Coast Starlight #11 Consist 5/26-5/27

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Originally this post was about how this train had a baggage car and four sleepers. However, the baggage car was added enroute (most likely at Portland) and the car behind the transdorm is a coach car.

Can anyone explain this consist?

1622181677079.png

My guess is any coach cut in between the transdorm and the sleepers is deadheading.
Well that would mean there is only one coach car, as behind the SSL there was a coach baggage and coach only. So I had assumed it was business class. I doubt they'd run it with only one coach car.

Did you say the baggage was cut in at Portland? There wasn't a baggage car out of Seattle?
Correct. The baggage car was not on when it passed through Chehalis, WA on the railcam and was on by the time it reached Sacramento. Portland seems like the most likely place it would be added, unless someone accidentally left a baggage car elsewhere, I wouldn't put anything past Amtrak at this point.

I can't see them running business class ahead of the sleepers since that means business class passengers walking through the sleepers constantly to get to the diner and the SSL.

If the baggage wasn't there at Chehalis, I agree it had to have been added at Portland. Still weird, normally a bag wouldn't be in Portland since the Baby Builder usually runs without one, just a coach bag, so why is it there in the first place? Set out from an earlier Starlight?

That's a mystery.

I still don't know why they would only run with one coach, since the last car would have to be the business class car

I really don’t know the how or the why, but this is the new standard daily CS consist. I don’t remember if I saw this particular train in Centralia, but this has been the normal consist since the 21st. I also really don’t understand putting Business in between the sleepers. The only thing I can think of is I’ve read some rumors that coach passengers still won’t be able to utilize the diner once traditional dining (at least initially) is re-instated. Maybe Business Class will have that option from the get-go?

2 Eng
1 Baggage
1 Trans-dorm
1 Business Class
2-3 Sleepers
1 Diner
1 SSL
2-3 Coaches

I really don’t know the how or the why, but this is the new standard daily CS consist. I don’t remember if I saw this particular train in Centralia, but this has been the normal consist since the 21st. I also really don’t understand putting Business in between the sleepers. The only thing I can think of is I’ve read some rumors that coach passengers still won’t be able to utilize the diner once traditional dining (at least initially) is re-instated. Maybe Business Class will have that option from the get-go?

2 Eng
1 Baggage
1 Trans-dorm
1 Business Class
2-3 Sleepers
1 Diner
1 SSL
2-3 Coaches
Amtrak is weird.

I asked my car attendant. They're putting the business class car behind the transition sleeper so that the businesses class car attendant can take care of 6 roomettes in the transition sleeper. It does increase sleeping car foot traffic. The train seems just about sold out for the long weekend.

Bonus train shot.20210530_080120.jpg

I asked my car attendant. They're putting the business class car behind the transition sleeper so that the businesses class car attendant can take care of 6 roomettes in the transition sleeper. It does increase sleeping car foot traffic. The train seems just about sold out for the long weekend.

Bonus train shot.View attachment 22673
I love seeing the consist getting back to normal with two sleepers w/ a transdorm and a baggage car! I wonder how long it will take to return to 10 cars

Bonus train shot.View attachment 22673
Thanks for asking!

Once again, Amtrak makes changes for its own convenience which negatively impact the passenger experience. While I agree that the Business Class TA should also handle the Dorm car roomettes, this consist arrangement is a recipe for on-board problems. The 30 and 31 sleepers will see increased foot traffic (and possible theft concerns), all sleepers could see Business Class customers utilizing their restrooms and showers, Business Class customers are now 4 cars from getting food in Lounge Car, Dining Car staff cannot assume all customers coming from the head of train are entitled to free meals and must "screen" all guests arriving in Dining Car.

They essentially solved one problem by creating several others. A better idea would be to place Business Class, Trans Dorm and Baggage at rear of train; or simply return Business Class between Diner and Lounge and reassign crew duties so its more efficient for OBS staff.

I talked to two different conductors and two sleeping car attendants and *none* of them like the consist this way. Although one sleeping car attendant said the workload is difficult when the adjacent sleeper also gets rooms in the transition sleeper, so from that perspective it's okay, but that it's generally bad and they hope it changes soon.

Great staff on the train though. My car attendant said this was her first trip back from being furloughed and she was super happy to be back working after the last year. They were constantly vacuuming, keeping the bathrooms clean, and generally just very accommodating especially since so many people were first time Amtrak riders. Other than the food the trip was really enjoyable.

Great staff on the train though. My car attendant said this was her first trip back from being furloughed and she was super happy to be back working after the last year. They were constantly vacuuming, keeping the bathrooms clean, and generally just very accommodating especially since so many people were first time Amtrak riders. Other than the food the trip was really enjoyable.
This makes me very happy.

Back