Coffee, tea or cola in sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm packing a SuperDanny® surge protecter with 4 AC outlets and 4 USB ports, so I can plug in my iPhone®, iPad®, Samsung A50® , Pokemon® Go-Tcha® and Go-Tcha Evolve® auto-catch devices, Nikon® Coolpix® L820 camera and my Koolatron® electric-powered soft-sided cooler, which I'll fill with Go Girl® energy drinks (coffee sux!) and La Croix® tangerine water.

Bash,
currently attending Trademarkapalooza® :)
Where are you going to sleep😁😁

I'm packing a SuperDanny® surge protecter with 4 AC outlets and 4 USB ports, so I can plug in my ... devices...and my Koolatron® electric-powered soft-sided cooler...
Sounds like the same devices we carry. The SuperDanny serves as extension cord, power distro, supplanting wall warts and very handy.

All these people advocating for the installation of Keurig machines need to stick to trains and stay away from coffee 😝

I guess you don't like the product of a single serve brewer. I've only had experience with the old Norelco units and the Keurigs. May not make the ultimate official never to be surpassed officially recognized by coffee snobs worldwide cup of joe, but it suits me.

I can't see the attendant faffing with a French Press or a multi handled espresso machine. And pouring a hot beverage from a Silex (or Cory or Bunn etc.) carafe in a moving, sometimes wildly gyrating railroad car would not be my favorite task.

I'm glad the D-E concentrate machines are gone. D-E makes some fine products, but the concentrate system isn't a fine product.

Stay away from coffee? Heaven forfend! Bad enough I gave up cigars, but coffee? No way!

In my view Keurig coffee deserves just as much ridicule as burnt Starbucks, powdered Nescafe, and Douwe Egberts syrup receive. I tried several different brands of K-Cups before passing judgement and they all tasted bad, including brands I knew well. I wanted to make my own K-Cups but when I tried to do this there were none available with the new lockout chip that Keurig machines employed to prevent owners from attempting to use unauthorized refills. I think they eventually started making them available again but by then I was done with Keurigged nonsense.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...es-taste-gross-2016-3#violation-1-the-grind-1
They don't offend me either - it just seems that those of us who don't drink coffee are dismissed because no one seems to make a fuss that hot chocolate is not offered ... they only seem to be worried about coffee.
Coffee has decades of routine availability behind it while hot chocolate has zero days.

All these people advocating for the installation of Keurig machines need to stick to trains and stay away from coffee 😝
Agreed.

I guess you don't like the product of a single serve brewer...
I'm not against the product of single serve brewers per se, I think a nespresso machine makes a perfectly good cup (though cost and environmental factors are still an issue). I just think Keurigs make terrible coffee and aren't worth the costs.

There are some excellent multi choice bean to brew single cup offerings hitting the market, from many of the major players, in the permanently attached category. That may be a direction worth exploring, it solves the pilferage and waste problems, and offers more variety, since coffee tastes are so subjective. clean hw also.

Wow! I can't think of a more fitting end, although I would prefer its happening outside the car...

I hadn't noticed, quite frankly, since I bring my own. Don't know what they are using nowadays.
On the Amfleet 1 cafe cars, where they serve Dunkin Donuts coffee, they appear to have a drip machine and the prepared coffee is held in a stainless steel vacuum carafe. I was once served a cup one late afternoon that had been sitting in the carafe a bit too long. While it wasn't hot enough, at least it wasn't bitter, cooked-down sludge. Anyway I wasn't complaining, because it was a "free" business class cup.

to those protesting about the dearth of hot chocolate, tea, or other drinks on AMTRAK, you're members of a large club. For years I protested the lack of Coca Cola products rather than that Pepsi bellywash. No Cream Soda, no Celery tonic, no San Pelligrino, ad nauseam. Now we have Coca Cola aboard, and Pepsi fans are gathering pitch torches and hay forks.

I guess the same could be said about falafel, chicken paprikash, chop suey, lutefisk, gefiltefish, proper chili (No Beans, please), sauerkraut, and perhaps whale blubber.

In the past, AMTRAK did a pretty good job of supplying popular fast foods as well as diner entrees. AMTRAK is not set up to be a specialty kitchen addressing the great numbers of food preferences, popularity was a big factor, along with ease of prep and serving.

