyer said. “When I looked at the logos, it wasn’t even close.”

CN Passenger service ... one of those who got away from me... and the dream of having traveled on trains that no longer exist. [Of course now it's VIA for nationalized passenger rail service... but not the same.] I do wish someone would invent a time machine that could go back... so that us dreamers could make memories that never were...:rolleyes:

main.jpg
1611331298702.png

Few logos, in this day and age of information-age driven marketing, have survived as long as this one. This could very well be the longest standing logo today. I was also thinking of IBM, but looking it up, it's "only" 48 years old. The CN logo is reminiscent of the NASA "worm" which, introduced in 1975, was recently revived after being on hiatus since 1992. Though only its two middle letters are actually connected.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/the-worm-is-back

Every rail line wore a different logo, different color, and believe it or not, competed for passenger loyalties with those unique and delicious meals in the dining cars. That Amtrak is so standardized as to underscore homogenization and consistency ... as in monotonous and boring.

Sorry to say it is so hard to look back at how much of a delight rail travel once was... then you board an Amtrak across the country with its plumbing, ventilation, and other breakdown issues, when one wishes the windows would open just a crack... and having to bring one's own food on board.*

*Did you want to say meals were still included? As the un-opening windows and faulty ventilation systems don't work on the Superliners, you still breathe the air and sweat with overheating and say to yourself... "get over it." And with those noxious flex meals... no one is overeating.

How disturbing that when it comes to passenger service, looking back leaves one gasping for a reprieve in service. :oops:

3d4808090f3cce4c5e6ea2174646a9d1.jpg

Another iconic logo is VIA. It's 45 years old this year when CN rebranded its passenger services as 'VIA CN' in April 1976. A year or so later it was spun off as a separate Crown Corporation: VIA Rail Canada Inc.

2021-01-31_082201.jpg

Scan10092.JPG

Right side up.....up side down ....it still say VIA!

85-06Scan10050.JPG

85-06Scan10050 - Copy.JPG

And for Amtrak's 50th......wouldn't I love to see that original logo back (I haven't quite figured out the current one!)

10.JPG

Every rail line wore a different logo, different color, and believe it or not, competed for passenger loyalties with those unique and delicious meals in the dining cars.

I hate to say this, but even back in the golden days of rail, most passengers didn't ride the train for the "delicious meals in the dining cars." They rode the train because it was the most convenient (and sometimes the only) way to get from point A to point B. In fact, most passengers couldn't even afford dining car meals and had to bring their own food aboard. Also, this fancy dining was only found on the crack flagship trains; on the lesser trains, even if food was served, it wasn't always so fancy.

I suspect that in 100 years (if civilization hasn't collapsed) people will post on online forums about how back in the good old days it was so civilized that you could fly across the continent in 6 hours and eat yummy pretzels or you could drive your own car and eat tasty McDonalds whenever you felt like it, unlike in modern times when you were crammed into a windowless hyperloop and endured an hours-long amusement park ride, where the g-forces made it co you didn't even want to think about eating! And maybe Amtrak will still be chugging along attracting a niche clientele with those delicious flex meals. :)

I'm glad the CN and VIA logos are still with us after so many years. But looking at all those old timetable covers makes me think of how many more places one could go by train in the '70s and even through the '80s. The CN network was just vast, and the system was set up for travelers to make connections all across Canada. Now VIA's system, even pre-Covid, seems even more skeletal than Amtrak's. But the CN and VIA logos have better associations for me than the old Amtrak "pointless arrow."

Way back in the good old days... when there was passenger rail competition between companies going the same places, competition led to some wonderful amenities for passengers... which they enjoyed. True, when I was growing up, we couldn't afford those fancy $1.35 meals, but every once in a while we would indulge.

Competition brings better services and products for the consumer... that's the American way. It always was, and hopefully always will. I do think that the quality of life in our country will continue to prevail.

Now for the nationalization of passenger rail... known as Amtrak, competition between railroad passenger companies was eliminated. Eventually service became greatly diminished. It just could be that competition will prevail... even with rail travel... as can be seen in Florida. What the 'paying public' wants... it gets through competition.

And I do think that through congressional representation both funding and qualitative travel will prevail... with passenger rail... because the 'voting public' wants it.

I suspect that in 100 years (if civilization hasn't collapsed) people will post on online forums about how back in the good old days it was so civilized that you could fly across the continent in 6 hours and eat yummy pretzels or you could drive your own car and eat tasty McDonalds whenever you felt like it, unlike in modern times when you were crammed into a windowless hyperloop and endured an hours-long amusement park ride, where the g-forces made it co you didn't even want to think about eating! And maybe Amtrak will still be chugging along attracting a niche clientele with those delicious flex meals.

Let's talk about this prediction in 100 years... but more realistically let us live for today because that is what we have. With a whole lot of imagination perhaps there will be windowless hyperloop and hours long amusement park ride but really... they have less of a chance of happening than flex meals have of staying.

I do think roadside restaurants aren't going anywhere... different brands come and go through competition. And if those flex meals are around in 100 years... hmmm...

er... um... well... hoping they'll be gone in 100 days. 🚆

Back