'Coast Starlight': crew

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unitedstatesfan

Train Attendant
On long distance trains such as the CS, I gather that the SCA and OBS work all the way from LAX to SEA or vice versa.

What about the conductor(s), which in Australia (if we still had them) we'd call the 'guard.'

Is there only one bloke on board who works all the time during an eight hour shift and is then relieved by another conductor, or are there two conductors on board with one resting while the other one works the train?

The operating crews are under Hours of Service and cannot be on duty more than 12 continuous hours. The conductors, normally a Conductor and Assistant conductor, are changed at regular crew change points, usually scheduled a few hours short of 12 hours, to allow for delays without having to be relieved. Both of them are on duty simultaneously; one of them should not be " resting ". Occasionally, if they are short handed, I have seen trains run with one conductor, who I believe is entitled to a penalty rate.

The scheduled time that conductors are on board Amtrak long distance trains is usually much less than 12 hours -- in fact, less than 8 hrs. For example, on the California Zephyr between Emeryville and Denver, conductors and assistant conductors change at Reno, Winnemucca, Salt Lake City, and Grand Junction

For the Coast Starlight, I believe that the operating crew changes in Portland, Klamath Falls, Sacramento, Oakland, and San Luis Obispo (I might not be accurate on crew change south of Sacramento, so correct me if I am wrong).

For the Coast Starlight, I believe that the operating crew changes in Portland, Klamath Falls, Sacramento, Oakland, and San Luis Obispo (I might not be accurate on crew change south of Sacramento, so correct me if I am wrong).
In the Bay Area, Engineer and Conductor crew districts are not always the same (San Jose is engineer only). In general, bmjhagen's comment is correct.

You might take a look at a Trains Magazine subscription/membership...

http://trn.trains.com/railroads/railroad-maps/2014/05/amtrak-crew-districts

I've elected to not post my JPG of the map in respect to copyright laws.

Conductors change at San Luis Obispo, Sacramento, Klamath Falls, and Portland.

Engineers change at San Luis Obispo, San Jose, Sacramento, Klamath Falls and Portland.

T&E crew members cannot be on duty more than 12 hours. The train stops where it is until it is re-crewed (dogcatch) at 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do these staff (engineers and conductors) typically stay in an Amtrak-provided rest house if they are away from their home base, or does Amtrak put them up in a motel with which it has an annual contract for X number of rooms?

Or do they 'travel per' as we call it in Australia (travelling on the next available train in the opposite direction) to get back to base?

In the USA, say an engineer works a relatively short shift such as San Jose to Sacramento, does he ever change over with a train in the opposite and work that train back to in this case Sacramento provided he's going to (all things going well) stay within the 12 hour shift limit?

I am a former crew dispatcher, but did not work for Amtrak, so I do not know all these answers. The long distance crews are put up in motels or hotels. ( I do not know if an Amtrak operated facility exists. ). In some cases of relatively short assignments, they may turn and work a return trip. La Junta to Dodge City is an example, but there is a 4 hour break, if things go right, as the round trip takes over 12 hours. I believe they are provided rest at a motel in Dodge City. Other turnaround points involve a layover of 24+ hours, such as Kingman, AZ. I hope this answers some of your questions. I do have a background in this, but worked for commuter rail, and do not pretend to know all the ins and outs of Amtrak.

Amtrak contracts out for a van service which takes the conductors and engineers to motels for rest.

Amtrak contracts out for a van service which takes the conductors and engineers to motels for rest.
In some cases. We will use the hotel shuttle if one is provided. If it's a case of staying at a place where a shuttle is usually provided but not available for some reason we can take a cab and get reimbursed. This has happened to me on one trip in DC, due to the hotel we usually stay being sold out, and having to stay at another property that (as far as I know anyway) is unsericeable by the shuttle that goes between the station, yard, and hotel.

In some cases. We will use the hotel shuttle if one is provided. If it's a case of staying at a place where a shuttle is usually provided but not available for some reason we can take a cab and get reimbursed. This has happened to me on one trip in DC, due to the hotel we usually stay being sold out, and having to stay at another property that (as far as I know anyway) is unsericeable by the shuttle that goes between the station, yard, and hotel.
Yep, I've seen a hotel shuttle dropping off Amtrak employees at WIL (Wilm, DE).

That company would be Renzenberger.
That may be true for some areas, but not all. I had to look at their website, but there's a few areas they don't offer coverage. I can tell you that Newport News, VA is covered by a different company, which I believe is also the same company that services Richmond (Lynchburg and Norfolk hotels have their own shuttles).

Triley, do they typically put you up in three star hotels?

Are there particular chains that Amtrak engages, or is it more based on location (close to the station) and price (to try to keep Amtrak's costs down)?

Are there hotels at which Amtrak employees stay that they find particularly good in terms of suitability for shift workers (excellent blackout curtains, minimal noise from housekeepers and guests, no or little noise from vehicular traffic on the roads and, ahem, trains and a good attitude from the receptionists coupled with a decent or at least passable breakfast?) Where are these hotels and what are their names?

Last edited by a moderator:
Triley, do they typically put you up in three star hotels?

Are there particular chains that Amtrak engages, or is it more based on location (close to the station) and price (to try to keep Amtrak's costs down)?

Are there hotels at which Amtrak employees stay that they find particularly good in terms of suitability for shift workers (excellent blackout curtains, minimal noise from housekeepers and guests, no or little noise from vehicular traffic on the roads and, ahem, trains and a good attitude from the receptionists coupled with a decent or at least passable breakfast?) Where are these hotels and what are their names?
It varies completely on the market, and we don't negotiate with the hotel ourselves, all hotel negotiation is done through a travel coordinator company, they also handle the billing for us on the hotel level. I have been put up at a couple Holiday Inn Express locations, a Country Inn & Suites, Crowne Plaza, Fairfield Inn, DoubleTree, and two different independent hotels. However, I'm staying in decent size cities, so there are more choices for our travel coordinator to contract with. T&E staying in the middle of nowhere is going to be more likely to be staying at a dump, if that's all that's available in that area.

As far as the other specifics you asked about, they're all pretty standard things offered. However, breakfast isn't necessarily an amenity Amtrak pays for. One hotel offers it to us for free, one lets us take breakfast stuff from their convenience store, one offers nothing for free, and the rest offer for free to all guests.

It is not just rail travel where Hour of Service rules exist. There are similar rules for flight crews, but if inflight delays run out their time, they obviously can't stop the plane midair. But it is not uncommon for a plane that is diverted for weather or a mechanical not to be able to leave because of crew time.

That may be true for some areas, but not all. I had to look at their website, but there's a few areas they don't offer coverage. I can tell you that Newport News, VA is covered by a different company, which I believe is also the same company that services Richmond (Lynchburg and Norfolk hotels have their own shuttles).
So far as I know they are in the areas 11/14 passes through which is why I mentioned them specifically. I know it's rare for me but I was actually staying on topic for once :giggle: . Of course your experience may vary depending upon your local area.

Renzerberger is one and PTI is another. Jitney drivers are some of the worst drivers out there sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back