I would love to see the food service return to Heritage diners, white jackets, linen and silverware, but like my Grandfather who dies in 1975, he isn't coming back either.

However, returning to civilized dining, table service, entree selection and a well stocked snack bar like we had just a couple of years ago is doable and very much needed.

The big coffee urn in the sleepers was OK in the mornings, and although good for a short time, it got really bad as the day went on. It was a pain to clean and refresh, and did waste a log of coffee.

Individual freshly "brewed" portions of everything from coffee to chocolate to hot tea even iced tea are available with several types of machines. Even Starbucks' burned coffee is available in cups and pods.
No, these machine brewers' product may bruise the taste buds of the true <insert beverage here> snob, they taste pretty good when it's the only thing available. I read the diatribe agains pod coffee in an earlier posting. Sure, freshly ground beans immediately brewed "in the proper manner" - what is that? - are better. But then restaurants grinding bans and immediately brewing coffee are few and far between. We are talking about mass production here, not gourmet dining.

So if you can't get through the day without your Oolong or chai or Frappucino - whatever, it's pretty easy to make your own with just a little preparation.

As a matter of fact, we take our favorite coffees to the local TexMex restaurant who runs them through the machine for us. And doesn't give us a bunch of equine scatology about "FDA" regulations. Would be nice if they would nuke something for you - even for a nominal charge. They won't even warm a baby's bottle.

"Flex Dining", my baby pink butt. Even a Stauffers or Swanson's nuked TV dinner would be an upgrade.

Last edited:
I would love to see the food service return to Heritage diners, white jackets, linen and silverware, but like my Grandfather who dies in 1975, he isn't coming back either.
Well linen and silverware, along with glassware is coming back.

I am so glad they have brought back real food on the LD trains. And I'm glad they kept the baked potato for dinner.

Last edited:
I am so glad they have brought back real food on the LD trains. And I'm glad they kept the baked potato for dinner.
Only the Western trains with the exception of the CONO and TE. New menus look great. The difference in flex and traditional dining is like night and day.

Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than people who complain of Starbucks tasting "burnt". Sorry you don't recognize the taste of coffee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My bro-in-law is a trained chef, and has a coffee roasting business in WA (where they LOVE their coffee). He makes the best coffee I have ever tasted. HE says that Starbucks helps make their coffee flavor uniform and predictably theirs by over-roasting it just enough for that characteristic slightly "toasty" flavor. So, yes, burnt (just a little) if you want to put it that way. I am not a coffee snob, so if I can't get really GOOD coffee, Starbucks will do.

There are a number of small private coffee roasters around ... there is one in particular in Jacksonville - maybe you have heard of it
1623097870246.png

When they are roasting - it always smells like they are burning coffee

If they bring Amtrak back to downtown this plant is only a few blocks from the area the train would come to - and only a few blocks from the CSX corporate office. It is "next door" to TIAA Bank field where the Jacksonville Jaguars play.

In the end, I would still rather cola or hot chocolate ...

The CONO is the westernmost Eastern train.
When I think of Eastern trains leaving from Chicago,the LSL,CL and the Cardinal come to my mind. The CONO goes due South,but I guess it is considered an Eastern train. The only Western train that won't be getting traditional dining is the TE,and without a SSL car is the ******* child of Amtrak.

Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than people who complain of Starbucks tasting "burnt". Sorry you don't recognize the taste of coffee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my experience the vast majority of people who visit Starbucks drink anything but straight drip. It's usually a bunch of vanilla this, caramel that, and mint the other. As a result the flavor of the roast is barely discernible anyway. I prefer a moderate roast with a medium body and my absolute favorite is Mexican Altura.

When I think of Eastern trains leaving from Chicago, the LSL,CL and the Cardinal come to my mind. The CONO goes due South,

There is this little ditch running south out of Minnesota - maybe you have heard of it, it is called the Mississippi - it is used to define many things by "east of" and "west of" ... apparently, Amtrak looks at all the trains east of that to be "Eastern Trains"

There is this little ditch running south out of Minnesota - maybe you have heard of it, it is called the Mississippi - it is used to define many things by "east of" and "west of" ... apparently, Amtrak looks at all the trains east of that to be "Eastern Trains"
Ditch is the right word for the Mississippi. I live very close to it and I would never eat anything out of that '' stink hole ''.

Back