Coast Starlight - location in the consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S Unger

Train Attendant
Can someone tell me where our location will be given this information:
Train 14 leaving ****.

Superliner Roomette | Car 1431 - Room 014

Will we be in the middle or end?

Thanks

MODERATOR NOTE: Edited for privacy

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be downstairs. Second room from the vestibule, so close to middle. Everything downstairs is more or less in the middle since downstairs is in the Superliner sowbelly between the trucks.

31 car is one car away from the diner.

Where will they put my parents and I’s luggage? We each have one “big-butt” suitcase 🧳.

If you check it, it will go into the combination coach-baggage car. If you carry it on, there's a baggage rack on the lower level of the sleeper.

We will check it. I’m carrying onboard a small roller and my camera case. I gave my parents a duffel bag for their clothes.

I know Viewliners have storage space above the corridor for carryon luggage. Not sure if the Superliners do or not..

We will check it. I’m carrying onboard a small roller and my camera case. I gave my parents a duffel bag for their clothes.

I know Viewliners have storage space above the corridor for carryon luggage. Not sure if the Superliners do or not..
There is no similar dedicated storage space in Superliner rooms. What Superliners have is a large, common luggage storage area downstairs across from the stairs.

Reactions: Cal
As I said in another forum, today’s No. 11 Starlight only has 7 cars.

2 sleepers
1 diner
1 business class
1 SSL
1 coach
1 coach/baggage

No transdorm or baggage car.

Despite this, the SSL is pretty busy. While passing thru Business, many passengers were going to Portland or other intermediate stops. I’m sure seats will fill up and empty out as we progress towards Los Angeles. Only a handful of people boarded the sleepers in Seattle.

A hotbox detector indicates we have 36 axles—which amounts to 9 pieces of rolling stock since Amtrak engines and cars each have 4 axles.

Well, if you are downstairs, you will be very near the luggage rack... I believe the drawing below shows the roomette number and luggage storage clearly (credit Craig Mashburn I believe)

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 21
As I said in another forum, today’s No. 11 Starlight only has 7 cars.

2 sleepers
1 diner
1 business class
1 SSL
1 coach
1 coach/baggage

No transdorm or baggage car.

Despite this, the SSL is pretty busy. While passing thru Business, many passengers were going to Portland or other intermediate stops. I’m sure seats will fill up and empty out as we progress towards Los Angeles. Only a handful of people boarded the sleepers in Seattle.

A hotbox detector indicates we have 36 axles—which amounts to 9 pieces of rolling stock since Amtrak engines and cars each have 4 axles.
Very different than the 11 car Starlight we saw a few years back with the Parlour car...

If anyone knows ( I bet mr. Zephyr does) I am also wondering about where in the consist my rooms will be. It’s about two weeks from departure so I suspect the consist for each of my segements are set.
Empire: car 730 Rooms A and B chi to sea
Coast : car 1130 Rooms C and D sea to emy
Zephyr : car 632 A and D emy to glenwood
Zephyr: car 632 7 and 8 Glenwood to chi. The last segment is in roomettes as car 630 has been removed on zephyr but no explanation why. How does the location of the car in the consist impact ride? Engine noise? Horn noise? What might I expect.
Thanks in advance!

730 is the rear-most sleeper on the Seattle section, closest to the diner.
1130 is the rear-most sleeper, closest to the diner.
Zephyr: car 632 7 and 8 Glenwood to chi.
632 should be the forwardmost sleeper. not sure though.

How does the location of the car in the consist impact ride? Engine noise? Horn noise? What might I expect.
Overall the ride doesn't vary much. But if you're closer to the engine, the horn noise will be louder. The Zephyr and Builder still have a transdorm and a baggage car, so the horn noise shouldn't bother you that much. On the Starlight, it will probably be a bit louder, but as you're in the rear-most sleeper it should be just fine.

If anyone knows ( I bet mr. Zephyr does) I am also wondering about where in the consist my rooms will be. It’s about two weeks from departure so I suspect the consist for each of my segements are set.
Zephyr: car 7 and 8
730 is the rear-most sleeper on the Seattle section, closest to the diner.

1130 is the rear-most sleeper, closest to the diner.

632 should be the forwardmost sleeper. not sure though.

Overall the ride doesn't vary much. But if you're closer to the engine, the horn noise will be louder. The Zephyr and Builder still have a transdorm and a baggage car, so the horn noise shouldn't bother you that much. On the Starlight, it will probably be a bit louder, but as you're in the rear-most sleeper it should be just fine.
Kudos to Cal! Great answer, love the forecast and insight. Thanks.

Zephyr: car 7 and 8

Kudos to Cal! Great answer, love the forecast and insight. Thanks.
It’s probably too late in the game, but if you are interested in this you can call and at least ask. Rooms D and E and rooms B and C have a door between them. If you can get moved to those rooms, you can then ask for the door to be unlocked and you’ll have a “bedroom suite” where you and your trip mates can slide the door open and all hang out together in the two rooms.

A couple of items I always bring are a couple of rubber door stops (easily bought at Home Depot or Lowes and are cheap), these work great for any annoying rattles, and lots of earplugs. Try to find nice soft earplugs as they are very nice to wear at night to reduce the noise and help get some more sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back