Coast Starlight discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a 'crew delay'? Something to do with the crew timing out?
Amtrak Alerts said:
As of 8:55 am PT, Coast Starlight Train 14 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 8/22 is currently experiencing a delay in Klamath Falls (KFS) due to unforeseen crew delays. Updates to follow as more information becomes available.

What is a 'crew delay'? Something to do with the crew timing out?
Amtrak Alerts said:
As of 8:55 am PT, Coast Starlight Train 14 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 8/22 is currently experiencing a delay in Klamath Falls (KFS) due to unforeseen crew delays. Updates to follow as more information becomes available.
I was delayed in Klamath Falls once because the boarding engineer had not had his entire required rest period.

I will be traveling Coast Starlight 11 from SEA to LAX the first week of October. They have me in car 1131, but in room 19. Just to confirm what I suspected...does this mean it is in a transdorm even though it's not car 1140 and also that my roomette will be on the side without ocean views?

I will be traveling Coast Starlight 11 from SEA to LAX the first week of October. They have me in car 1131, but in room 19. Just to confirm what I suspected...does this mean it is in a transdorm even though it's not car 1140 and also that my roomette will be on the side without ocean views?
Call and ask for an even number room in transdorm for oceanside southbound.

Yes, in recent years they haven’t, however they have been running one again for the past month or so.
I was on Starlight leaving Los Angeles Tuesday and Arriving Seattle on Wednesday - there was a transition sleeper.

Problem with not having the crew car is that crew uses roomettes in the sleepers, limiting space to sell.

Train was sold out and Amtrak could have used more coaches and sleepers. I did not walk the train until north of Eugene and found the coaches packed. That must have been uncomfortable for long travel.

I got a schedule change notification for an upcoming trip on the Starlight. However, the departure time from SEA and arrival in LAX are exactly the same as before. Is it possible that perhaps the schedule is different for some of the intermediate stops?

Hi,
I am thinking about doing a Christmas trip from San Jose to Portland. One of my main goals is to share with my 5-year-old the train experience and snow - she hasn't seen snow.

Questions:
1. What are the chances of us seeing the snow on our way?
2. How long should I expect the delays?
3. What other things should I keep in mind and be prepared for?

A potentially great idea. I know I would have loved to do this trip as a 5 year old and still today :)!! What a lucky child and wonderful parent!!!

In response to your questions,
1. Not 100% sure as I am not from that area, but I have ridden the route at least 3 times. But be aware if on time most of the Cascades will pass in the dark-- indeed most of your trip will be in the dark according the current schedule (which is the summer schedule) The Cascades will be the area you are most likely to see snow. Indeed, From what I know about the area and the weather, the only section you are likely to see snow is between around Dunsmuir CA and Chemault Or, which corresponds to between 4.58 am and 8.59am (Website for timetable is chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.railpassengers.org/site/assets/files/20928/coast-starlight.pdf) Remember that you are going when daylight is near its shortest.

2. Delays could be anywhere from none to hours. The times I took the train there was between less than hour delay to four or 5 hours. If long delays, you are more likely to see the best scenery at a civilized hour (the Cascades) and thus snow.

3. You probably know this, but you definitely want to have plenty activities and snacks you know your 5 year old likes as well as healthy snacks. The snacks available on Amtrak are generally not very healthy For details check out the Amtrak website.

Finally, I am concerned that this might not be the best way to show you child snow for the first time. While it will be extremely cool for the minutes they first see snow and from a train, will they stay engaged enough for a pretty long trip? and the length has the potential for great variability. You of course know best.

Also how well will your child do sleeping in a new environment that is moving? Will this be different in a sleeper and a coach seat? Being in a sleeper if you never have been is pretty amazing but how well does your child calm down?

Last edited by a moderator:
A potentially great idea. I know I would have loved to do this trip as a 5 year old and still today :)!! What a lucky child and wonderful parent!!!

In response to your questions,
1. Not 100% sure as I am not from that area, but I have ridden the route at least 3 times. But be aware if on time most of the Cascades will pass in the dark-- indeed most of your trip will be in the dark according the current schedule (which is the summer schedule) The Cascades will be the area you are most likely to see snow. Indeed, From what I know about the area and the weather, the only section you are likely to see snow is between around Dunsmuir CA and Chemault Or, which corresponds to between 4.58 am and 8.59am (Website for timetable is chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.railpassengers.org/site/assets/files/20928/coast-starlight.pdf) Remember that you are going when daylight is near its shortest.

2. Delays could be anywhere from none to hours. The times I took the train there was between less than hour delay to four or 5 hours. If long delays, you are more likely to see the best scenery at a civilized hour (the Cascades) and thus snow.

3. You probably know this, but you definitely want to have plenty activities and snacks you know your 5 year old likes as well as healthy snacks. The snacks available on Amtrak are generally not very healthy For details check out the Amtrak website.

Finally, I am concerned that this might not be the best way to show you child snow for the first time. While it will be extremely cool for the minutes they first see snow and from a train, will they stay engaged enough for a pretty long trip? and the length has the potential for great variability. You of course know best.

Also how well will your child do sleeping in a new environment that is moving? Will this be different in a sleeper and a coach seat? Being in a sleeper if you never have been is pretty amazing but how well does your child calm down?

Hi,
I am thinking about doing a Christmas trip from San Jose to Portland. One of my main goals is to share with my 5-year-old the train experience and snow - she hasn't seen snow.

Questions:
Going north, you’ll go thru the Klamath Falls-Eugene section of mountains during the day. In the winter, there is typically snow up there. At least there was last Jan. when I rode #14. The part by mount shasta will be passed in darkness unless the train is late.

Hi,

Questions:
November 24, 2011 in the Cascades on Train 14.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 103.jpg

Riding above the clouds in the Cascades.
2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 108.jpg

Be ready for rain in Portland.
2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 118.jpg

I am thinking about doing a Christmas trip from San Jose to Portland.
Very good going through the Cascades between Klamath Falls and Eugene
San Jose's arrival time is on the cusp for getting dinner on the train. If the train is on time, they'll usually send me straight to the diner for dinner. If the train is late, the diner will be closed. To be safe, it might be good to get dinner before boarding, but if you're willing to risk it, it's fun to have dinner while rolling across SF Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back