Coast Starlight Service Disruption (14/22)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Rough night for those traveling on and/or waiting for #14(22).

No official word on a reason why, but a wildfire just south of Soledad is impacting the Coast Line since yesterday evening. Currently, passengers aboard #14 will be getting the daylight Shasta treatment, as it is currently more than 6 hours behind schedule. It just left Chico about an hour ago.

#11(22) is on-time right now, but I would wager it will suffer a (potentially substantial) delay once it gets near Soledad as well. Same goes for #14(23).

Fire season is upon us here in the West!

Actually, it looks like a double-trouble situation in this case. Combine wildfire with trespasser incident. 14/22 also encountered a trespasser in Soledad, but not before being delayed by the Metz Fire south of the town.

My family and I were scheduled to board 14(22) in Emeryville and connect to 28/8 over to Chicago. As soon as I saw that 14 was stopped between stations, I saw the cause over on T.O.

I realized that the delay would likely result in the dreaded bustitution between Kalamath Falls and Pasco. I knew that would make me a very unpopular vacation planner.

So we had a quick pow-wow and decided to bail on the 2nd half train trip. (We had done DEN-SAC on CZ followed by four days at Yosemite).

I called AGR and they refunded all the points with no penalty and we made arrangements to fly home.

Speaking of Metz/Soledad Wildfire, here is an update from KSBW:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/crews-fight-100acre-vegetation-fire-south-of-soledad/39673140

Apparantly, near a full containment according to the article.

Any word on the future CS runs (11(24 onwards) and 14(25 onwards)), and where would the CS detour to if it had to?
IF a detour were to happen, it would be traveling down the Central Valley on the same tracks as the San Joaquin trains, then over tehapi pass and onto the Ventura county metrolink line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back