CN Rouses Point Track (Adirondack)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vermont and New York State do not have reciprocal tickets and violations either.
If reciprocal traffic violations means what I think it means, out of state violations show up on your driving record, i think the entire West Coast, CA, OR, WA and BC are reciprocal. I know violations in CA, OR, or BC will show up on my WA record, as WA has agreements to that effect with all three.

Look, Stefanik represents NY-21, the largest district in area in the state and this train runs right through it. I concur with "turning the screws" on CN for OTP for the "City of New Orleans" and the trains to Carbondale. Also, they are going to lose with their delay tactics with the CP/KCS merger. We also have an Ambassador in Ottawa that can bring this up as well.
I live next to the line in Memphis the CONO runs on. For years you could set your clock to it it was NEVER late. Now, it hasn’t been on-time in over a month except for one day last week. But then they got delayed departing and sat at the BNSF/UP diamond over an hour because of signal problems. It’s pathetic.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: It is time to stop posting about stuff that is not about the subject matter of this thread, which is "CN Rouses Point Track". Such off topic posts will be removed, and at some point this thread may be cleaned up.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

This is another example of the race to the bottom that is occurring with transit infrastructure in the United States and Canada. This section of track could easily be restored to 79 mph running.

Imho it is equally important to repair the tracks from St Albans to Montreal. Iirc at some point it is the same set of tracks into Gare Centrale.

This is another example of the race to the bottom that is occurring with transit infrastructure in the United States and Canada. This section of track could easily be restored to 79 mph running.

Imho it is equally important to repair the tracks from St Albans to Montreal. Iirc at some point it is the same set of tracks into Gare Centrale.
Yes. The segment that is exclusive to the Vermont connection is the segment from CN Cantic to St. Albans. Realistically, I donnt think it will ever be rebuilt for anythi9ng above 60mph, and it might even be built for something lower.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, chatting with the Lake Champlain Ferry fare collector on the Port Kent side in 2014 or 2015, CN runs 4 freights a day on the Rouses Point sub, one each way to and from Vermont and NY. I have my doubts about the NY ones. But that does not merit 79 MPH operation from their standpoint, not like the Vermont route is theirs anymore as it was the Central Vermont Rwy.

The Montrealer and Adirondack routes are identical from Cantic-north. But CN is making infrastucture demands on the portion unique to the Montrealer: automating the Auburg trestle movement and remote control of the switch at Cantic. It is hand thrown, normally set for the visually diverging route to Vermont.

As I was told by the Essex Jct station caretaker, who knows lots of people on the CN, and had a long career with the CV, Vermonter crews would have to learn CN operating rules, some Canadian railroad regs, qualify for the route, and learn French. He hoped CN labor unions don't make a fuss about operating the train themselves north of St Albans due to historical precedent. That made the train's operation of three 5-person crews (one north in the AM, one to the VIA Rail yard, one south in the PM) ridiculously expensive for the 72 miles, and prompted Tom Downs to kill the Montrealer.

Back