Coke or Pepsi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a Coke Zero girl, might have to see if I can get used to Diet Coke before my trip!

I am a Coke Zero girl, might have to see if I can get used to Diet Coke before my trip!
How does Coke Zero differ from Diet Coke?

Mexican Coke in a glass bottle! The only way to drink it. No aluminum cans, plastic bottles, added chemicals, other additives, or subtractitives. It's the real thing!
It's not unique to Mexico. Nearly every country outside of the US still makes Coke with sugar instead of corn syrup.

Now let's just get the Maple Leaf back! Hopefully later this summer.
Damn right. 👍

Last edited:
How does Coke Zero differ from Diet Coke?
"The most important difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero Sugar is the taste. Coke Zero is meant to taste like regular Coke, while Diet Coke has its own distinctive flavor. Coke Zero looks and tastes like Coca-Cola classic, but Diet Coke has a lighter taste than the original. "

according to Google.

"The most important difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero Sugar is the taste. Coke Zero is meant to taste like regular Coke, while Diet Coke has its own distinctive flavor. Coke Zero looks and tastes like Coca-Cola classic, but Diet Coke has a lighter taste than the original. "

according to Google.
Hi Cal, I find that Coke Zero tastes more like regular Coke. I havn't cared for the diet Coke in the past but might try to get used to it for my next trip.

I was scrolling down through these post and thinking nobody could possibly mention cream soda, or black cherry soda. And lo and behold, A couple of choices from back in the day, that always sounded good. But I Never got any satisfaction from.
Those of us from Philadelphia might remember Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. (No longer sold.) Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic has gone downhill, even over the last 15 years. They've toned down the celery seed flavor too much, and now it tastes like a weak ginger ale with some faint notes of celery seed. But it's what one should have to wash down a nice big fat fatty pastrami sandwich. But I guess they'll never sell pastrami sandwiches on rye on Amtrak.

I can actually sort of enjoy Coke Zero, it tastes kind of like regular Coke. Not exactly but you can at least tell it is trying to be Coke.

I can't classify how Diet Coke tastes to me. Definitely not like Coke. I find it like drinking some weird, unpalatable chemical concoction that bears no resemblance to food. I know some people like it, but I will never understand how people get used to it.

When I drink a carbonated beverage, it usually consists of 2/3 Diet Pepsi and 1/3 double-strength Crystal Light Lemonade. It reminds me of Pepsi Light, which was sold in the 70s. Pepsi's flavor profile is citrus to begin with, and the lemonade just kicks it up a notch, plus it dilutes some of the carbonation.

I recently gave Zero Sugar Dr. Pepper a try and was surprised at how flavorful it was. Looks to be a worthy back-up drink.

I started drinking Tab when it first was introduced and "loved" it. Then I transitioned to Diet Coke. Although I preferred Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi, I would drink Diet Pepsi on Amtrak. I do not drink coffee and would order a Diet Pepsi with my breakfast.

After years of my health conscious friends telling me that artificial sweeteners are "poison," I finally listened. I then transitioned to Zevia which is sweetened with (natural) Stevia. At one time, I could only find Zevia on line or at Whole Foods. I recall missing a ride during the first Gathering I attended so I could go to Whole Foods to purchase Zevia. I am pleased that I have not consumed any soft drinks (diet or otherwise) for at least 5 years. I drink unsweet tea (either green or black).

I tried Coke Zero a few times but it did not taste like regular Coke to me. I've never understood the diet soda craze. They taste worse, are still bad for you, and offer no savings compared to regular. Must be the marketing. 🤔

Those of us from Philadelphia might remember Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. (No longer sold.) Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic has gone downhill, even over the last 15 years. They've toned down the celery seed flavor too much, and now it tastes like a weak ginger ale with some faint notes of celery seed. But it's what one should have to wash down a nice big fat fatty pastrami sandwich. But I guess they'll never sell pastrami sandwiches on rye on Amtrak.
Pastrami on rye....about 20 years ago...didn't sell real well

I tried Coke Zero a few times but it did not taste like regular Coke to me. I've never understood the diet soda craze. They taste worse, are still bad for you, and offer no savings compared to regular. Must be the marketing. 🤔
It doesn't, but it is closer and tastes better than Diet Coke, which I really cannot stand. I can tolerate Coke Zero. I don't drink much in the way of diet sodas, either.

