Coast Starlight Detour

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak will once again detour the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Sacramento via Tehachapi Pass due to UP tunnel work on the normal Cuesta Pass route between San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles.
Here's the info from NARP hotline! Scroll down to middle of page for more information.

Here's the rare mileage for railfans! Sadly, I'm not retired yet.

Amtrak will once again detour the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Sacramento via Tehachapi Pass due to UP tunnel work on the normal Cuesta Pass route between San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles.
Here's the info from NARP hotline! Scroll down to middle of page for more information.

Aloha

And the AU Gathering missed by that much. (Get Smart was the in flight movie.)

UP is replacing track panels in those tunnels over Cuesta Grade. Further, unlike the detour I rode in June, these trains will not stop at Bakersfield; different and faster route. Also unlike June, no bus connections will be available to missed stops. A straight shot - both directions - between SAC-LAX. I'd go again - different route and all - but have prior commitments. RATS!!

Amtrak will once again detour the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Sacramento via Tehachapi Pass. Here's the info from NARP hotline! Scroll down to middle of page for more information.
This is great news! I've got my ticket, northbound on Sunday the 26th. This is the day that Trains Unlimited Tours will be running a couple of Private Dome Cars northbound, LAX to Seattle (then back again for the Tehachapi detour on the 29th). Coach Fare on Amtrak is, of course, substantially more economical!

Of course they wait to do this until right while the Phillies are finally in the World Series!!! :(

I wish they had announced it sooner because I was supposed to travel on the northbound Starlight from the Bay Area to Chico. Still, I don't have any huge complaints -- Amtrak called me twice to update my reservation.

I'm now set to take the last eastbound Capitol Corridor from Emeryville to Sacramento. There I'll wait an hour and then take Starlight north to Chico.

All things considered, it could've been a lot worse and Amtrak was on the ball in updating the reservation (they even caught the fact that I need to take the motorcoach from San Francisco to Emeryville).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back