Coast Starlight in Biz Class PDX-EMY questions:

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinflies

Service Attendant
I arrive off the EB then connect to CS to get to SFO for a flight. Has anyone done ride in this car? I'm doing this overnight next week. I ride Amfleet I Biz Class often enough and i feel comfortable doing this type of seat on an overnight. I assume business class is basically a slightly modified coach car (see review below). However, could Amtrak theoretically sell it out like a coach car (every seat taken)? Or is the amount of pax computer limited (ex, everyone gets 1 row)? Do I have to worry about someone sitting next to me in the middle of the night is what I'm basically concerned about and could i potentially commandeer the row to sleep on the overnight?

I found a review on TripAdvisor. So far this is the most honest review I could find. Any other deviations, please advise!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28926-d219566-r411146459-Coast_Starlight-California.html

If I find a price drop on a Roomette, i'll try to upgrade, but for now, this is going to be the adventure.

I rode about 5 weeks ago Business Class PDX to SLO. I did have the row of seats to myself, but I doubt that is guaranteed. I had a comfortable night and a pleasant ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

it's probably still worth the upgrade just because there's less of a chance of sitting next to a crying baby at 3am. but it's pretty much just a normal superliner coach car with slightly nicer seats. it's not 2x1 seating.

Seat-wise it is a regular coach. But both times I have ridden it on the CS the occupancy was less than 50%, so no passenger traveling alone was obliged to share a seat with another person.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

That review on Trip Advisor was a real scream. Good gracious, may have to sit next to a <gasp!> stranger - perhaps even in the diner! Oh, horrors. What is this world coming to?
default_tongue.png

That review on Trip Advisor was a real scream. Good gracious, may have to sit next to a <gasp!> stranger - perhaps even in the diner! Oh, horrors. What is this world coming to?
default_tongue.png
Yeah, and why does she call herself LuckyLulu88? I have an image of an entitled Millennial born in 1988. Any other thoughts?

To sum up, while possible, it is not probable that you will have a seatmate. You probably will be able to flop out onto both seats -- but it's certainly not guaranteed.

Being guaranteed two seats to yourself is the only reason I would upgrade to BC on the CS Obviously that is not guaranteed, but the chances of being by yourself is better than in regular Coach. If having two seats to yourself was guaranteed, I would do it in a heartbeat. Another great perk is use of the Metropolitan Lounge in LA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Thanks for all the advice. In the end, the roomette came down in pricing and I booked car 30 after negotiating 3 room changes with the agents on the phone. While awaiting departure, I found the McCormick Pier Deli and Grocery below Union Station in the Yards apartments, near the river, and took advantage of bringing on-board my own private stock, which was then consumed in my roomette, so I did skip the wine tasting, but had dinner and breakfast in the parlour car.

The train was 2 engines, baggage car, transdorm, sleeper 31, sleeper 30, parlour car columbia valley, diner, biz class, lounge, and i think, two coaches.

I did walk the train and as observed, business class is a 'modified' coach car. It was between the diner and the sightseer lounge car and was relatively quiet. Upper level of business class had a consistent 15-20 people during the pdx south run toward Eugene. I did not go to the lower level. I did not check in the morning how many people where on board toward SAC/EMY.

There was a $140 difference between the biz class ticket and the roomette. I think with the value of the parlour car and ability to drink in one's room coupled with the ability to find a grocery store near the station made me satisfied on doing the upgrade.

Back