Coach On The Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I am taking coach (lower level) from MSP to SEA, and to get rhe best fare, the ticket shows taking the 27 to SPK and the 7 to SEA, can I just tell the conductor my final destination is SEA, or do I need to switch at around 1:30 AM?

Make sure the Conductor at MSP knows you are going to SEA and he should be able to get you into the right Coach so you can enjoy a 1 seat ride all the way through.

Coach seats are generally assigned when people board such that all passengers getting off at a particular stop are seated in the same area of a coach car.

Doing so greatly simplifies the Train Attendant - Coach (TA-C) job requirement to avoid a 'carry by' - a passenger that didn't get off the train at the stop they paid their fare to.

On the EB the TA-C and the Conductor will also consider your destination to make sure you aren't in the coach car that will be unhooked from the consist in Spokane so it can go to Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it is "train" 7 and "train" 27, between Chicago and Spokane they both operate combined. When you board, tell them you're going to Seattle and they will direct you to the correct car. Either way, they should let you switch cars the night before so you don't have to switch in the middle of the night.

Also, the lower level seats are primarily for those who have difficulty using the stairs. If you are able to use them, and they need the space on the lower level, do not be surprised if you're offered a seat on the upper level! (I have!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never find any unable-bodied people in the LL coach area, and it is only a 12 person area, so less people to bother me, and a private luggage area!

When traveling coach, i always travel lower level,,, but then they take one look at my trache and never say anything. Rather my version of the scarlet letter,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back