Me_Little_Me's comment about water being full of germs reminds me of the remark attributed to the bibulous W.C. Fields: "Water? Indeed not! Fish * * * * in it!"

Mexican Coke in a glass bottle! The only way to drink it. No aluminum cans, plastic bottles, added chemicals, other additives, or subtractitives. It's the real thing!
You are absolute correct. It’s amazing, actually brings back the old days. During my college days I worked summers at a 7 UP bottling company and at times helped with the mixing which involved toting and holding 200 pound bags of sugar while the “Mixer” controlled the flow of it into the mixing tank. It took a special skill to get in right so the sugar properly dissolved. If you didn’t get it right the mix went “wild” when the co2 hit it during bottling.

I can only get the Mexican coke in 1/2 liter bottles at a small local Mexican restaurant & bakery.

You are absolute correct. It’s amazing, actually brings back the old days. During my college days I worked summers at a 7 UP bottling company and at times helped with the mixing which involved toting and holding 200 pound bags of sugar while the “Mixer” controlled the flow of it into the mixing tank. It took a special skill to get in right so the sugar properly dissolved. If you didn’t get it right the mix went “wild” when the co2 hit it during bottling.

I can only get the Mexican coke in 1/2 liter bottles at a small local Mexican restaurant & bakery.
100 pound bags not 200! Clumsy fingers!

Our local Sam's Club carries it in 12 oz. glass bottles, case of 24.
You'll need a 'church key' to open the bottles.

Maybe a difference in the sugar or corn syrup used -
And then the Diet drinks with their chemical artificial molecular imitation (FAUX) sugar content perhaps cancer causing ?

Delta Air Lines has Coca Cola a marriage of two Georgia companies.
Norwegian Cruise Line - all Pepsi
Amtrak - glad to hear it is Coke

But talk to anyone serving the Diet Coke - caution about the explosive fizz when opening -
Is told that flight attendants take twice as long to serve it waiting for the fizz to fizz out
Not user friendly in that respect

Wonder do things still go better with Coke - the Real Thing ?

Maybe a difference in the sugar or corn syrup used -
And then the Diet drinks with their chemical artificial molecular imitation (FAUX) sugar content perhaps cancer causing ?

Delta Air Lines has Coca Cola a marriage of two Georgia companies.
Norwegian Cruise Line - all Pepsi
Amtrak - glad to hear it is Coke

But talk to anyone serving the Diet Coke - caution about the explosive fizz when opening -
Is told that flight attendants take twice as long to serve it waiting for the fizz to fizz out
Not user friendly in that respect

Wonder do things still go better with Coke - the Real Thing ?
They do for me, Pepsi tastes like Mud!😄

I wish they'd go RC. Sadly, Diet RC (with the caffeine, not Diet Rite) is only available in the south.

Or maybe they could go with National Beverage (Shasta west of the rockies, Faygo to the east).
I could live with RC. Shasta on the other hand is a nogo due to them putting sucralose in all of their sodas not just in Diet. I am allergic to most artificial sweetners so if I ever become diabetic it will be water or unsweetened tea only for me.

Oh and they do sell Shasta east of the Rockies. It is in most stores here in KC.

Me_Little_Me's comment about water being full of germs reminds me of the remark attributed to the bibulous W.C. Fields: "Water? Indeed not! Fish * * * * in it!"
I heard that it was he said "Fish FUNCTION in it" - close enough to the word he likely meant, but not likely to be censored on the radio

Back