Coast Starlight disrupted due to Delta Fire near Dunsmuir

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwolf

Conductor
The Delta Fire, located just south of Dunsmuir, has affected the Union Pacific mainline between California and Oregon. The latest news is that the fire has actually burned both the trackage itself, along with signaling and communication infrastructure for the railroad. As a result, both trains #11 and #14 are in Service Disruption effective 9/4/2018.

Interstate 5 is also closed in both directions due to the fire.

Both trains are being turned in Klammath Falls and Sacramento, respectively. No alternative travel options are being provided effected passengers.

This is a nighmarish fire. Here's a good discussion of some of the contributing factors, from the LA Times (click link for entire article):

Though the population has been increasing, even in these rural areas, the number of human-caused fires and the number of fires started in general hasn’t increased over time. It’s the number of total acres burned in California overall that has increased dramatically, indicating the fires are simply faster and more intense.

They are also harder to put out, he said.

“This is a really rugged area, and there’s not a lot of people who live there,” he said. “It’s hard to fight fire in this landscape and then you add the fuel accumulation issue and the drought…. It’s just another factor that makes it a challenging area to control once the fire starts.

Anyone know if the Starlight is running again? Amtrak states that the train is "sold out" 100% for the next few days, not sure if that is a euphemism for "cancelled" ?

Seems tickets are on sale later in the week...

Ed.

Anyone know if the Starlight is running again? Amtrak states that the train is "sold out" 100% for the next few days, not sure if that is a euphemism for "cancelled" ?

Ed.
Sold out is indeed Amtrak's euphemism for cancelled. If a route or segment is cancelled for a long period of time, they'll usually just take it off the booking page altogether, but if it's short notice and is supposed to last for a short period of time, they will usually just show it as "sold out".

Ed.
They do that because they're not 100% sure when it will run again between SAC & K.. That way, if the line opens sooner rather than later, they just put rooms/seats back into inventory for booking. Also, the whole route is not cancelled, just a segment of it.

This is a nighmarish fire. Here's a good discussion of some of the contributing factors, from the LA Times (click link for entire article):

Though the population has been increasing, even in these rural areas, the number of human-caused fires and the number of fires started in general hasn’t increased over time. It’s the number of total acres burned in California overall that has increased dramatically, indicating the fires are simply faster and more intense.

“This is a really rugged area, and there’s not a lot of people who live there,” he said. “It’s hard to fight fire in this landscape and then you add the fuel accumulation issue and the drought…. It’s just another factor that makes it a challenging area to control once the fire starts.

Wish we could ship them out rain. Been raining for two days straight here.

Sometimes I wonder if they couldn't use all those surplus tank cars, and run unit train loads of water from flood ravaged parts of the country, to the parched West....

Or build a pipeline...
default_unsure.png

Agree with Blackwolf...It appears they are still running LA > SAC and KFS > SEA as was done during the previous fire closure.

I was a Jalama Beach (Santa Barbara County) yesterday (Sunday) and northbound #14 went by pretty much on schedule.

I doubt a bus bridge is in place as I-5 has also been reported closed in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

When the rains come (and California tends to be either drought or monsoon) the freshly burned hillsides will become slide zones. More trouble.

Agree with Blackwolf...It appears they are still running LA > SAC and KFS > SEA as was done during the previous fire closure.

I was a Jalama Beach (Santa Barbara County) yesterday (Sunday) and northbound #14 went by pretty much on schedule.

I doubt a bus bridge is in place as I-5 has also been reported closed in the area.
Looks like Caltrans has just reopened I-5. This news site is not specific about when stories were posted -- but the link from their home page said "two hours ago."

The rails are OK, but traffic is periodically disrupted, so they are only running freight (and water tanker cars to protect the line).

Agree that not much water being dispensed . 2 tank cars at what 20,000+ gallons of water each. mayb UP needs more water cars ? Any idea how far the train's water capacity will allow ? Maybe the train goes back and forth ?

My friends who are schedule to take 14 SAC-SEA tonight have been told that it will be a bus.
default_sad.png
Not surprised, but apparently I-5 is at least partially open. Safe travels, everyone!

Speaking of water tanker cars and the Delta Fire...Fire Fighting Train

Saw this over the weekend.
That's very interesting...I have never seen anything like that before. As to refilling the tanks...perhaps they could run a hose down to the parallel creek, and pump water into the tanks?

When we first ran Union Pacific NRHS steam excursion's out of Denver, with the 8444 (844), it was an oil burner, and therefore no problem. But when they added the 3985 to the excursion fleet, which was a coal burner until they converted it later, they had to have a fire engine accompany it on the parallel roads, to put out grass fires it started...

My friends who are schedule to take 14 SAC-SEA tonight have been told that it will be a bus.
default_sad.png
Not surprised, but apparently I-5 is at least partially open. Safe travels, everyone!
Latest from my friends. "Going from worse to worser. 14 from LA hit a truck before it got to Salinas. Buses won’t leave here [sAC] until 14 arrives." Possibly 4 AM.

default_sad.png
Latest from my friends. "Going from worse to worser. 14 from LA hit a truck before it got to Salinas. Buses won’t leave here [sAC] until 14 arrives." Possibly 4 AM.
My friends ended up flying to SEA this morning. 14 is now scheduled to get to SAC ca. 8 AM.
1f641.png

This is the frustrating thing about the Starlight. I'm going to Sacramento tonight, and I have to decide if I'm going to chance the Starlight's OK but iffy timing (6:28pm departure from Salinas -- very nice -- midnight arrival in Sacto -- not ideal but tolerable), or go with a reliable bus/Capitol Corridor connection leaving three hours earlier. More comfortable ride in Starlight business class, cleaner trains and better food/beer once I get to the CC in San Jose.

