Coast Starlight "hijacked" by Drunk Man

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Last edited by a moderator:
Not aware how things work in driving the train:  so this guy jumps on and sounds the horn, and crew is afraid for their safety and don't approach him:

Question, if he could control the horn, could he control the train? operate it somehow? stop it? The latter seems like it was his intention.

Should the crew have intervened?

Not aware how things work in driving the train:  so this guy jumps on and sounds the horn, and crew is afraid for their safety and don't approach him:

Question, if he could control the horn, could he control the train? operate it somehow? stop it? The latter seems like it was his intention.

Should the crew have intervened?
If he was in the lead unit, then he could do anything the engineer can do including stopping or operating the train. It sounds like he was in the trailing unit, however, as all he could do was sound its horn and attempt to dump the air. And the crew was described as not wanting to approach him fearing for their safety, which would have been difficult for the engineer to do in the same cramped locomotive cab as the guy. I don’t think the crew did anything wrong, as the worst the guy could do is stop the train which they probably were going to do anyway to allow law enforcement access.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think the crew did anything wrong, as the worst the guy could do is stop the train which they probably were going to do anyway to allow law enforcement access.
They'll probably wonder aloud as to why the engine door wasn't locked...not that I would necessarily want to the door locked on the lead unit.

Back