College Station TX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at Apple Maps it looks like it'd be Taylor, Houston, or Temple.

1 hr 20 min from Temple
1 hr 24 min from Houston
1 hr 20 min from Taylor

I used to live near Taylor, and have traveled Amtrak out of the Taylor stop. Taylor is pretty small, and there is not much there. The "station" is a covered open pavilion with a couple of picnic tables along side the Union Pacific building. If you use google maps and plug in the address: 199 E. 1st Street, Taylor, TX, you'll see what I mean. Also, Taylor has an Enterprise Rent-A-Car business out on the west side of town, if you need to rent a car. Temple may be a better bet. I also used to live in Houston and traveled out of there occasionally. The station is right downtown in a sketchy area, and the traffic is horrendous. I'd go with Temple.

I used to live near Taylor, and have traveled Amtrak out of the Taylor stop. Taylor is pretty small, and there is not much there. The "station" is a covered open pavilion with a couple of picnic tables along side the Union Pacific building. If you use google maps and plug in the address: 199 E. 1st Street, Taylor, TX, you'll see what I mean. Also, Taylor has an Enterprise Rent-A-Car business out on the west side of town, if you need to rent a car. Temple may be a better bet. I also used to live in Houston and traveled out of there occasionally. The station is right downtown in a sketchy area, and the traffic is horrendous. I'd go with Temple.
Thanks!

You know, there used to be a daytime coach class only train that ran between Houston and Dallas. I took it once out of Houston on my way to Chicago and back. This train would meet up with the Texas Eagle at early afternoon northbound, turn around and head southbound in the early evening after collecting passengers from the southbound Texas Eagle. This train would stop in Bryan-College station, as well as Corsicana, if I remember correctly. I think it stopped running sometime in the 1990's due to lack of funding from our congressional "leadership". Your trip on that route now includes a bus from Longview to Houston with no stop in B-CS. Looks like Amtrak is now planning on re-instating that train, but God knows when that will happen.

Well, dang. I could lave use that when I lived in Longview for college to visit my family in Houston.

In 1991 a group if us were looking at a through coach all the way deep into Mexico from Longview. But that was the year FerroMex lost all passenger rail.

Back