Columbus Wisconsin Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be using the Columbus, Wi Amtrak station next Tuesday for the first time. I have been past it numerous times on 7 and 8, and have paid it little attention. I will be departing on 8 to return to Chicago. My sister is starting her job in Sun Prairie, Wi which is 15 minutes or so away. Can't wait for the Talgos to Madison, but in the mean time will have to travel via Columbus.

Has anybody used this station? What is the waiting area like? It seems like the fast food restaurants are about a mile away on Dix street.

Is there any sort of shuttle from Sun Prairie to Columbus Amtrak station?

Thanks.

I've used it a number of times. The waiting area is "OK" and is safe and clean. The station manager is a really nice guy and obviously loves trains. If he's not busy with other customers you can chat him up.

As far as a shuttle or other transportation to Sun Prairie or Madison, there isn't any. There is free parking available at the station however, on both sides of the tracks. The parking area on the side of the tracks opposite the station seems to be for longer term use. At least that's where I've been directed when I had to leave my vehicle in Columbus while on extended trips (4-9 days).

You're right about the fast food nearby (try a double malt at Culver's, a Wisconsin-based mini-chain), plus there are some other local bars ;) and restaurants.

Thanks. I nice knowing that the guy is a railfan. I may get dropped off in the morning and have a long wait for 8. I know about Culvers. It is the best fast food chain out there. And I am from Chicago. LOL.

There is also Union Cab Co, from Madison. 608-242-2000. Members at this forum have used this cab co. in order to get between Madison and Columbus in the past. Be prepared to pay something on the order of $ 40 - 50 or so for this run.

Has anybody used this station? What is the waiting area like?
There is a brief description of the Columbus station in Wikipedia. Just go in by searching for the "Empire Builder train," and then scroll down the right side to the list of station stops, and click on the line for Columbus.

You can also see the station and the waiting area at various times of the year by going to YouTube, and entering a search term like "Empire Builder Columbus WI".

It's a great little > 100 year old station. Other than for the lack of a wood burning stove, it is like stepping back in time.

Has anybody used this station? What is the waiting area like? It seems like the fast food restaurants are about a mile away on Dix street.
Do go in and admire the benches in the waiting room. There's also a railroad-themed coffee shop on the opposite side of the tracks from the station.

If you have to cool your heels in Columbus, the main shopping street, James Street, is three blocks from the station. It's the way a small town ought to be. One of Louis Sullivan's jewel box bank buildings is a block down James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back