Coast Starlight to Klamath Falls OR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hi there,

I have a travel credit that needs to get used and we are trying to plan a trip (sleeper) and take the CS from LA up to Oregon some place. We dont want to spend a lot of money (beyond our credit) so we can't go all the way to PDX.

I was thinking maybe Klamath Falls for a couple of nights then turn around and go back. I want to keep it cheap but would like to rent a car. Any experience with Klamath Falls? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I lived in Klamath Falls for 3 years and while there are a number of good motels and some very good restaurants, there is very little else to do during the winter. Also, beware, if it snows heavily, the street plowing is not very good and driving can get very dicey. There is a Western Type Museum(think Cowboys and Indians) that is very interesting. For Railfans, you can get pretty close to the UP/BNSF yards, but I don't know how much security has changed and if railfans are hassled in anyway per 9/11.

I have a few suggestions for you. I lived in Klamath Falls for many, many years and I can honestly tell you that there is really nothing to do there. Especially this time of year. There will most likely be snow on the ground and it will be very cold. I have a couple of trip suggestions for you. There is a Shuttle Bus that connects Klamath Falls to the Rogue Valley (Medford, Ashland) from the Kfalls Amtrak station. You may be able to book this shuttle as part of your Amtrak itinerary. Take the shuttle bus to the Medford Airport (I believe it stops there) There you can rent a car. Two towns of interest in the area are Ashland and Jacksonville.

Ashland is a couple miles south of Medford. A very nice little town, home of Southern Oregon University and the Southern Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Easy to spend a day or two wandering the downtown area or hiking through the beautiful Lithia Park. Hotel/Motel rooms can be pricey in Ashland, but this is the "off" season so you may be able to find a good deal. Try the Best Western, or Windmill Inn. The Best Western is located right downtown, so you could walk everywhere. If you can't find a room in your price range from either of those Motels then just get a room in Medford. Motels are plentiful there.

Jacksonville is an "old west" town with a very nice historic downtown area with shops, parks and restaurants. You could easily spend a day sauntering through the little downtown area.

The Medford/Ashland/Jacksonville area is about 2 hours from the Oregon coast. There are several ways to get to the coast from I-5. Highway 199 does go through the Redwoods, but that highway is quite dangerous, especially this time of year and is frequently closed due to mudslides. So I would avoid it. Instead I would take Highway 42 into Bandon. A very nice little town on the Oregon Coast.

The Climate in the Rogue Valley is much milder than that of Klamath Falls. There might be snow on the surrounding mountains but there will be none on the valley floor. It will be chilly here but not as bad as it is in Kfalls.

The other option you have is to take the Coast Starlight to Eugene. Eugene is a nice college town, about an hour and a half from the coast and two hours from Portland. If you were to rent a car, Eugene to Portland is very easy via I-5. From I-5 the 405 goes into downtown Portland. There are a lot of things you could do there as a day trip. One of which is spend HOURS in Powell books downtown on Burnside. An entire city block of new and used books. A lot of small shops and restaurants in that area as well.

I hope this helps. I can give you more detailed information if you'd like. But I would seriously consider one of the two options I gave you as opposed to Kfalls. Good Luck!!

I have a few suggestions for you. I lived in Klamath Falls for many, many years and I can honestly tell you that there is really nothing to do there. Especially this time of year. There will most likely be snow on the ground and it will be very cold. I have a couple of trip suggestions for you. There is a Shuttle Bus that connects Klamath Falls to the Rogue Valley (Medford, Ashland) from the Kfalls Amtrak station. You may be able to book this shuttle as part of your Amtrak itinerary. Take the shuttle bus to the Medford Airport (I believe it stops there) There you can rent a car. Two towns of interest in the area are Ashland and Jacksonville.
Ashland is a couple miles south of Medford. A very nice little town, home of Southern Oregon University and the Southern Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Easy to spend a day or two wandering the downtown area or hiking through the beautiful Lithia Park. Hotel/Motel rooms can be pricey in Ashland, but this is the "off" season so you may be able to find a good deal. Try the Best Western, or Windmill Inn. The Best Western is located right downtown, so you could walk everywhere. If you can't find a room in your price range from either of those Motels then just get a room in Medford. Motels are plentiful there.

Jacksonville is an "old west" town with a very nice historic downtown area with shops, parks and restaurants. You could easily spend a day sauntering through the little downtown area.

The Medford/Ashland/Jacksonville area is about 2 hours from the Oregon coast. There are several ways to get to the coast from I-5. Highway 199 does go through the Redwoods, but that highway is quite dangerous, especially this time of year and is frequently closed due to mudslides. So I would avoid it. Instead I would take Highway 42 into Bandon. A very nice little town on the Oregon Coast.

The Climate in the Rogue Valley is much milder than that of Klamath Falls. There might be snow on the surrounding mountains but there will be none on the valley floor. It will be chilly here but not as bad as it is in Kfalls.

The other option you have is to take the Coast Starlight to Eugene. Eugene is a nice college town, about an hour and a half from the coast and two hours from Portland. If you were to rent a car, Eugene to Portland is very easy via I-5. From I-5 the 405 goes into downtown Portland. There are a lot of things you could do there as a day trip. One of which is spend HOURS in Powell books downtown on Burnside. An entire city block of new and used books. A lot of small shops and restaurants in that area as well.

I hope this helps. I can give you more detailed information if you'd like. But I would seriously consider one of the two options I gave you as opposed to Kfalls. Good Luck!!

Thank you so much for the detailed reply - we are going in April (during spring break) not sure how the weather will be then but hopefully not a ton of snow!!

I did a trip to Klamath Falls a couple years ago. I was born there but left as an infant so I had always wanted to see it other than photos my parents had.

Took the Empire Builder to PDX and rented a car to drive to Klamath Falls. I had planned for 4 days in KF. Was pretty disapointed. Other than the wonderful Pacific Northwest scenery it was pretty much dumpy. reminded me of upstate New York with all the closed businesses and run down infrastructure.

Did Crater Lake on the second day and then immediately moved on to the coast. Found a wonderful motel in Lincoln City and spent the rest of my time in that area before driving back to Portland where I spent the last full day before returning to Michigan.

I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm in a similar position to the OP. We also have a credit to use up, and were thinking of taking the CS from LAX up to Oregon. We'd like to see the Oregon Caves National Monument and Crater Lake - and if we have time, maybe head up to Washington to see Mt. Rainier. So, I have two questions:

1) We'll need to rent a car to get to the two parks in Oregon. Does either Klamath Falls or Chemult have easy access to a rental car company?

2) I know that the CS is notoriously late. If we decide to head to Washington, I'd prefer to hop back on the CS in central Oregon, & get off in Tacoma or another Washington stop & drive to Mt. Rainier from there. It looks like about a 6 hour drive from mid-Oregon to Mt. Rainier. Although I'd prefer to take the train, I'm thinking it might be easier to just drive up there- any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back