Colorado Ideas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciship

Service Attendant
Taking the SW Chief from KC to Flagstaff. Thinking about going to the Grand Canyon and maybe staying in Williams, AZ. Anyone take this same trip?

Last edited:
If you intend to visit both Estes Park and Winter Park or maybe just Winter Park, get off the train at Fraser-Winter Park. If it's just Estes Park, Granby's the closest station. But if you just want to drive through some mountains and then visit either of those places, Grand Junction would be a good choice.

Not too sure, but depending on the season/weather you may need tire chains on any rental car.

Last edited:
From Grand junction you can drive south to Durango. You’re also close by to Arches and Mesa Verde National Parks.

I did a one day turn Denver to granby once. Was fun to spend the afternoon in the town and have lunch. It’s a small little mountain town, pretty sure the entire police force (4 officers) were having lunch In the same restaurant I had lunch in.

Taking the Zephyr to at least Colorado from Iowa. Looking for ideas where to get off the train in Colorado (preferably not Denver) and go to Estes Park, Winter Park, etc....? Looking for suggestions. Peaceful places preferably.
What time of year are you doing this? If you are wanting to do both of those on one trip, keep in mind, that Trail Ridge Road (aka US-34), which runs from Granby, near Winter Park, thru Rocky Mountain National Park to Estes Park is closed most of the year due to heavy snowfall. You might be better off getting off in Denver, and renting a car to see the most scenery.

1609599395885.jpeg
Stay here! My favorite motel in Colorado. Step off the train and walk across the street to Hotel Denver. Get a “Colorado Room” facing the river and station. Both #5 & #6 stop mid afternoon and a couple frieghts everyday for train watching. Don’t need a rental car due to the great bus system there. Take the local busses anywhere in town or the bus to Aspen. Gorgeous in the winter!

Back