I'll decide mid afternoon, but I'll probably go with the bus/CC. It's better transportation.

Hi, Folks --

New to the forum, but a long-time Amtrak traveler and fan.

My wife and I have a sleeper/bedroom reserved on the Coast Starlight from San Jose to Tacoma, leaving next Friday 9/21 and returning Saturday 9/29.

We have been following the Delta Fire closely because our trip is approaching soon. We are considering cancelling our Amtrak travel and flying up instead, because we saved a lot of Guest Rewards points for this sleeper car trip and don't want to waste them sitting on a bus for much of the trip.

I spoke with an Amtrak rep this morning who said that the latest info she had was Amtrak is busing Coast Starlight passengers between Sacramento and Klamath Falls. When I asked whether Amtrak is going to post anything on the Service Alerts page (https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices#) she said she was't sure and said the best way to get updates was to call Amtrak. The Amtrak rep said if they are still running buses, we should be able to get a refund on our travel (get our points back) anytime up to the day of our trip.

I thought I'd post here to see if you have any thoughts. In particular I'm wondering:

• Is there a better way to find out the status of the Coast Starlight and when they may start running trains north of SAC?
  • Does the Amtrak rep's statement about getting a refund right up to the time of our trip sound correct?
We'd like to travel on Amtrak if possible, but are getting anxious given the spotty information on the fire, bus detour, and when things may return to normal.

Thanks!

MVAmtrakFan

Hi, Folks --

My wife and I have a sleeper/bedroom reserved on the Coast Starlight from San Jose to Tacoma, leaving next Friday 9/21 and returning Saturday 9/29.

We have been following the Delta Fire closely because our trip is approaching soon. We are considering cancelling our Amtrak travel and flying up instead, because we saved a lot of Guest Rewards points for this sleeper car trip and don't want to waste them sitting on a bus for much of the trip.

I spoke with an Amtrak rep this morning who said that the latest info she had was Amtrak is busing Coast Starlight passengers between Sacramento and Klamath Falls. When I asked whether Amtrak is going to post anything on the Service Alerts page (https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices#) she said she was't sure and said the best way to get updates was to call Amtrak. The Amtrak rep said if they are still running buses, we should be able to get a refund on our travel (get our points back) anytime up to the day of our trip.

I thought I'd post here to see if you have any thoughts. In particular I'm wondering:

• Is there a better way to find out the status of the Coast Starlight and when they may start running trains north of SAC?
  • Does the Amtrak rep's statement about getting a refund right up to the time of our trip sound correct?
We'd like to travel on Amtrak if possible, but are getting anxious given the spotty information on the fire, bus detour, and when things may return to normal.

Thanks!

MVAmtrakFan
As your trip is a week and a half away, unless things really go to "H", you should be fine. Yes, things can happen but, in that amount of time I've gotta think the Delta Fire should be less of a threat.

Keep following the fire reports though.

Hi, Folks --

Thanks!

MVAmtrakFan
I wouldn't cancel until that is made official. If or when it is confirmed, call Amtrak and make sure you get at least a full refund. If customer service gives you a hard time about it, talk to Customer Relations, who are usually very good about fairly compensating passengers. Good luck!

Check this site out:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

You can drill down and see the perimeter, and click through to get to the US Forest Service update. For example:

Yesterday crews continued to aggressively fight the Delta Fire. Growth occurred primarily in the evening and overnight in the northeast/southeast areas of the fire. Activity on the northwestern edge slowed as the fire reached rocky terrain and limited fuels.

In the north, firefighters continued efforts to minimize impacts to Interstate 5 with burning operations south of Hazel Creek Road and in the Sims Flat area. Work on dozer lines along Middle Ridge progressed to strengthen this contigency line for the northern edge of the fire.

On the southern edges, ground and aerial operations were successful in stopping the forward progress of the fire in the Fenders Ferry and Dog Creek areas. Firefighters completed structure protection by directing fire around structures in the Dog Creek Area. Crews continued efforts building firelines directly on the fires edge as well as further south in the southwest area near Damnation Peak.

The wind is expected to affect the fire area today and tomorrow. A red flag warning is in effect from 1 p.m. today to 8 a.m. on Wednesday for shifting and stronger winds. Gusts could reach up to 25 miles per hour. Fire activity is likely to increase, with winds descending below ridge tops. Crews will pay close attention to drainages on the southeast and southern areas of the fire. Topographic features and terrain in these areas could lead to growth in the south/southeast directions.

Today, firefighters will focus on primary control lines and structure defense at the north and south edges below Hazel Creek and Sims Flat and above Dog Creek and Fenders Ferry Roads. Crews are continuing to work on contingency lines in both areas. These lines provide alternatives in case stronger, shifting increase fire activity.

Aircraft will continue to work primarily on the western edge of the fire to strength control lines and limit growth toward the Trinity Lake area. Hand crews are also working to improve direct lines and completing contingency lines in this area.

Road Closures/Openings:

Interstate 5 between Redding and Mt. Shasta is open. Travel is reduced to one lane in each direction for approximately seventeen miles. Motorists are asked to drive with caution, obey all traffic control operations and be patient. Lengthy delay. Flammable vehicles are not allowed.
If you watch the trends over the next few days, you'll get a feel for how it's going. I doubt the info Amtrak is getting is much better.

Much cooler and moister air is approaching all of Northern California Wed and Thurs, so look for major improvements in containment of the Delta Fire in the next 5 days.

Thanks for the helpful info and positive thoughts, everyone. Right now my wife and I are still planning to travel on Amtrak... just monitoring the situation closely and keeping our fingers crossed!

Back